Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellenberger: Johny Hendricks Wanted Out so He Picked a Less Dangerous Fight

Default Ellenberger: Johny Hendricks Wanted Out so He Picked a Less Dangerous Fight

Jake Ellenberger: Johny Hendricks Wanted Out so He Picked a Less Dangerous Fight | Bleacher Report

Hendricks explained when speaking to Bleacher Report on Wednesday that Condit was the more enticing challenge because he was fresh off a title fight and had held the interim belt for nine months, while Ellenberger was "just another fight" to hold his position in the welterweight title race.

Needless to say, Jake Ellenberger was none too happy with that statement.

"I'm offended that Johny Hendricks called Dana to ask him to fight Condit. I'm going to choose my words carefully here, but I think that he wanted a less dangerous fight in my opinion," Ellenberger told Bleacher Report late on Wednesday evening. "We're going to fight because I know I can beat him, and I have him figured out. It offends me that he did that."

Ellenberger is well aware how the fight game works. Just like chess it's really about maneuvering pieces around the board and then striking at the exact right time. In this case, however, Ellenberger believes that Hendricks just had no desire to face him because he knew he was going to get beat.

"I know how the game works and I know how he's trying to position the way people are looking at the scenario. He didn't want to fight me and that's a fact," said Ellenberger. "So however he wants to word it, Carlos is a great fighter, one of the best in the division, I don't disagree there, but I would still say and he would probably say the same thing that it's a less dangerous fight. Is Carlos going to knock him out? I don't think so."

Johny Hendricks has charged through the welterweight division over the last year and a half picking up wins over notable names like Jon Fitch, Josh Koscheck and Martin Kampmann. Looking at Hendricks' record, Ellenberger takes nothing away from the opponents that Hendricks has faced but still believes he's skating by on thin ice.

"Johny's kind of had the perfect storm. He's put together a lot of wins over great fighters, he's won some really close fights as well that could have gone either way. I heard Joe Silva tell Mike Pierce he got screwed (when he fought Hendricks), I've heard things like that and things that I've seen. He's had the perfect storm and he's in position to fight for the title," said Ellenberger.

So by his words, he feels he is a better fighter than Condit. If he's heard and seen things he should go read that he's the only person around that feels Condit is a less dangerous opponent. To each their own i guess. War Marquardt
    LJS-NEMS

To be honest, I would rather see Hendricks vs Ellenberger than Hendricks vs Condit
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

he's just making noise about nothing. he probably resents that he's a veteran with a great record with zero public awareness among the casual fans.

and no, he is not a harder matchup for hendricks than condit. jesus man.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

Quote Originally Posted by FedortheCan View Post
    To be honest, I would rather see Hendricks vs Ellenberger than Hendricks vs Condit
    So would Hendricks lol

Hendricks has a better chance of taking Condit down if he needs too. I get where Ellenberger is coming from, and I don't think he is saying he is better than Condit. I think it more of a styles thing.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

I don't give this any credibility. But I have to admit I don't understand why their fight got changed when it didn't have to. I see no problem in throwing Marquardt to fight Condit, they both just lost in a title fight.

The only reason I see is that Condit/Rory was a big name fight for the co-main and I think Condit/Hendricks carries the same sort of relevance to the casual fans.

he is def saying it in a styles match up. HE has big ko power where condit, isnt a big ko striker. I still think condit mercs hendricks, and IMHO fuck ellenberger.

9. Default

Ellenberger has always come off as slightly cocky as a fighter.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Not surprised for a fighter to say something like this. Even though I think Hendricks is the #1 contender I still think Condit is the second best WW in the world and is far more dangerous than Ellenberger is.

Brown Pride

Thread Information