Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nate Marquardt VS. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Default Nate Marquardt VS. Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158

Nate Marquardt steps in to meet Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158 in Montreal

Former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nate Marquardt (32-11-2 MMA, 10-4 UFC) will meet Jake Ellenberger (28-6 MMA, 7-2 UFC) at UFC 158, a source close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) on Monday evening.

Marquardt fills a spot left vacant by Johny Hendricks, who was tapped to meet onetime UFC title challenger Carlos Condit when Rory MacDonald was forced to withdraw from the event due to injury.

Marquardt vs. Ellenberger still serves on the March 16 event's pay-per-view main card, which follows prelims on FX and Facebook.

UFC 158 takes place at Montreal's Bell Centre.

Marquardt hopes to rebound after losing his Strikeforce welterweight belt in the promotion's final event, which took place this past month in Oklahoma City. Tarec Saffiedine battered the onetime UFC middleweight title challenger with leg kicks en route to a unanimous-decision win.

In his previous outing, Marquardt, a former UFC middleweight title challenger, captured the Strikeforce belt with a fourth-round KO of Tyron Woodley, who also volunteered to fight Ellenberger at UFC 158.

Marquardt returns to the octagon two years after failing to receive medical clearance to headline UFC on VERSUS 4 against Rick Story, which prompted the promotion to release him. Later, he revealed that a regimen of testosterone-replacement therapy caused his scratch from the event. He got a second chance with the Zuffa-owned Strikeforce and later returned to the UFC when the promotion was shut down.

Ellenberger returns to the cage following a decision over win Jay Hieron this past October at UFC on FX 5. Although far from flashy, the win nevertheless put him back on the right track after Martin Kampmann knocked him out at The Ultimate Fighter 15 Finale, which snapped a six-fight win streak that put him on the list of future contenders.

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.
    Nate Marquardt steps in to meet Jake Ellenberger at UFC 158 in Montreal | News

Sensory overload .......too early in the morning ..... mind adjusting.......
    And now I'm drooling over Condit/Hendricks! Fyuck yeah!!
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Kimbo> Rampage Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    Sensory overload .......too early in the morning ..... mind adjusting.......
    And now I'm drooling over Condit/Hendricks! Fyuck yeah!!
    Ya, these fights may just be even better.

I would rather see Hendricks/Ellenberger still on and just have Marquardt step in for Rory against Condit. Nate and Carlos both are coming off losses in title fights, while Hendricks and Ellenberger are coming off of wins and trying to earn a shot of their own. Match momentum with momentum!
    "I'll throw you in that armbar with a quickness/ either you're with me, or bitch you're on the shit list" - Action Bronson

5. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

6. Default

I'm assuming since Marquardt just lost the title, he's a more viable contender than Woodley?

Figure though with the KO already in the UFC fresh in peoples minds, they could of went with Woodley.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Quote Originally Posted by CapCee View Post
    I would rather see Hendricks/Ellenberger still on and just have Marquardt step in for Rory against Condit. Nate and Carlos both are coming off losses in title fights, while Hendricks and Ellenberger are coming off of wins and trying to earn a shot of their own. Match momentum with momentum!
    It fits in with my GSP/Silva/MSG conspiracy theory. Give Hendricks the tougher fight, they want Condit to beat him so there is no clear #1 contender at WW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Hendricks takes the much tougher road. Ellenberger is in title contention too and he gets a layup here.

Quote Originally Posted by v3xi View Post
    Hendricks takes the much tougher road. Ellenberger is in title contention too and he gets a layup here.
    Nate Marquardt is a layup?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    Nate Marquardt is a layup?
    Only if Kevin Garnett is standing in the way.

Thread Information