+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whose Grappling Credentials Are Overrated?

Hybrid View

Default Whose Grappling Credentials Are Overrated?

After GSP fought Hardy...I thought his BJJ blackbelt was gifted, Considering he had earned it 2 years prior 2 fighting Hardy..

Point of why I thought to make this thread is I was randomly reading about
    Bully Beatdown the other day and started looking at fighters who'd been on the show and I came across this Tony Bonello guy whom I heard of but never seen fight.

I looked into the guy a little and learned he was a third degree black belt in BJJ and his credentials were as followed.

Carlos Gracie’s 2008 American National Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Black Belt Championships Gold Medalist (Two times)- One gold medal in the Gi & 1 gold medal in the No-Gi division. Notable is that both gold medals were uncontested, as Tony was the only entrant in each division

Carlos Gracie’s 2008 No-Gi Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Senior Black Belt World Championships Silver Medalist
    Carlos Gracie’s 2009 No-Gi Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Senior Black Belt World Championships Silver Medalist- Notable is that there was only one other entrant each year in his division, and thus one match to determine gold and silver .

When I saw thees'e credentials I started laughing to myself .
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

I think a lot of people who get awarded no-gi black belt have suspect BJJ credentials. Now they may be very good grapplers, but awarding them black belts for their no gi game is questionable imo.

I can't remember all of the GSP fight, but you would think even a two stripe white belt would know to turn the thumb up when finishing an arm bar.

Edit: stripe

I never thought Hendrick's wrestling looked nearly as good as I would expect for a 2x national champ.
    If you're looking for BJJ black belts who haven't earned them, there's a ton of them out there.

4. Default

Easily Rashad Evans.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Easily Rashad Evans.
    Huh? Did you not watch how he controlled Phil Davis on the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    I assumed we were talking about JJ belts. Not wrestling credentials. Wrestling yes, BJJ no.
    Jj is more then submissions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoucheyWun View Post
    After GSP fought Hardy...I thought his BJJ blackbelt was gifted, Considering he had earned it 2 years prior 2 fighting Hardy..
    Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    Jj is more then submissions.
    This is what a lot of people keep failing to realize. BJJ is way more than submissions. One of the key things you learn in BJJ is position before submission. Many high level guys in BJJ win based on points, and points is given for advancing position.

GSP is one of the best at advancing positions. He passes guard so fluidly. The problem about going for submissions is that you're more at risk for losing position. This is what I noticed when GSP goes for submissions; he is constantly afraid to lose positions, so he doesn't fully commit to many submissions (the most obvious example is how he uses his hooks when going for the RNC). Against Hardy, he did make an error when going for the armbar but credit also to Dan Hardy for how he rotated his shoulder to change the position of the arm. I have no idea why GSP let go of the Kimura though. That was tight, and he would've snapped Hardy's arm if he kept applying pressure; only if he had the mentality of Frank Mir.

Quote Originally Posted by GexOffemsGeLA View Post
    These measures will help to promote healthy skin giving you a fresh, dewy natural glow, by the end of the two weeks.If you are getting married, this makeup is perfect for your d-day. benefit makeup These spots are quite common in adults with a long history of unprotected sun exposure.Then take a jumbo eyeliner and fill it in with black. MAC cosmetics canada Once you have found a few brands you trust, you may be a customer for life!I recommend the Mac users to use the Mac OS Extended format because it optimizes the storage capacity of large hard disks.
    Agreed. Couture getting his black belt by subbing James Toney was kind of weird. That would be like me getting a blue belt for arm barring school children.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information