Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Rampage' Jackson on free agency: 'It's time for the sport to take care of me'

Default 'Rampage' Jackson on free agency: 'It's time for the sport to take care of me'

'Rampage' Jackson on free agency: 'It's time for the sport to take care of me' | News

Jackson (32-11 MMA, 7-5 UFC), though, recently told SiriusXM's "The Abe Kanan Show" he just wants to ensure he gets the appreciation he deserves.

"I just want to be with an organization that's going to treat me right," he said on Thursday. "I've been fighting for 12 long years. I just feel like I've done a lot for this sport, and I just feel like it's time for the sport to take care of me. I've been taking care of the sport.

"I've been putting a lot of butts in chairs. I've been trying to be entertaining, and I feel like I put my body on the line. I've been fighting injured for like the last six fights. I feel like I've put my body on the line for this sport, and I think it's time for this sport to have my back a little bit."

Jackson, a longtime PRIDE fighter, ultimately went 7-5 in the UFC. As MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) recently reported, he made nearly $16 million during his time in the UFC, according to company president Dana White. But his constant clashes with UFC officials in recent years, as well as a high-profile arrest in 2008 for two felonies related to hit and run and evading police, turned the relationship sour. Jackson also launched an acting career that took away from his time in the cage, which drew some ire from White.

Jackson, though, said he's still committed to the sport.

"Any organization out there, if they want to have my back and treat me like the way I feel I should be treated, I'll go and hype up their shows," he said. "That's what I do. I get people interested.

"I don't need to fight. My kids are secure, and my family is secure. I don't need to fight, but I like to entertain people. I still feel like I have something to prove still."

In addition to Teixeira, Jackson also suffered recent losses to Ryan Bader and Jon Jones. He said the Bader defeat, which came during an early-2012 show in Japan, was especially frustrating. Jackson, who lost every round of the fight, also said it contributed to his reasoning for splitting with the UFC.

"That's why I have no respect for Ryan Bader. He sucks," Jackson said. "I told the guy, 'Come on.' He knew I was injured. I didn't make weight. I told him, 'Listen, man. I ain't going to beat around (the bush). Everybody knows I like to keep it real. Just make it an exciting fight.'

"I didn't care about winning or losing the fight. I love Japan. I love the fans there. I wanted an exciting fight. But yeah, that's what these guys are doing. That's one reason I don't want to be a part of the UFC. See, these guys in the UFC care more about winning and getting the W than putting on a show. But at the same time, I don't blame them because if you lose two times in a row in the UFC, you can be out of there. They're just protecting their careers."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I also hope he gets exactly what he deserves, but I think that what I think he deserves is very different from what he thinks he deserves.

3. Default

Any employer that not only doesn't fire you for this:

... but also helps bail you out, should never be accused of not taking care of you.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    Any employer that not only doesn't fire you for this:

... but also helps bail you out, should never be accused of not taking care of you.
    What do you expect from a guy who who thinks that a sport that has made him 16 million, owes him? Or a guy who says he doesn't respect a former opponent because the guy didn't fight how he wanted him to fight.

5. Default

Didnt he make 15 mil ALONE from his ufc contracts in like 5 years? What the fuck is he talking about?
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

This guy defines delusional idiot
    LJS-NEMS

I wanna bet that Rampage's next opponent will be Alexander or possibly a rematch with Jardine..some little promoter is going to see dollar signs and fail hard with it..Yvel could be really fun.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

8. Default

Rampage vs Yvel at 205. Let Yvel KO him.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I found that far more amusing than any of his recycled "yo bref stank" jokes.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

10. Default

Big problem with people these days thinking the world owes them. Yes Page put some butts in seats, but probely made more than 90% than other fighters + a bail out

Thread Information