Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

See.....I just don't see Weidman as a clear #1 contender. Other than Munoz, I don't see who he really beat for a title shot. Hell Bisping has fought better competition so has Wandi. He seems content to wait it out and declare he's the #1 contender instead of fighting one of these bigger names first. JMO but I'm not impressed with his resume, lots of big names in the MW division and he's only fought one top 10 contender. I think him fighting Anderson now would be a waste....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I missed this exchange, but feel compelled to correct the erroneous assumptions made in it:

Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    You're thinking about it backwards. Weidman goes out and publicly states he thinks he should be next in line to fight Silva. He keeps saying this, his coaches start saying this, then Anderson says no thanks. On the other hand, CB Dollaway doesn't say shit to Anderson, his coaches don't either, so Anderson doesn't acknowledge his existence. That doesn't mean Anderson acknowledges Weidman is next in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    So you think he Bispinged his way to the number one contendership?
    Quote Originally Posted by tucker50 View Post
    I guess. I'm just saying Anderson wouldn't have said anything about Weidman if Weidman wasn't calling him out.
    No. That's not what happened at all.
    A Timeline:
    *Weidman destroys Munoz--who probably would have gotten a title shot with a win.
    *dana says Chris is probably next in line after the bout
    *soares--unprompted--issues statement about Weidman being an unknown nobody and says Anderson won't fight him. Calls out Bisping, GSP or Nick Diaz as potential opponents.
    *Weidman--when asked by reporters--says he'd love to fight Anderson
    *soares and other parasites in Anderson's camp continue to dismiss Weidman, discuss how Munoz was never any good to begin with. *Bisping follows suit in attempting to make his case. Hordes of idiots from the internet follow as well: Munoz was fat, out of shape, never top 5, etc.
    *Anderson offers to save UFC 151 by fighting any LHW who isn't training.
    *In response to direct questions as to whether Anderson is ducking him, Weidman says yes, he is ducking me.
    *Anderson himself comes out with a statement that he has no intention of fighting Weidman, and that he's not fighting again in 2012.
    *Weidman begins unprompted statements that Anderson is ducking him, opts for elective surgery since champ is unavailable till 2013.
    *Anderson reverses decision to not fight again in 2012 by facing Bonnar at LHW.
    *Weidman signs on to face Boetsch in contender eliminator, is subsequently injured.

Weidman's name was in Anderson's camp's mouth the same night he beat Munoz. He wasn't the aggressor in the information war. It could be seen as him trying to play the game and increase his name recognition, because the best arguement for him not facing Anderson is that he won't sell as many PPV's as Bisping.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Silva mentioned Weidman first, but that was because a journalist asked him the question.
    Actually no. soares issued the first statement, and to my knowledge, it was unprompted. He typically tries to nip fights that he or Anderson don't find attractive in the bud by waging an information spin-doctor war against them: He did it with Hendo's rematch, he did it with Marquardt's rematch, he did it with the sonnen rematch, and he's doing it here.

Then Chris responded, then Anderson responded.

So technically, Chris responded before Anderson, but it was prompted by Anderson's camp and a reporter's question.

I still think the fact that Anderson himself stated that he has no intention of facing Weidman is a totally unprecedented thing. If Georges had said something like that about Hendricks, or Jones said that about anyone, the interweb would run around screaming the sky is fall.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

3. Default

Riv many of us has already said the sky is falling [ and it is in Russia.lol.] probely including you too, and I think some of it fell on the UFC's match makers by some of the matches they've made.

i love anderson silva as a fighter, but the way he and his camp approach this whole PR thing really turns me sour. it's ed soares in particular... but as rivet pointed out, damn near everything we hear out of his camp is some unprompted, manipulative tidbit discounting the skills of potential challengers who may offer a lesser buyrate.

it seems his entire job description is to plant these bits of misinformation into the periphery unprompted, which then diffuse out into the larger mma journalist community. mmabay or cagepotato or mmanews throw these quotes around, and they're picked up by a lot of less discriminating casual fans, and public perception of the situation sways.

and we play directly into his fucking game.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I still think the fact that Anderson himself stated that he has no intention of facing Weidman is a totally unprecedented thing. If Georges had said something like that about Hendricks
    rh
    Anderson just said after the GSP/Condit fight, that he would fight Bisping or Weidman if the GSP fight didnt come through... Bisping obviousally losing...

Dana just said he is working on Anderson's next fight and it was most likely going to be weidman...

GSP just said how he thought Hendricks lost to Koscheck, and he didnt want to fight someone who lost to someone he alrealdy beat... While he wanted the Diaz fight, who just previously lost to Condit... who GSP just beat... GSP said several times he thought condit won their fight.

Im not going to be an idiot and call out champions behind the keyboard, saying GSP is ducking Hendricks or whatever... because that is crazy... But GSP is actually not fighting the #1 contender... while Anderson most likely is...

I wish dana had the integrity to put the best fighters together instead of the best-selling fighters together.

But none of that changes the fact that Anderson's job is to defend the MW belt, and that it always has been.
    rh
    What? Anderson doesnt make the fights, the UFC does... Dana has a huge influence over the title fights/big fights. I dont see how Dana, Anderson's boss' plays a role in "what Anderson's job is" Anderson fights who the UFC wants him to fight. Dana, Anderson, and Soares all said as much.

He signed on to take risks when he became a professional fighter. He signed on to defend the belt when he took on Rich Franklin--who could have easily balked at fighting him when he was still an unknown quantity with one win over Leben to his credit in the UFC. I don't want Anderson to be miserable, I just want him to fulfill his job description.

rh
    Anderson was one of the most well known MW's in the world at the time... The only MW more well known at the time was Henderson, who was locked down in pride... Not a possibility at the time... Anderson was on par with guys like Marquardt and Okami. MMA fans knew who Anderson was well before he came into the UFC.

