Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick without it

Hybrid View

Default Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick without it

Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it'

Dan Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it' - MMAmania.com

His words at a recent UFC 157 open workouts via MMA Weekly:

"Just doctors recommendations basically. Before I did anything I called the athletic commission to make sure it was okay. This was a long time ago. And they had no problem. I would welcome random drug testing for that and for everything. I think that would really help clean up this sport a lot and when people look at (the sport), there is no bad taste in anybody's mouth if the UFC really implements random drug testing."

Henderson, for one, says he wouldn't pass judgment on the younger fighters of today seeking for approval to get on TRT, saying each case is different but the UFC is well on its way to legitimizing the whole process of approval:

"I don't know everyone's situation, it's different. It could be a legitimate reason or it could not be. Obviously that makes it a little bit more fishy. But, I think the UFC maybe has to have everyone see their doctor to get approved to be on it. And go through their testing and make sure it's legitimate and monitor it a little bit better. It's not too tough to monitor."

In his case, the 42-year old mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran believes the therapy has helped him with his overall health, saying he wouldn't be as active if he wasn't on it and even if he weren't fighting anymore, he would still be on it:

"Yeah, I'd still be competing, but I'd probably be getting sick more and be lying on the couch more. But, in the same token, If I wasn't fighting, I'd still be having to take it."

Hats off for never trying to hide it. Imho TRT should be banned it's a can of worms that is hurting the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Hats off for never trying to hide it. Imho TRT should be banned it's a can of worms that is hurting the sport.
    Not as much as JUDGING, SHITTY REFEREEES and LACK OF INSTANT REPLAYS for bad referee judgment.. There should be two refs communicating with headset of some kind. One outside the ring and one on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Not as much as JUDGING, SHITTY REFEREEES and LACK OF INSTANT REPLAYS for bad referee judgment.. There should be two refs communicating with headset of some kind. One outside the ring and one on the inside.
    Yes it all hurts the "sport", is one more important then the other??

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    no its not.

but i do believe its a double edged sword.

Competitors who are over 30 will start to notice a drop in natural test. So if someone like Dan Henderson, Randy Couture or anyone in the UFC or who even competes in MMA at an older age would naturally need it if they want to compete. Its essential for muscle growth and recovery. An obvious advantage that a younger male 20-25 would have over someone who is 30-35.

HOWEVER!

Dan Henderson or any fighter over 30 can go see a urologist and say.....

"hey doc, i'm always tired, have no energy, my libido is down and i get no more morning wood. What do you suggest??"

Doc: "Well come in for some blood work on Friday so we can check your test levels.

Fighter: "OK Doc"

Then the night before the blood work, the fighter stays up all night, eats a shit load of food, sits on couch to play video games and gets drunk as FUCK. Then when they draw blood, his test will be that much lower and...

VIOLA!!!

Fighter is now prescribed for TRT.

I know a guy on it, it just allows him to function. With out it he was useless. I don't see a problem with it if its tightly controlled and they keep their levels normal through training as well as for the fight... I think now its an issue because of all the abuse.

You can't stop someone from taking a physician-prescribed medication. Could you imagine if the UFC banned the use of antibiotics? antidepressants? TRT is a pharmacological therapy just like any other medications. You can't legally ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas bushido View Post
    You can't stop someone from taking a physician-prescribed medication. Could you imagine if the UFC banned the use of antibiotics? antidepressants? TRT is a pharmacological therapy just like any other medications. You can't legally ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by vegas bushido View Post
    Can't stop them from taking them no but you certainly can decide whether they should be competing while taking them. Big difference between legally banning something and just not allowing it in a sport.

You do also know that steroids and painkillers are also physician prescribed for various reasons are you ok with people fighting while using them ? Before you say yes maybe consider it's not particularly hard for people with the motivation and money to do so to get prescriptions from doctors for both of the above fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Can't stop them from taking them no but you certainly can decide whether they should be competing while taking them. Big difference between legally banning something and just not allowing it in a sport.

You do also know that steroids and painkillers are also physician prescribed for various reasons are you ok with people fighting while using them ? Before you say yes maybe consider it's not particularly hard for people with the motivation and money to do so to get prescriptions from doctors for both of the above fairly easily.
    The problem with those things is ABUSE.

If it is given properly by a physician with proper guidelines for a medical condition then it is none of the fans' business.

If fighters are taking something to gain an advantage like Cyroid or Overoid, that is a different story.

If a fighter needs to take a steroidal inhaler or cream or maybe need painkillers for surgery... it really is nobody's business besides the doctor and the patient.

There is a difference between a treatment and abuse. Everyone is always so ready to paint the world as black and white.

Thread Information