Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick without it

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    19,328

    Default Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick without it

    Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it'

    Dan Henderson on TRT: 'I've been on it for six years, I'd be getting sick and laying on the couch more without it' - MMAmania.com

    His words at a recent UFC 157 open workouts via MMA Weekly:

    "Just doctors recommendations basically. Before I did anything I called the athletic commission to make sure it was okay. This was a long time ago. And they had no problem. I would welcome random drug testing for that and for everything. I think that would really help clean up this sport a lot and when people look at (the sport), there is no bad taste in anybody's mouth if the UFC really implements random drug testing."

    Henderson, for one, says he wouldn't pass judgment on the younger fighters of today seeking for approval to get on TRT, saying each case is different but the UFC is well on its way to legitimizing the whole process of approval:

    "I don't know everyone's situation, it's different. It could be a legitimate reason or it could not be. Obviously that makes it a little bit more fishy. But, I think the UFC maybe has to have everyone see their doctor to get approved to be on it. And go through their testing and make sure it's legitimate and monitor it a little bit better. It's not too tough to monitor."

    In his case, the 42-year old mixed martial arts (MMA) veteran believes the therapy has helped him with his overall health, saying he wouldn't be as active if he wasn't on it and even if he weren't fighting anymore, he would still be on it:

    "Yeah, I'd still be competing, but I'd probably be getting sick more and be lying on the couch more. But, in the same token, If I wasn't fighting, I'd still be having to take it."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Hats off for never trying to hide it. Imho TRT should be banned it's a can of worms that is hurting the sport.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    562

    Default

    I know a guy on it, it just allows him to function. With out it he was useless. I don't see a problem with it if its tightly controlled and they keep their levels normal through training as well as for the fight... I think now its an issue because of all the abuse.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Hats off for never trying to hide it. Imho TRT should be banned it's a can of worms that is hurting the sport.
    Not as much as JUDGING, SHITTY REFEREEES and LACK OF INSTANT REPLAYS for bad referee judgment.. There should be two refs communicating with headset of some kind. One outside the ring and one on the inside.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    University of Texas
    Posts
    406

    Default

    You can't stop someone from taking a physician-prescribed medication. Could you imagine if the UFC banned the use of antibiotics? antidepressants? TRT is a pharmacological therapy just like any other medications. You can't legally ban it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,362

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vegas bushido View Post
    You can't stop someone from taking a physician-prescribed medication. Could you imagine if the UFC banned the use of antibiotics? antidepressants? TRT is a pharmacological therapy just like any other medications. You can't legally ban it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Not as much as JUDGING, SHITTY REFEREEES and LACK OF INSTANT REPLAYS for bad referee judgment.. There should be two refs communicating with headset of some kind. One outside the ring and one on the inside.
    Yes it all hurts the "sport", is one more important then the other??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    with my parents of course
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Ya know what hurt the sport? Ignorance, that's the main thing that hurts MMA. If this treatment is tested and controlled throughout training camp, then what's the problem? there is no advantage whatsoever. It's not steroids and it doesn't turn guys into superman. Hell I believe alot of the "legal" supplements guys take is probably more effective at giving fighters unfair biological advantages than TRT. It should be scrutinized and regulated, but if it helps people live healthier lives and keeps good fighters in the sport performing at the top of their games longer, then I say it's a good thing. As long as it doesn't get abused by dishonest fighters. I think once guys see how hard it would be to abuse TRT, you will see a drop in applications....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

    "I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia
    Posts
    4,046

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    Ya know what hurt the sport? Ignorance, that's the main thing that hurts MMA. If this treatment is tested and controlled throughout training camp, then what's the problem? there is no advantage whatsoever. It's not steroids and it doesn't turn guys into superman. Hell I believe alot of the "legal" supplements guys take is probably more effective at giving fighters unfair biological advantages than TRT. It should be scrutinized and regulated, but if it helps people live healthier lives and keeps good fighters in the sport performing at the top of their games longer, then I say it's a good thing. As long as it doesn't get abused by dishonest fighters. I think once guys see how hard it would be to abuse TRT, you will see a drop in applications....
    Is it just me? I can never finish reading a post of yours.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    Is it just me? I can never finish reading a post of yours.
    Is what someone says when they want to argue, but know the other person is right.
    USA! USA! USA!

    Stealing is wrong!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •