Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White: Plan was Barnett vs. Dos Santos

Default White: Plan was Barnett vs. Dos Santos

White: Plan was Barnett vs. Dos Santos - Mixed Martial Arts News

According to UFC President Dana White, a match up between the two former heavyweight kingpins was in the works for Barnett's first UFC fight in over 10 years, but it all went out the window when "The Warmaster" decided he didn't want to commit to an exclusive UFC contract.

While some may conjure the story as Barnett was unwilling to sign with the UFC because a match up with "Cigano" doesn't appeal to him, White wants to quickly dismiss that notion.

"I'm sure Josh Barnett wouldn't care (who he fought)," White said in a media scrum (watch it here) following the UFC on FUEL TV 7 post-fight press conference in London. "Josh Barnett is a fly by the seat of his pants kind of guy, he does his own thing, beats to his own (expletive) drum. Josh Barnett's never been a guy to say I don't want to fight this guy or I won't fight that guy. He's not that type of person."

well shit.

not the best matchup for josh, but goddamn that would have been a good fight.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I'm just gonna assume it's because he's afraid of their drug testing. I can't see any other reason.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    I'm just gonna assume it's because he's afraid of their drug testing. I can't see any other reason.
    You really think Josh is still juicing? He doesn't exactly look like he's on anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fe1 View Post
    You really think Josh is still juicing? He doesn't exactly look like he's on anything.
    He never did and failed lol

Quote Originally Posted by Y2JUBAE View Post
    The UFC tests waaaaaay more than strikeforce did! Wait.....no. Ya I'm gonna assume it's as article says. He didn't want an exclusive contract.

we can't boil this down to the steroid thing. he was tested and passed in SF. he's always been very adamant about a non-exclusive contract so he could do pro wrestling and other ventures. i've heard more interviews with him than i can count, and believe the rhetoric on this one.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by Repenter View Post
    we can't boil this down to the steroid thing. he was tested and passed in SF. he's always been very adamant about a non-exclusive contract so he could do pro wrestling and other ventures. i've heard more interviews with him than i can count, and believe the rhetoric on this one.
    so was overeem.

Pro-wrestling = PED's as well as other banned substances (painkillers, etc.)

Y2JUBAE really isnt coming out of left field when he said its because of the drug testing, it very well could be that.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    so was overeem.

Pro-wrestling = PED's as well as other banned substances (painkillers, etc.)

Y2JUBAE really isnt coming out of left field when he said its because of the drug testing, it very well could be that.
    Josh does the pro wrestling in Japan, its not the same as it is here, not to mention the banned substance he was busted with last time was typically used to cut weight (that is if my memory serves me).

What 'something' did Josh Barnett want? - Mixed Martial Arts News

Barnett's manager Leland LaBarre recently appeared on The MMA Hour, and offered a statement on Barnett's behalf.

"I was excited to fight Junior. I thought he was a favorable match up for me, but Zuffa was unwilling to give me something that they gave Eddie Alvarez. No disrespect to Eddie, but I felt it was fair to give it to me as well. Although things seem to be working out well for me, I feel bad for the fans. They wanted me to fight certain guys in the UFC and I really wanted to give them those fights. Once we get the deal we are working on done, the fight the fans scream for will be lost forever."

The two key aspects of the statement are the indication that Barnett is nearing completion of a deal, presumably with another promotion, and the word "something."

What is the "something" that Eddie Alvarez was offered that Barnett was not.

The deal with Eddie Alvarez, so enticing that it has led to a court case with Bellator that appears to be in settlement negotiation, had several key points:
    •Eight fight deal;
    •Immediate title shot;
    •$250,000 signing bonus;
    •$75,000 to show and another $75, 000 to win, escalating $5,000 with each win, to a maximum of $210,000;
    •A cut of the PPV buys ($1 for the first 200,000 to 400,000 buys, $2 for the next 400,000 to 600,000 buys, and $2.50 for each buy over 600,000).
    • A fight on a FOX card, with the attendant exposure to millions of fans;
    •Three commentary opportunities.

Thread Information