Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Whose Grappling Credentials Are Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    As much as i hate to say it -Dan Henderson. Highly touted olympic level wrestling and he gets handled by Anderson, Rampage , Sheilds , and to an extent Shogun. You canmake the gassing weightcut excuses but your grappling needs to be good for all the rounds you commit to fight.
    Well the olympic credentials are from 92 and 96 so he is 17 years removed from that. The Anderson one is definitely from being rocked. I guess if you can't count gassing or weightcut issues then there is no excuse. I see what you are saying. Dan definitely loves to bang. I definitely think he uses his wrestling defensively. Obviously he is not an all around grappler. He doesn't go into a fight looking for a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    As much as i hate to say it -Dan Henderson. Highly touted olympic level wrestling and he gets handled by Anderson, Rampage , Sheilds , and to an extent Shogun. You canmake the gassing weightcut excuses but your grappling needs to be good for all the rounds you commit to fight.
    I agree, Hendo can't seem to defend a take down. I have Frank Shamrock as the most underrated check out his grappling match with Hendo to see why.
    “I just want to be known as the greatest ever…is that too much to ask?”

B.J Penn

https://www.facebook.com/roy.billington1
    https://twitter.com/RoyBillington

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    This is what a lot of people keep failing to realize. BJJ is way more than submissions. One of the key things you learn in BJJ is position before submission. Many high level guys in BJJ win based on points, and points is given for advancing position.

GSP is one of the best at advancing positions. He passes guard so fluidly. The problem about going for submissions is that you're more at risk for losing position. This is what I noticed when GSP goes for submissions; he is constantly afraid to lose positions, so he doesn't fully commit to many submissions (the most obvious example is how he uses his hooks when going for the RNC). Against Hardy, he did make an error when going for the armbar but credit also to Dan Hardy for how he rotated his shoulder to change the position of the arm. I have no idea why GSP let go of the Kimura though. That was tight, and he would've snapped Hardy's arm if he kept applying pressure; only if he had the mentality of Frank Mir.
    I think that while GSP doesn't have a particularly flashy or dynamic style of fighting when it hits the mat, he is two things; efficient, and methodical.

When GSP was in top position against Condit he very rarely looked for any major transitions, and instead slowly worked his way from guard, would pass to half-guard (keeping tight), and slowly move to side control and so on.

Favourite Fighters: A. Silva, Velasquez, Swanson, Bisping, W. Silva, Barnett, Faber, Dos Santos, Manuwa, McCall, Pickett & Poirier
    Least-Favourite Fighters: Story, Sylvia, Browne & Lentz

0-1 on sig bets.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Well the olympic credentials are from 92 and 96 so he is 17 years removed from that. The Anderson one is definitely from being rocked. I guess if you can't count gassing or weightcut issues then there is no excuse. I see what you are saying. Dan definitely loves to bang. I definitely think he uses his wrestling defensively. Obviously he is not an all around grappler. He doesn't go into a fight looking for a sub.
    You do? I think he has poor defensive wrestling, similar to John Fitch. He gets taken down in almost every fight, even against people who aren't wrestlers.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Just please....no I implore you to just do some research Mr. BJJ is more than subs.
    I do remember the out cry when he received his black belt, right before he fought Thiago Silva. But I don't think his grappling is overrated at all. Have you ever seen Rashad get out grappled?

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    You do? I think he has poor defensive wrestling, similar to John Fitch. He gets taken down in almost every fight, even against people who aren't wrestlers.
    Usually it is after he is gassed though. Plus he throws punches without worrying about being taken down, which can lead to him being taken down. His clinch game is solid. I still think he is usually taken down after becoming gassed from trying to finish someone, ala shogun or shields fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I think no one that has commented so far trained a day in their lives.
    Why do you think that? Several of us train. I know CT, Dan, and myself train BJJ. All of the guys mentioned in this thread would merc me, but I do train.

That's why I didn't comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick_Lunatic View Post
    I've always liked strudel.

Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    That's why I didn't comment.
    Get your ass to a class Kevo!

Thread Information