Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva Would Move to Welterweight to Challenge Georges St-Pierre

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    After all the times Dana has said Anderson is the best in the world, what would Dana do if Silva turns down a fight? Cut him? So bellator can sign him and instantly be a real threat? Publicly ridicule him? Makes Dana look bad, and pisses Anderson off (who still hasn't signed a new contract has he? I really don't know). You are right Dana is generally quick to run his mouth, but this time it would be a lose-lose.
    Dana has criticized Anderson several times in the past. He went after guys like Tito, Couture, and Penn... And look at what he did to Jones, one of their rising stars... That was clearly a lose/lose as well for the UFC and Jones... publicly trashing him like that.

Weidman said he thinks Anderson is ducking him, but never said that the UFC offered him the fight and Anderson refused. That right there would be ducking.

I understand people wanting to see Silva defend his title more. Someone pointed out that he defended his belt the least in the last 2 years I believe. That's fair. But who did Silva not fight in those 2 years? Other than Weidman, who deserved a shot and didn't get it? He beat Sonnen, Okami and Belfort, in my opinion the 3 most deserving contenders.

I hear two contradicting arguments here all the time, not sure they are made by the same people, but here they are. One, I hear people complain about Silva defending his title against undeserving contenders like Maia. Two, I here people say that Silva only wants vanity fights, when really he should be defending his title twice a year even if the contender doesn't quite deserve the shot.

I here people talk about the purity of the sport and that superfights are for casual fans. I guess I have a different opinion on the matter. I think that a casual fan needs to see the belt being defended in order to understand that those are the 2 best fighters in that division fighting for the belt. But as a more serious fan we should be able to understand that after 7 years of reigning the MW division, fighting GSP would be a much more meaningful fight then defending the title yet again against an up and comer. I think as fans we are lucky that the number 1 and the number 2 fighters in the world who have been dominant for the last 5-7 years are only separated by 15 lbs.

On the fact that Jones defends his title way more than Anderson, I think two factors play a crucial role in that. One, Jones is 13 years younger and two, Silva has cleared out his division in the last 7 years, Jones has not.

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    After all the times Dana has said Anderson is the best in the world, what would Dana do if Silva turns down a fight? Cut him? So bellator can sign him and instantly be a real threat? Publicly ridicule him? Makes Dana look bad, and pisses Anderson off (who still hasn't signed a new contract has he? I really don't know). You are right Dana is generally quick to run his mouth, but this time it would be a lose-lose.
    Dana was really pushing the Anderson #1 fighter in the world thing when Fedor was on top. Since he hasn't lost in the UFC people have bought that.
    But as far as fighting at 170, I like it. If he is going to fight Georges 170 should be were it's at. I think it would be one hell of a fight and despite what most people think it would favor GSP.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    I understand people wanting to see Silva defend his title more. Someone pointed out that he defended his belt the least in the last 2 years I believe. That's fair. But who did Silva not fight in those 2 years? Other than Weidman, who deserved a shot and didn't get it? He beat Sonnen, Okami and Belfort, in my opinion the 3 most deserving contenders.

I hear two contradicting arguments here all the time, not sure they are made by the same people, but here they are. One, I hear people complain about Silva defending his title against undeserving contenders like Maia. Two, I here people say that Silva only wants vanity fights, when really he should be defending his title twice a year even if the contender doesn't quite deserve the shot.

I here people talk about the purity of the sport and that superfights are for casual fans. I guess I have a different opinion on the matter. I think that a casual fan needs to see the belt being defended in order to understand that those are the 2 best fighters in that division fighting for the belt. But as a more serious fan we should be able to understand that after 7 years of reigning the MW division, fighting GSP would be a much more meaningful fight then defending the title yet again against an up and comer. I think as fans we are lucky that the number 1 and the number 2 fighters in the world who have been dominant for the last 5-7 years are only separated by 15 lbs.

On the fact that Jones defends his title way more than Anderson, I think two factors play a crucial role in that. One, Jones is 13 years younger and two, Silva has cleared out his division in the last 7 years, Jones has not.
    A) You've already had the "Anderson-Maia" discussion just a little over a week ago. Several posters picked you apart and you decided you had enough and ran away from that thread.

B) If Anderson truly feels like he cleared out his division (which he hasn't), and he wants to chase a superfight, why not go after Jones who is a bigger challenge and still unofficially undefeated? He's already fought at 205 multiple times and he could avenge the losses of Shogun, Belfort, and close friend Lyoto.

But you know what? You're terrible at discussions and you don't know how to make a valid point, so all this was pointless. I should have just deleted everything I just wrote, but I already put forth the effort into typing it, so I'm gonna submit it.

Don't bother answering.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    A) You've already had the "Anderson-Maia" discussion just a little over a week ago. Several posters picked you apart and you decided you had enough and ran away from that thread.

B) If Anderson truly feels like he cleared out his division (which he hasn't), and he wants to chase a superfight, why not go after Jones who is a bigger challenge and still unofficially undefeated? He's already fought at 205 multiple times and he could avenge the losses of Shogun, Belfort, and close friend Lyoto.

But you know what? You're terrible at discussions and you don't know how to make a valid point, so all this was pointless. I should have just deleted everything I just wrote, but I already put forth the effort into typing it, so I'm gonna submit it.

Don't bother answering.
    Haha ding ding we have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    Anderson just said after the GSP/Condit fight, that he would fight Bisping or Weidman if the GSP fight didnt come through... Bisping obviousally losing...
    Wait, what? He said this right after the GSP/Condit fight? Please post a link.

