Thread: Ben Saunders compares challenges of TUF, Bellator tournaments

Default Ben Saunders compares challenges of TUF, Bellator tournaments

Ben Saunders compares challenges of TUF, Bellator tournaments - Five Ounces of Pain : Five Ounces of Pain

Saunders recently spoke with Fightline in relation to his Season 8 semifinal scrap tonight at Bellator 90 against Raul Amaya where addressed the debate, pointing to each endeavor as being arduous but not in the same way.

“I would have to say they were both tougher in different areas. TUF was crazy living together, and above all not knowing who you would be fighting or when you would be fighting until 24-48 hours ahead of time. That made weight cutting (which I never did before but once) and gameplan preparations a real hardship. But I enjoyed my time on the show and saw it as a vacation and seminar experience, loving most of all of the time spent there, knowing it was such an amazing opportunity to be chosen. I felt very honored, and fortunate to be there, and hardly saw any negative even in the grueling times,” explained Saunders. “As for Bellator I feel it’s just a more professional approach in that we know who, when, and where we are fighting ahead of time. We get to prepare like professionals with our own teams. But I do feel it is harder as the level in competition surpasses that of my time on TUF.”

With Bellator ready to enter the world of reality television later this year, Saunders also added that he’s interested in seeing how his current employer’s product differs from TUF.

“I don’t know the format or how it is being shot or filmed. I believe they are trying a different more professional approach, trying to keep it about the fighting, training, and sport. As opposed to knuckle heads looking to get famous by, arguing, drinking, or fighting outside the cage,” said Saunders. “Drama sells, but so does the sport, so I am definitely interested to see what it is all about, once it airs.”

TUF is a guilty pleasure, but they have good fights. Bellator is more of where I'd like to see the sport go. It would be awesome for Bellator to having super fights with other organization's Champions vs their Champions. I think that would really piss Dana off, of course the Bellator champs could not afford to lose....But I don't see any org ever being that progressive, unless they are a Japanese org. They really put brand pride on the line.
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Meh, I don't care which company is at the top but competition within an industry creates innovation. When there is no competition, the industry suffers.

4. Default

They must not be able to find someone to interview that has won ethier tourney.

Sorry Ben but SMASH
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by joeodd2 View Post
    TUF is a guilty pleasure, but they have good fights. Bellator is more of where I'd like to see the sport go. It would be awesome for Bellator to having super fights with other organization's Champions vs their Champions. I think that would really piss Dana off, of course the Bellator champs could not afford to lose....But I don't see any org ever being that progressive, unless they are a Japanese org. They really put brand pride on the line.
    Agreed. These tournaments are really enjoyable to watch. I've found myself getting the old 'giddy' feeling back when watching these cards. Even though the fighters aren't as big named as the UFC guys. I am finding I prefer watching Bellator because the excitement factor is a bit more elevated for me there. The Super Fights idea would kick ass, but I wouldn't try anything like that till a few years down the road, if everything remains stable and smooth or the organization becomes firmly cemented in.

Thread Information