Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz has no showed the last three "countdown" tapings

Quote Originally Posted by cjamis000 View Post
    i just hope they let diaz fight. GSP asked for this fight and he should be given it... and after GSP takes diaz down and hate fucks him for 5 rounds, dana can fire nick diaz in the cage on ppv. an example needs to be made
    It's a little rough around the edges, but I like it. Unfortunately it won't happen because in this day in this day in age being a lowlife sells.

I am aware that Diaz is talented.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    It's a little rough around the edges, but I like it. Unfortunately it won't happen because in this day in this day in age being a lowlife sells.

I am aware that Diaz is talented.
    i agree he is talented, and i actually like watching him fight. but, at some point, he needs to take his job seriously and fulfill his obligations. i can see him ending up like rampage... dragging on for years about how the ufc dosnt take care of him and he dosnt make enough money when dana white and company have done plenty to accommodate him. he is ungrateful and its annoying

I can solve Dana's problem. Get the other previous countdown footage. Dive into the footage that wasn't used. Show that.

Who cares. He didn't show up to the taping. They will get something out of him. They knew it was going to be difficult going in.

Like Hoss said they got ten other ww's waiting. Diaz better not go to far b/c I am sure Johny would love to get a phone call saying, "would you rather fight for the belt?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Is it in Nick's job description though?

Is Nick obligated to attend promotional events outside of press conferences, weigh ins and post fight events?
    I would imagine signing a title or main event fight contract includes the obligations to show up and participate in whatever publicity the UFC deems necessary to sell the fight.

I think (not saying it is in Nicks contract) a fighter should be able to be a top level fighter and not be obligated to jump through all the monkey hoops the UFC asks... Really, is it required to be spilling your guts on camera to hype a fight and pulls fans heart strings by talking about your dad committing suicide?
    I think or any fighter has the option of how in depth the actual interview goes. They are always in control of the answers.

Nick should be able to fight in the UFC, fight for main events or title fights and not have to put himself out there on all the promotional stuff the UFC does if he is willing to be paid less.
    Unfortunately from a business standpoint it doesn't really work to have fighters just show up to fight at high levels. Even with a reduced pay it doesn't offset the losses in PR. With the UFC trying to continually expand they want all the exposure they can get and having people not show up for this hurts things in the long run.

I have no clue if Nick is obligated to do so or not but think for less pay, fighters should have the option to not participate in media obligations. What other sport requires players to participate in major media obligations if they want to compete for the championship.

Would the NFL boot a team from not playing for the championship because one of the teams QB would not do a promo show?
    Every major sport has media requirements for the players and coaches involved. I can't speak for every single one but there are penalties to the players for not making themselves available to the press. The NFL for instance hands out pretty significant fines to players that no show media days during the lead up to the Superbowl.

[/quote]
    It seems very clear Nick has anxiety issues and struggles in very public and social environments, true mma is not about the press.[/QUOTE]

Personally I don't buy the anxiety thing. Consider that he can fight and do interviews post fight in front of 15,000 or more people on a given night and has no hiccups in doing so. He also teaches classes to several people at once. Has no problem putting himself out there when it suits his personal needs. I don't really see it as being anxiety there are certainly social interaction issues there but it's not anxiety or a fear.
    Last edited by Rise; 02-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpac77 View Post
    You guys calling for Diaz to be fired are retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged).

No-showing a press conference is one thing, that's much much worse than no-showing a UFC produced countdown TV show.

As far as press conferences go, the UFC is most likely obligated to the venue and/or the city/town hosting the event.

As far as the Countdown show is concerned, that's just UFC promo stuff. Nick's only pissing off UFC employees by no showing Countdown. By no-showing a press conference, he's pissing off local government officials, members of the press, etc (in addition to UFC staff).

I'd also wonder whether or not Nick is contractually obligated to show up for Countdown stuff. Dana has already said that every fighter is contractually obligated to show up to press conferences for events that they'll be competing in. I've never heard Dana say they're contractually obligated to show up for Countdown tapings.
    Are you serious? At almost any other place of employment, you no show, you'll get fired. If you get bated for pot you might also get get fired, if you get busted for drugs, and you no show 3 times, and post how you don't care... You're definitely fuck fired.

What pisses people off is his unprofessional attitude. He acts like a child. It's completely absurd.

That being said I like to watch him fight, but he is next to impossible to like.

Quote Originally Posted by cpac77 View Post
    You guys calling for Diaz to be fired are retarded (no offense to the mentally challenged).

No-showing a press conference is one thing, that's much much worse than no-showing a UFC produced countdown TV show.

As far as press conferences go, the UFC is most likely obligated to the venue and/or the city/town hosting the event.

As far as the Countdown show is concerned, that's just UFC promo stuff. Nick's only pissing off UFC employees by no showing Countdown. By no-showing a press conference, he's pissing off local government officials, members of the press, etc (in addition to UFC staff).

I'd also wonder whether or not Nick is contractually obligated to show up for Countdown stuff. Dana has already said that every fighter is contractually obligated to show up to press conferences for events that they'll be competing in. I've never heard Dana say they're contractually obligated to show up for Countdown tapings.
    Man, I want to live in your world, where there's no consequences for not doing the parts of your job that you deem inconsequential; where pissing off your boss is not a big deal; in fact it's practically okay.

Out of curiousity, do you have gainful employment?

Hey guys, I no showed for work today, publicly complained about my job/pay, and got busted for drugs. It looks like I will have alot more time to post on here because I am now unemployed.

^ this is what happens in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Is it in Nick's job description though?
    I'm under the impression that it is. I don't really trust dana to talk about facts or details, but he stated the last time that promotional obligations are included in the contract.

It seems very clear Nick has anxiety issues and struggles in very public and social environments, true mma is not about the press.
    If Cesar was worth his salt, he'd have worked something else out with dana.

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    Yeah, why would Dana worry. He can ask almost any WW if they want a titleshot and they will jump on that shit.
    I'm betting Hendricks is on weight and ready on fight night.

He'd be an F'ing hero.

Quote Originally Posted by cjamis000 View Post
    i just hope they let diaz fight. GSP asked for this fight and he should be given it... and after GSP takes diaz down and hate fucks him for 5 rounds, dana can fire nick diaz in the cage on ppv. an example needs to be made
    I 100% disagree with this.

I'd rather see an example made of diva champions overlooking the #1 contender for a bigger-selling vanity fight. That's always going to be bullshit, in my opinion, and a far worse cancer in MMA than one fighter ducking the press.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    I can solve Dana's problem. Get the other previous countdown footage. Dive into the footage that wasn't used. Show that.
    Get Cesar to interpret some of the action, and/or the fighters who he's actually fighting in stock film. Make a reference to Nick's personality--he fights much better than he talks, etc. It would actually be more watchable than him mumbling and mean mugging his way through interviews.

I'm kind of surprised Cesar didn't suggest this from the start.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Riv, I agree with you diva champions point, but can Diaz still get fired on live TV?

Thread Information