Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldo refuses Pettis fight

1. Default

I think some of this is Both Aldo camp and the UFC putting this out to cause some termoil to draw more media attention. Petis does need more fan reconision. The fans/us will draw attention to the two and if it looks good it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Pettis has never fought at the weight for which he was immediately granted a title shot for and there are worthy challengers at the weightclass who are getting passed over, which somewhat dilutes the division and roster "rankings" as these guys are constantly getting passed over. People are always bemoaning about Weidman and Hendricks being more deserving of title shots and getting passed over for flashier opponents and yet people are fine with these FWs keep getting passed over, I don't get it....

IMO, Lamas simply deserves it more(he's beaten TWO #1 Contenders and top contender Cub) and he's on a four fight win streak in comparison to Pettis' three wins(one in the Stephens fight that was pretty unimpressive). Likewise, while Cub has already lost to Aldo, he too is on an impressive 4 fight win streak IN THE DIVISION! These guys have put in the time and then a LW superstar decides to come down in weight and get the bump? Nah, not for me.

And this would be the third LW fighter to drop down and almost immediately get the title shot(Kenny had ONE FW bout vs. Nunes) and for me, I'm all good with this. Keep this in mind too, when Gil loses to Bendo(assuming that happens), he'll TOO probably get bumped to the front of the line of title contendership at 145. These guys with big names think FW is an easier route to a title, so they cut down, for me they should fight for it first. For example, at least Siver and Lentz have made the cut, proven they can win at FW and are making a case.

I'm with Aldo on this one.
    The UFC will continue putting on fights that they think their target fan base wants to see. The fights that will be the most lucrative.

Why do you keep forgetting that the UFC is in the business of making money 1st?
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Pasha, control that rage my friend.

Why are you upset with Dana that Aldo refuses to fight Pettis?

I am tired of hearing about champs complaining about their opponents. A real champ will take on who ever his promotion lines him up against and instead of complaining will dispose of the threat like a real champ.

Aldo is employed by a company who makes fights based on PPV buy rates or fan appeal over true sportsmanship or earned title shots.. That is the poison he chose.
    Whatever happened to everyone insisting that the Champion faces the #1 contender in his weightclass?
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

As much as I bitched about silva doing this with weidman and even jones with sonnen the first time, this is very different and im glad aldo did this.

There are guys who worked hard within the division to earn the shot i believe llamas was told he was the #1 contender and they just took it away.

This immedate title shot after switching divisions is very stupid, annoying and unprofessional. At least pettis isnt coming off a lose like sonnen diaz and edgar but still, Im very happy aldo did this.

Also the reason why this is different to me than silva was that weidman was seemingly the best MW contender in the division at the time and at the very least was next in line after the last few contenders. Not only did silva turn it down but turned it down to fight stephan Bonnar while requesting to fight nick diaz and vitor...cmon man.

Also with jones/sonnen the first time I do understand jones logic however it ruined a card, there were no other options for the fight unlike this one where their are definetly people within the weightclass willing and able to take a title shot.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

This is no different then GSP not wanting to fight Anderson Silva. Although I would much rather watch this fight then not, I think you should respect Aldo's wishes and have Pettis win atleast one fight at 145 to get a shot.

6. Default

Absolutely. I keep saying this Dana and the UFC are the bosses and they can pretty much cut whomever they want to. The UFC is pretty close to being a monopoly with no clear cut competition.

Fighters absolutely do not get to decide who they fight next unless the UFC allows them to. Aldo is fighting Pettis and Silva is fighting Weidman.

Shogun should be forced to fight that dude that beat Rampage and if he says No again hes out too.

Enough is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    The UFC will continue putting on fights that they think their target fan base wants to see. The fights that will be the most lucrative.

why do u 2 waste our time typing this bs on the forum. Please stop and go away and go play on UFC's board. You two are a waste of our time.

SMASH
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

I'd like to think that Aldo is drawing a line to say that LW guys who cut should at least get a fight AT 145 before getting a shot at the FW title, because with the constant string of LW dropdown challengers, at what point does the FW title just become the LW Intercontinental Title for guys who couldn't get it done at 155?

Keep in mind, Gray and Gil have also both made comments about dropping down, which would only muddle the waters further when you look at who is the most "bankable" contender. Clay has one fight under his belt(which I thought he lost) and made the move down for similar reasons, I'd LIKE to think Aldo is trying to make the FW title more than a consolation prize for guys who can't beat the 155 champ....

However, this is probably a postured move to get more money and a smart one because there's bank to be made against Pettis. If, per chance this leads to Aldo getting Lamas instead, it is also a much easier fight than Pettis, which would also be the more cerebral and calculating move.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post

The NFL managed to pull in 9.5 Billion in 2012 by having its teams earn a title shot. I doubt they would make as much if at the end of the season they decided to disregard the regular season and playoffs and just give the title shot to whoever they thought would create the best match up.

I know combat sports are vastly different from team sports however, it is still a sport. Championships should be contested by the most deserving fighters in each division, not the most marketable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sport...sports-2012-10
    My Favorite Fighters

1)Gray Maynard 2)Dan Henderson 3)Minotauro Nogueira 4)Wanderlei Silva 5)Roy Nelson 6)Tim Boetsch 7)Mark Hunt 8)Shogun Rua 9)Lyoto Machida 10) Connor McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    why do u 2 waste our time typing this bs on the forum. Please stop and go away and go play on UFC's board. You two are a waste of our time.

SMASH
    ????

I remember a rumor going around a few months back that GSP did not want to fight Silva, but would do so for more money... So why do you think what I said is out of line?

What do you think is a more probable reason for him to turn down the fight? Respect for the game? Respect for the other fighters at 145? He is afraid of Pettis?

Please enlighten me so I can go back to playing on UFC boards as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Cat--Smasher View Post
    Pasha, control that rage my friend.

Why are you upset with Dana that Aldo refuses to fight Pettis?
    I'm not upset about any of this nonsense anymore, but I am surprised that it came from Aldo. I hadn't pictured him as that type of individual.

I do think dana didn't do anything to nip this kind of thing in the bud with Anderson and then with Georges. It's getting worse, not better, but hey, that's the way the wind is blowing.

I do think it's amusing that he's choosing to out Aldo in such and immediate, public fashion...if there's a bus, he'll toss anyone under it who isn't getting him a new Ferrari. I'm sure he's a great business man, but it doesn't seem like a solid model to devalue one of your best fighters--I have Aldo as #3 p4p, and just behind Georges and Anderson in terms of dominance in his division--but I'm sure there is a reason for it.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information