+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC Done with Cris “Cyborg” Santos

Default UFC Done with Cris “Cyborg” Santos

UFC Done with Cris "Cyborg" Santos | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship has severed ties with Cris “Cyborg” Santos.

UFC president Dana White confirmed Santos’ release when talking with the media following the UFC on Fuel TV 7 pre-fight press conference on Wednesday.

Asked if Santos is done with the company, White responded, “Yeah.”

“I’m telling you right now, she wants nothing to do with this fight with Ronda (Rousey),” he immediately continued. “This is the biggest show in the world. We’re working with her to get her a deal or whatever. When you send a letter from your lawyer and your doctor saying I will die if I try to make 135 (pounds), it’s just the goofiest thing. I’ve never seen anything like it in the fight business.

“Okay, so you don’t want to make 135, but you want to talk about fighting Ronda. First of all, you tested positive for steroids and got stripped of your title. And you’re trying to talk about how Ronda doesn’t want to fight you, but she’s the champion at 135. If Ronda goes and does the fight at 140 and does the fight at 140, it’s not even for a title. The fight just makes no sense.”

The UFC tried to get Santos fights outside of the organization because there is no 145-pound women’s division in the UFC. They proposed getting her fights in Invicta FC, but Santos didn’t like the idea.

“So what happens is, so we’ll figure something out where Cyborg gets some fights. Ronda defends her title a few times. Then maybe Ronda moves up to whatever and fights… they want nothing to do with that, wants nothing to do with it. It’s wacky beyond wackiness,” stated White.

“There is no 145-pound women’s division. She’s under contract with us, so we’d get her some fights somewhere else. We get her some fights. Let’s play this 135-pound thing out and see what happens, see where this thing goes. No.”

Women’s fighting in the UFC centers around the 135-pound division, a division Santos can’t or is unwilling to make. So women fighting in the UFC moves on without Santos.

“This women’s thing is coming together. When I talk to Joe (Silva) and Sean Shelby, we have 10 of the best 135-pounders in the world. We’re gonna do this division. We’re going to see how this fight goes down or whatever,” said White.

“Cyborg is pretty much irrelevant right now. She really is. She’s irrelevant. Go out there and win some fights again, get your name back, stay clean, stay off some steroids and get your career back on track and then we’ll talk. But for her to think that everybody should move around and jump through hoops for her is insane.”
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

I don't get it. The two biggest stars in WMMA are at 135 lbs and 145 lbs.

Why didn't Dana just make a 140 lbs weight class so that it would encompass the largest amount of female fighters possible?
    ------------------

I don't think she wants nothing to do with Rousey, I think she would love a fight with Rousey just not at 135 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post

Why didn't Dana just make a 140 lbs weight class so that it would encompass the largest amount of female fighters possible?
    Because he only cares about Rousey. He has admitted that much basically. Think about it this way, if Ronda went to him and said that the cut was to tough for her, what do you think would happen. My money is on the weight class magically becoming 145.

5. 02-14-2013, 04:30 AM

Guessing most women fighters are 135lbs or less. Why make a division to appease a cheater?

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Guessing most women fighters are 135lbs or less. Why make a division to appease a cheater?
    Why make a division to appease any one person?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Why make a division to appease any one person?
    o.0 i'll dumb it down for you .... most ..... women ..... are......135lbs .....or .......less. If any womens division is going to make it it's 135lbs.

Can you please link a source that shows that there is a significant more amount of women that fight at 135 than 145 lbs?

I'm under the impression that both weight classes have a similar amount of competitors.
    lol most of Cyroids opponents moved up in weight lol really do I need to tell you this stuff or are you playing with me??

yeah...I don't think you'll have a shortage of women willing to fight at 145. Hell it would probably be a more popular division with female wrestlers. I think it would be a more exciting division. It's like the female HW division. Rhonda fought at the weight, didn't look chubby either. Personally I think Rhonda thanks her lucky stars Cyborg got popped, because if she didn't, then that fight would have happened and she would not be Dana's new sweatheart...err I mean sweetheart.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information