Thread: James Te Huna 'can't remember' headkick knockdown, requests 'Top 10' opponent next

Default James Te Huna 'can't remember' headkick knockdown, requests 'Top 10' opponent next

UFC on FUEL TV 7: James Te Huna 'can't remember' headkick knockdown, requests 'Top 10' opponent next - MMAmania.com

"To be honest, I canít remember how I got my on my back," Te Huna admitted in his UFC on FUEL TV post-fight interview. "I asked my coach how I ended up on my back I thought it was a takedown and he said it wasnít a takedown. He threw a head kick at me and I ended up on my back so I was that close to being finished."

Genetics, skill and a whole lot of luck most likely went into surviving that kind of scare. It was pretty clear from the replay that Te Huna was -- for all intents and purposes -- was not all "there." Nonetheless, he made it out of the round and then roared back to win the final two, extending his win streak to four inside the Octagon.

"Just putting in a lot of hours and hard work in the gym," Te Huna said about overcaming the knockdown in the first round: "Iíve been in that position before and been hurt and come out and try to stay on top and stay dominant. Eventually he started wearing down a bit and gassing a bit and thatís when I took advantage."

Te Huna would go onto earn a unanimous decision, which means that he now has five wins in six attempts under the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) banner. His lone loss during that span was to top 205-pound division contender, Alexander Gustafsson at UFC 127 back in Feb. 2011.

And it's the kind of high-caliber fight he'd like to now revisit that he has a few more wins under his belt.

"I definitely want a Top 10 guy, no one in particular," he said. "I don't want to name [any names]. Whoever the UFC gives me, I'll be happy."

Would love to see Te Huna take on Shogun. Not sure if that's too much of a step up though.
    Legalize MMA in New York

Te Huna/Manuwa is a perfect fight to make IMO.

Neither has convinced me that they're top ten, but have fierce, heavy hands. Te Huna impressed me in the Jimmo fight, but his technique has alot of holes....

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    UFC on FUEL TV 7: James Te Huna 'can't remember' headkick knockdown, requests 'Top 10' opponent next - MMAmania.com"Just putting in a lot of hours and hard work in the gym," Te Huna said about overcaming the knockdown in the first round
    HUH??

Anyway, I fully expected a tko or ko win by either guy and was pulling for Jimmo but I have to say I was quite impressed by TeHuna for weathering that storm. Fun fight to watch.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Thread Information