Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    I thought that this was Dana saying that Anderson would drop....not Anderson saying it?

I like Weidman and if he gets a shot then GREAT! But IMO, he won't beat Anderson or even come close to it. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the guy is on another level.

Also, if Anderson does move to WW to fight GSP....it's really going to give the impression that GSP was ducking Anderson. GSP won't even move up to a catch weight while Anderson moves from a truly 205 fighter to 170 just to get the fight.
    While I am not happy with the way GSP has handled the Hendricks/Diaz situation, I will say that GSP is probably to busy defending his championship belt to want to fight Silva.

Please do not make it seem like Anderson is the hero in all of this. If Silva can destroy Weidman then great, that is what the champ is supposed to do. Yeah his pay day will be a lesser one, but that is in large part his fault. If he cares about his wallet so much, why not rack up a few lesser pay days (they add up), and when he starts fighting regularly then he can have a vanity fight. If he would fight every couple of months like Bones then no one would be complaining. Hell, Bones is about to be defending his LHW title against his 2nd consecutive MW opponent, but that still pisses me off less than Anderson. I feel this way because Bones actually fights regularly. This is coming from a guy who dislikes Bones, and loves Hendo.

I like Weidman and if he gets a shot then GREAT! But IMO, he won't beat Anderson or even come close to it. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, the guy is on another level.
    I've been a strong advocate for a Weidman fight, and I don't know anyone who is saying that Weidman is a lock. I think most people calling for Weidman just want Anderson to actually defend the MW belt against a contender, even if he's heavily favored to win.

Also, if Anderson does move to WW to fight GSP....it's really going to give the impression that GSP was ducking Anderson. GSP won't even move up to a catch weight while Anderson moves from a truly 205 fighter to 170 just to get the fight.
    I don't know that you can say GSP is ducking Anderson without saying Anderson is ducking Jones at the same time.

Georges screwed up, in my opinion, by bypassing Hendricks for Diaz. He's lost any gravity that the "I'm just trying to defend my WW belt against the best" argument may have held.

But if you're going to cast any ducking aspersions on Georges for not moving up, you'd be a hypocrite if you aren't holding Anderson similarly accountable for ducking Jones. After all, Georges should be seen as the easier fight for Anderson, he's the bigger fighter, and when two fighters of equal skill meet, the bigger one should win. Georges would be torn apart if he were to duck Hendricks to seek a vanity fight with Ben Henderson, for instance.

Sadly, the overtly mercinary nature of the game is exposed, and nobody looks good here, not Georges, not Anderson or Jones, not dana or the fertittas. Guys like Hendricks, Henderson and Weidman [or Rockhold] are left holding the bag while champions chase their egos and dana "makes the fights fans want to see."

Quote Originally Posted by hass View Post
    Wish he was chasing a superfight with Jones.
    Wish he was just defending at MW.
    Wish he didn't have the heart of an accountant.
    Wish dana had any sense of integrity.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-15-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Keep wishing, Riv.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    While I am not happy with the way GSP has handled the Hendricks/Diaz situation, I will say that GSP is probably to busy defending his championship belt to want to fight Silva.

Please do not make it seem like Anderson is the hero in all of this. If Silva can destroy Weidman then great, that is what the champ is supposed to do. Yeah his pay day will be a lesser one, but that is in large part his fault. If he cares about his wallet so much, why not rack up a few lesser pay days (they add up), and when he starts fighting regularly then he can have a vanity fight. If he would fight every couple of months like Bones then no one would be complaining. Hell, Bones is about to be defending his LHW title against his 2nd consecutive MW opponent, but that still pisses me off less than Anderson. I feel this way because Bones actually fights regularly. This is coming from a guy who dislikes Bones, and loves Hendo.
    I'm not making him out to be a hero because I also agree that he needs to defend more. I'm just saying that all this chaos over Weidman is just not that big a deal to me. It's about defending his title to me...period. I don't care who he fights as long as he fights. But Weidman is not going to go in there and do anything to Anderson that any other fighter has tried to do and failed. I STILL don't think Anderson has even put out 100% in any fight. He hasn't needed to. And Weidman hasn't shown me anything that says he is the guy that will. It will just be the same story. Anderson will go in there, walk through Weidman, and then get criticized for not moving up. But without Anderson defending more, who can argue? So while I'm on the same page for him defending, I just don't think he has ANY competition at MW and not much at LHW.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I've been a strong advocate for a Weidman fight, and I don't know anyone who is saying that Weidman is a lock. I think most people calling for Weidman just want Anderson to actually defend the MW belt against a contender, even if he's heavily favored to win.

I don't know that you can say GSP is ducking Anderson without saying Anderson is ducking Jones at the same time.

Georges screwed up, in my opinion, by bypassing Hendricks for Diaz. He's lost any gravity that the "I'm just trying to defend my WW belt against the best" argument may have held.

But if you're going to cast any ducking aspersions on Georges for not moving up, you'd be a hypocrite if you aren't holding Anderson similarly accountable for ducking Jones. After all, Georges should be seen as the easier fight for Anderson, he's the bigger fighter, and when two fighters of equal skill meet, the bigger one should win. Georges would be torn apart if he were to duck Hendricks to seek a vanity fight with Ben Henderson, for instance.