And even if he did, it still doesn't change what I posted...that he came out and said he has no intention of facing Weidman.

Dana just said he is working on Anderson's next fight and it was most likely going to be weidman...
    First, when he can make a buck off it, dana could tell me water is wet and I'd ask for a second opinion.
    Second, Weidman is most likely the next fight because there are no other options at this point.
    Third, I'm not even lobbying for Anderson to face Weidman. I'm lobbying for him to defend his belt against a top MW. Not Cung Le. Not Nick Diaz. Not a LHW.

GSP just said how he thought Hendricks lost to Koscheck, and he didnt want to fight someone who lost to someone he alrealdy beat... While he wanted the Diaz fight, who just previously lost to Condit... who GSP just beat... GSP said several times he thought condit won their fight.
    Wow. You suck at reading comprehension. Maybe you should go upstairs and ask mom to help you with the hard parts.

I'm not defending Georges. The fact that he's facing Diaz instead of Hendricks is reprehensible. But it's still not as bad as coming out and stating "I have no intention of facing" him.

Im not going to be an idiot and call out champions behind the keyboard, saying GSP is ducking Hendricks or whatever... because that is crazy... But GSP is actually not fighting the #1 contender... while Anderson most likely is...
    Well, to be fair, you are indeed a fucking idiot. You prove this every time you type.
    But you're still trying to compare situations that don't apply at all. If Anderson had any chance at all of facing anyone other than the #1 contender, he'd have taken it.

What? Anderson doesnt make the fights, the UFC does... Dana has a huge influence over the title fights/big fights. I dont see how Dana, Anderson's boss' plays a role in "what Anderson's job is" Anderson fights who the UFC wants him to fight. Dana, Anderson, and Soares all said as much.
    Read it again dumbfuck. Slowly this time. Sound out the hard parts. I literally stated that I wished dana had the integrity to make the better fights. You've agreed with me, moron.

Anderson was one of the most well known MW's in the world at the time... The only MW more well known at the time was Henderson, who was locked down in pride... Not a possibility at the time... Anderson was on par with guys like Marquardt and Okami. MMA fans knew who Anderson was well before he came into the UFC.
    Uhm, no. He had some hype coming in after the Leben KO, but he was far from the #3 most well-known MW. When Franklin signed the bout agreement, Anderson wasn't even ranked top 5 by most sources. Marquardt was somewhere in the mix as a Pancrase champ, but Okami wasn't even considered a solid top 15. Henderson was obviously more famous, but Paulo Filho was in his pre-addict prime, Lindland and Horn were available [although dana wouldn't touch Matt out of spite], Denis Kang and Misaki were all considered to be at or above Anderson, and were easily as famous or more famous.

It wasnt like it is now, back then. The UFC mainly appealed to their hardcore fans, who were more educated... So Anderson would have been a decent draw at the time...
    Yeah. Tell me more, because I was busy watching Friends reruns or something. Please, continue to educate us all with your scintillating revisionist nonsense.

One thing I dont see in the timeline is Anderson being offered a fight with Weidman and turning it down...
    One thing I've never seen in any of your posts is any degree of relevance.

Have I ever said that Anderson declined a fight with Weidman? Then why bring it up? Over and over, as though it means something?

When Dana comes out and says Anderson wont fight Chris, or they make some other ridiculous fight, then we should be pissed.
    Again, I place about as much stock in dana's quotes as I place in your punkassed bullshit, but you seem to have me mistaken with someone who is focused on Anderson fighting Weidman. Unsurprisingly, because you're an idiot who often makes mistakes.

I just want him to defend at MW before July. I want the integrity of the belt to be restored. I don't care if he faces Rockhold or Weidman, and I've said repeatedly he's heavily favored to beat either one.

Weidman was injured and out during most of the timeline.
    No, he wasn't. That's more revisionist bullshit from you.
    He opted for an elective corrective surgery after Anderson stated he wasn't going to fight again in 2012. He then got injured after returning to train for Boetsch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimbo> Rampage View Post
    Weidman said he thinks Anderson is ducking him, but never said that the UFC offered him the fight and Anderson refused. That right there would be ducking.
    ...or, like, when the champion openly states that he has no intention of facing the guy who the CEO of the org stated was the #1 contender. That right there would be ducking.

Quote Originally Posted by Anderson Silva
    ‘I think all athletes in this division will get their opportunity in going for the title. I don't have any intention of fighting with him (Wiedman). I still think he has a lot to do in the UFC. I am in a comfortable position and I am no longer a child, I am 37 years old, he's a kid that is starting. Obviously, this might happen, but, I have two fights on my contract and I think one of them will be with St. Pierre and I don't really have an intention in fighting with him (Weidman) because I'm not a fool. I'm already an oldie, you know?'
    ā€˜Oldieā€™ Anderson Silva is no 'fool,' has no intention of fighting the 'kid' Chris Weidman - MMAmania.com

you need to remove any reference to me from your sig, as well, punkass.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-16-2013 at 04:00 AM. Reason: fixed quote format
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

7. Default

I don't think I've ever seen Riv this fired up before... holy shit....

Damn Riv... you scary...
    ------------------

What happens if Silva wins?

He would have to vacate a title or else he'd put the UFC thru hell.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post

Don't bother answering.
    Dammit you got me again... you are so good at this!

I'm curious though, how do you define clearing out a division? Is that when you are literally the only fighter in that division? Do you actually have to kill the other fighters? If holding the belt for 7 years and having only one of your fights actually look challenging isn't clearing out a division, then I don't know what is...

There, I kept it short and simple for you.

Thread Information