Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it'

Dan Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it' - MMAmania.com

His words at a recent UFC 157 open workouts via MMA Weekly:

"Just doctors recommendations basically. Before I did anything I called the athletic commission to make sure it was okay. This was a long time ago. And they had no problem. I would welcome random drug testing for that and for everything. I think that would really help clean up this sport a lot and when people look at (the sport), there is no bad taste in anybody's mouth if the UFC really implements random drug testing."

Henderson, for one, says he wouldn't pass judgment on the younger fighters of today seeking for approval to get on TRT, saying each case is different but the UFC is well on its way to legitimizing the whole process of approval:

"I don't know everyone's situation, it's different. It could be a legitimate reason or it could not be. Obviously that makes it a little bit more fishy. But, I think the UFC maybe has to have everyone see their doctor to get approved to be on it. And go through their testing and make sure it's legitimate and monitor it a little bit better. It's not too tough to monitor."

In his case, the 42-year old mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran believes the therapy has helped him with his overall health, saying he wouldn't be as active if he wasn't on it and even if he weren't fighting anymore, he would still be on it:

"Yeah, I'd still be competing, but I'd probably be getting sick more and be lying on the couch more. But, in the same token, If I wasn't fighting, I'd still be having to take it."