Sadly, the overtly mercinary nature of the game is exposed, and nobody looks good here, not Georges, not Anderson or Jones, not dana or the fertittas. Guys like Hendricks, Henderson and Weidman [or Rockhold] are left holding the bag while champions chase their egos and dana "makes the fights fans want to see."

rh
    I agree. And I'm not saying that Anderson isn't ducking a fight with Jones. Personally, I think the GSP fight is stupid and has no merit....except for GSP. I think Anderson needs to move out of the MW division (because no one there can beat him) and fight at LHW (because I personally think he cleans house there as well). So I'm not trying to say that Anderson is a saint here, but I am also not putting all blame on him either. Dana and the UFC is the boss and make fights.....make it happen.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

I think its time for Anderson to make the complete leap to 205. Fight Weidman since he is the last contender at MW then make the jump to 205. Going down to 170 to face GSP at his age will be hell on his body.

Wish he was just defending at MW.
    Wish he didn't have the heart of an accountant.
    Wish dana had any sense of integrity.

rh
    See, I don't like this because Hendricks and Weidman just want to be where GSP and Silva are. They try to avoid fighting other guys since they feel entitled to a title shot.

This is Silva's job. You call it the heart of an accountant? I would call it the heart of a professional. Who here would take a massive pay cut to do a job equally hard, just because some people on the internet were complaining? If he loses the fight, his ability to make money in the long term is drastically decreased. It's a huge risk, and as a guy who's pushing 40 he just doesn't want to take it. You don't have to like it, but people should at least understand where he's coming from.

Zombie is born!

I'm not making him out to be a hero because I also agree that he needs to defend more. I'm just saying that all this chaos over Weidman is just not that big a deal to me. It's about defending his title to me...period. I don't care who he fights as long as he fights. But Weidman is not going to go in there and do anything to Anderson that any other fighter has tried to do and failed. I STILL don't think Anderson has even put out 100% in any fight. He hasn't needed to. And Weidman hasn't shown me anything that says he is the guy that will. It will just be the same story. Anderson will go in there, walk through Weidman, and then get criticized for not moving up. But without Anderson defending more, who can argue? So while I'm on the same page for him defending, I just don't think he has ANY competition at MW and not much at LHW.

I agree. And I'm not saying that Anderson isn't ducking a fight with Jones. Personally, I think the GSP fight is stupid and has no merit....except for GSP. I think Anderson needs to move out of the MW division (because no one there can beat him) and fight at LHW (because I personally think he cleans house there as well). So I'm not trying to say that Anderson is a saint here, but I am also not putting all blame on him either. Dana and the UFC is the boss and make fights.....make it happen.
    I am just fine with him dominating Middle Weight. If he can continue to beat the number one cotender then good for him. I don't think anybody needs to move up if they don't want to, but I do think a champ needs to defend his belt. Regardless of talent gap, the number one guy should fight the number two guy.

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    See, I don't like this because Hendricks and Weidman just want to be where GSP and Silva are. They try to avoid fighting other guys since they feel entitled to a title shot.

This is Silva's job. You call it the heart of an accountant? I would call it the heart of a professional. Who here would take a massive pay cut to do a job equally hard, just because some people on the internet were complaining? If he loses the fight, his ability to make money in the long term is drastically decreased. It's a huge risk, and as a guy who's pushing 40 he just doesn't want to take it. You don't have to like it, but people should at least understand where he's coming from.
    Who exactly is Weidman and Hendricks trying to avoid?

Maybe mind of a professional but certainly not heart. Heart has nothing to do with money.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Quote Originally Posted by goodtimes View Post
    There is a difference from "normal" jobs like yours and mine and being the champion of a competitive combat organization.

Anderson's job is to defend the MW belt. That literally encompasses his job description. If he doesn't want to do that job, then let someone else do it.

I absolutely understand him wanting to make money. I wish he could make Bisping-money for fighting Weidman or Rockhold. I wish fighters were paid commeasurate to their skills, and that the fanbase of MMA wasn't so fickle and ill-informed. I wish dana had the integrity to put the best fighters together instead of the best-selling fighters together.

But none of that changes the fact that Anderson's job is to defend the MW belt, and that it always has been. He signed on to take risks when he became a professional fighter. He signed on to defend the belt when he took on Rich Franklin--who could have easily balked at fighting him when he was still an unknown quantity with one win over Leben to his credit in the UFC. I don't want Anderson to be miserable, I just want him to fulfill his job description.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

There is a difference from "normal" jobs like yours and mine and being the champion of a competitive combat organization.

Anderson's job is to defend the MW belt. That literally encompasses his job description. If he doesn't want to do that job, then let someone else do it.

I absolutely understand him wanting to make money. I wish he could make Bisping-money for fighting Weidman or Rockhold. I wish fighters were paid commeasurate to their skills, and that the fanbase of MMA wasn't so fickle and ill-informed. I wish dana had the integrity to put the best fighters together instead of the best-selling fighters together.

But none of that changes the fact that Anderson's job is to defend the MW belt, and that it always has been. He signed on to take risks when he became a professional fighter. He signed on to defend the belt when he took on Rich Franklin--who could have easily balked at fighting him when he was still an unknown quantity with one win over Leben to his credit in the UFC. I don't want Anderson to be miserable, I just want him to fulfill his job description.

rh

Good point about Rich! I was gonna say that earlier, but I'm at work and didn't have time.

Thread Information