Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Whose Grappling Credentials Are Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Also, save those passive aggressive smart ass quips for the rookies. Ive earned a little respect here.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I think no one that has commented so far trained a day in their lives.
    bahah and you have? "mr. lentil soup and spinach for breakfast" lol
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

Quote Originally Posted by Luc1an View Post
    bahah and you have? "mr. lentil soup and spinach for breakfast" lol
    Haha nah Kid ain't trained a day in his life, have ya Art?
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Get your ass to a class Kevo!
    Too poor man. I'm a broke bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Quote Originally Posted by sonofsteven View Post
    As much as i hate to say it -Dan Henderson. Highly touted olympic level wrestling and he gets handled by Anderson, Rampage , Sheilds , and to an extent Shogun. You canmake the gassing weightcut excuses but your grappling needs to be good for all the rounds you commit to fight.
    Wait, what?

First of all, when exactly did rampage "handle" Henderson, particularly in the context of grappling? Perhaps you should watch that fight again...controversial judging aside, if you had to score that bout entirely on the grappling--ie, take away any striking, Henderson wins that fight hands down.

Second, you do realize that all of the other fighters you mentioned are black belts, correct?

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I think no one that has commented so far trained a day in their lives.
    Seriously whee the heck did this come from man?

I know Miz and FGP do anyway. Just from reading their post's past few years.
    I really believe that people like Bill Murray or John Belushi are just as great and just as valid as Robert De Niro or Al Pacino. And I don't think you can say One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) is a better movie than Animal House (1978); they're different genres. I think they're both examples of great craftsmanship.

-Sam Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by optimusjoel View Post
    I do remember the out cry when he received his black belt, right before he fought Thiago Silva. But I don't think his grappling is overrated at all. Have you ever seen Rashad get out grappled?
    Ya Rashad's grappling is some of the best in the division. He dominated Phil Davis on the ground, who out-grappled Lil Nog in their fight. People might not like the way he got his black belt, but his top control is outstanding.

Zombie is born!

Gsp is a legit black belt. His top game is very technical, just watch the gracie breakdown of his carlos condit fight. They go over how methodical gsp is on top. He trains with (or at least did train with) Roger gracie, so you can bet his bjj is tested regularly.

As for most overated in mma, the only thing that comes to mind is when Jorge gurgel (whose bjj is held in high regards) got tapped out by cole miller when miller was still a purple belt lol.. but anything can happen on any given night.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    I completely agree. You can be a black belt from many displines, but learning 70% BJJ and using 50% shouldn't earn you a black belt.
    I do see a new art were it is the combination of different styles. Example were a BJJ, wrestling, and a striking coaches all at elite level got together and issued a MMA belt. There are no one style fighters doing much good fighting in the UFC. A excellent blend of arts would be GSP to me. I would call him a true Black belt in rounded MMA.
    It has begun already...hopefully this posts properly.

http://www.mmanews.com/forums/genera...ng-system.html
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Thread Information