It wasnt like it is now, back then. The UFC mainly appealed to their hardcore fans, who were more educated... So Anderson would have been a decent draw at the time...

No. That's not what happened at all.
    A Timeline:
    *Weidman destroys Munoz--who probably would have gotten a title shot with a win.
    *dana says Chris is probably next in line after the bout
    *soares--unprompted--issues statement about Weidman being an unknown nobody and says Anderson won't fight him. Calls out Bisping, GSP or Nick Diaz as potential opponents.
    *Weidman--when asked by reporters--says he'd love to fight Anderson
    *soares and other parasites in Anderson's camp continue to dismiss Weidman, discuss how Munoz was never any good to begin with. *Bisping follows suit in attempting to make his case. Hordes of idiots from the internet follow as well: Munoz was fat, out of shape, never top 5, etc.
    *Anderson offers to save UFC 151 by fighting any LHW who isn't training.
    *In response to direct questions as to whether Anderson is ducking him, Weidman says yes, he is ducking me.
    *Anderson himself comes out with a statement that he has no intention of fighting Weidman, and that he's not fighting again in 2012.
    *Weidman begins unprompted statements that Anderson is ducking him, opts for elective surgery since champ is unavailable till 2013.
    *Anderson reverses decision to not fight again in 2012 by facing Bonnar at LHW.
    *Weidman signs on to face Boetsch in contender eliminator, is subsequently injured.

rh
    One thing I dont see in the timeline is Anderson being offered a fight with Weidman and turning it down...

When Dana comes out and says Anderson wont fight Chris, or they make some other ridiculous fight, then we should be pissed. Weidman was injured and out during most of the timeline.

Dana will never say that Anderson won't fight someone because that will make Dana look bad. Just wait until Anderson has been retired for a week, and looks at Dana the wrong way. I guarantee Dana will tell the world that Anderson ducked lots of people.

And yes when I say ducked I mean ducked. When you and your team run a mud slinging campaign to discredit the number one contender, that in my opinion is ducking, maybe even worse than ducking.

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Dana will never say that Anderson won't fight someone because that will make Dana look bad. Just wait until Anderson has been retired for a week, and looks at Dana the wrong way. I guarantee Dana will tell the world that Anderson ducked lots of people.

And yes when I say ducked I mean ducked. When you and your team run a mud slinging campaign to discredit the number one contender, that in my opinion is ducking, maybe even worse than ducking.
    lol ok buddy...

because Dana is one to hold his tongue... Dana always speaks his mind, he has no problem going after his biggest stars.

I think Weidman is the most deserving, but it isnt absurd to question his resume... His performance against Munoz was Great... Munoz himself, isnt Great.

I am just fine with him dominating Middle Weight. If he can continue to beat the number one cotender then good for him. I don't think anybody needs to move up if they don't want to, but I do think a champ needs to defend his belt. Regardless of talent gap, the number one guy should fight the number two guy.

I used to think I was fine with Anderson staying at MW, but I'm leaning the other way now. For me, its kind of like a video game....I don't like to play on a level that I can dominate just because I can dominate it. I like to challenge myself at the harder levels. I don't see Anderson having any issues at MW whatsoever. Maybe Lombard can come in and just bull rush him into some kind of mistake but I just think Anderson is too smart and too technical to fall into those games.

But what I am saying is that, and this is just my opinion, I think he should go to LHW and run through that division as well and really cement this legacy of his with no doubt. I do think that Jones would pose problems for him but I think he is the only one and I think he beats him too. That would just cap off the argument of GOAT. Then do what you want. He would get an immediate shot at Jones and if he wins, maybe fight 1 or 2 more there and he is golden. No more arguments about Anderson. This is just what I would like to see happen. GSP has nothing for Anderson at 185 or 170.....and I like GSP.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    lol ok buddy...

because Dana is one to hold his tongue... Dana always speaks his mind, he has no problem going after his biggest stars.

I think Weidman is the most deserving, but it isnt absurd to question his resume... His performance against Munoz was Great... Munoz himself, isnt Great.
    After all the times Dana has said Anderson is the best in the world, what would Dana do if Silva turns down a fight? Cut him? So bellator can sign him and instantly be a real threat? Publicly ridicule him? Makes Dana look bad, and pisses Anderson off (who still hasn't signed a new contract has he? I really don't know). You are right Dana is generally quick to run his mouth, but this time it would be a lose-lose.

Quote Originally Posted by TN94z View Post
    I used to think I was fine with Anderson staying at MW, but I'm leaning the other way now. For me, its kind of like a video game....I don't like to play on a level that I can dominate just because I can dominate it. I like to challenge myself at the harder levels. I don't see Anderson having any issues at MW whatsoever. Maybe Lombard can come in and just bull rush him into some kind of mistake but I just think Anderson is too smart and too technical to fall into those games.

But what I am saying is that, and this is just my opinion, I think he should go to LHW and run through that division as well and really cement this legacy of his with no doubt. I do think that Jones would pose problems for him but I think he is the only one and I think he beats him too. That would just cap off the argument of GOAT. Then do what you want. He would get an immediate shot at Jones and if he wins, maybe fight 1 or 2 more there and he is golden. No more arguments about Anderson. This is just what I would like to see happen. GSP has nothing for Anderson at 185 or 170.....and I like GSP.

I would bet on GSP over Anderson at 170.

Thread Information