Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Henderson claims Anderson Silva 'manipulates the UFC'

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    wait...are you talking about 2013, or 2009?

do you really believe that Anderson could see into the future where Hendo would fail against Shields and that's why he didn't take the fight?

Or do you really believe--like our poor, misguided friend above--that all rematches are for chumps?
    rh
    After losing to Anderson, Hendo had lost two straight, and three of his last five. He wins a decision over Paul Harris, who is relatively a nobody at the time. He ekes out a split decision win over Rich Franklin in a completely different weight class (one judge had it 30-27 for Rich), then he KOs one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA. Not saying he didn't deserve a rematch, but that doesn't necessarily cry out for another title shot, at least not to the point of claiming Anderson is ducking him (Which he could be, but Dan needed to accomplish more at that time to make this claim). Certainly not comparable to Johny Hendricks recent run at WW. Hendo was 6-5 in his most recent fights and 0-2 in has last two title fights? Let's not get ahead of ourselves with distorted nostalgia.
    And rematches are an element that makes combat sports so great. Ali/Frazier, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Rivethead says things that I want to say, but he says them smarter.
    Damn. I'm sorry to hear (read) that.
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    After losing to Anderson, Hendo had lost two straight, and three of his last five. He wins a decision over Paul Harris, who is relatively a nobody at the time. He ekes out a split decision win over Rich Franklin in a completely different weight class (one judge had it 30-27 for Rich), then he KOs one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA. Not saying he didn't deserve a rematch, but that doesn't necessarily cry out for another title shot, at least not to the point of claiming Anderson is ducking him (Which he could be, but Dan needed to accomplish more at that time to make this claim). Certainly not comparable to Johny Hendricks recent run at WW. Hendo was 6-5 in his most recent fights and 0-2 in has last two title fights? Let's not get ahead of ourselves with distorted nostalgia.
    And rematches are an element that makes combat sports so great. Ali/Frazier, anyone?

Still puts me a few notches above you, sooooooo I'm cool with it...
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

That's spot on! I posted something pretty similar above. But you are making too much sense in your argument, which makes it pretty much invalid. That rematch never happening is all on Silva. Just like MMA not being licensed in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    That's spot on! I posted something pretty similar above. But you are making too much sense in your argument, which makes it pretty much invalid. That rematch never happening is all on Silva. Just like MMA not being licensed in NY.
    It only makes sense if you are comfortable with him discrediting several of Hendo's major wins. Scratch that, it still doesn't make sense.

It only makes sense if you are comfortable with him discrediting several of Hendo's major wins. Scratch that, it still doesn't make sense.
    This is what happens when you ask incapable minds for objectivity. Are you discrediting several of his major losses?
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

This is what happens when you ask incapable minds for objectivity. Are you discrediting several of his major losses?
    No, but after he lost to Anderson he went on a 3 fight winning streak including a win over the previous champ. Who was more deserving?

You mentioned his narrow win, and then you talked about Hendricks, but hasn't Hendricks had a few very close decisions during his streak? (not discrediting Hendricks)

Anderson does to an extent, and it's annoying. But he also manipulated Hendo's breathing with a RNC when Dan had his opportunity to do something about it.
    LOL
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

After losing to Anderson, Hendo had lost two straight, and three of his last five.
    Ah...fightfinder...the last sanctuary of the fan who wasn't paying attention at the time. Interesting that the two he won were...I dunno, fairly important...and that the loss to rampage was either razor-thin, or controversial, depending on how you view things. But I'll let you go on...

He wins a decision over Paul Harris, who is relatively a nobody at the time.
    the same Palhares who had just retired Salaverry? He was coming in with a HUGE push from the UFC at the time. Far from being a nobody, if he'd beaten Dan, he was one win away from a title shot.

He ekes out a split decision win over Rich Franklin in a completely different weight class (one judge had it 30-27 for Rich)...
    uhm...the completely different weight class was a favor to dana's homeboy Rich. Dan had asked repeatedly that it be held at MW, and was told no.

Which judge was that again? One of the greats, as I recall? Never made a bad decision, ever, right?

But that's OK, this is where the comedy comes in:
    then he KOs one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA.
    hmmm...you seem to have left off a fairly important phrase. I'll fix it for you:

Quote Originally Posted by reality
    then he KOs one of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA headlining a card billed as a title eliminator.
    Not saying he didn't deserve a rematch, but that doesn't necessarily cry out for another title shot,
    You know what cries out for a title match? When the president of the company makes a public statement like "win this fight convincingly, and you have a title rematch." Did Dan not win that convincingly enough?

[QUOTEat least not to the point of claiming Anderson is ducking him (Which he could be, but Dan needed to accomplish more at that time to make this claim). [/QUOTE]
    I have to disagree. If your boss said "do x, y, and z and you get a promotion" and than you go do it [KTFOing Z in the process] and then you didn't get the shot, would you think..."aw...I prob'ly shoulda accomplished more."

Certainly not comparable to Johny Hendricks recent run at WW.
    You're right. The two can't be compared.

Because Hendo started his runup to a rematch as the #3 MW in the world, whereas Hendricks has had to build up momentum from scratch.

If you're not a student of hisotry...rematches have always been easier to earn than initial title shots. Except when soares is involved.

For the record, how many wins did Randy have to score before he earned a rematch against Chuck again?

Hendo was 6-5 in his most recent fights and 0-2 in has last two title fights?
    interesting how you fightfinder pimps struggle to get your stats right...how was he 6 and 5 again? At the point soares whined Anderson's way out of a rematch, Hendo had only lost 6 or 7 fights in his entire career.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves with distorted nostalgia.
    Yeah, lets not, because you're distorting the shit out of it, son.

Again, so why wouldn't Anderson simply fight him?

well, if rampageOU812 is claiming followers, I'll take Don over that kid any day.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that by major wins you are not referring to Paul Harris... but... I don't think anyone is discrediting anybody's wins here.... I think him and I both made it pretty clear that those 3 wins don't really earn you a shot (specially not a rematch). They made a good case, but not at all did he get screwed by not getting it.

That was supposed to say 5-3. Epic typo, forgive me. You have far too much of a vested interest in this to bother reasoning with you. Neither one of these guys is my reason to wake up every morning.

Thread Information