+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Henderson: I won that fight

1. Default

What I expected just wasn't sure how the judges would veiw it. Machida will challedge Jones more than Hendo would IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpslappd View Post
    I'm glad that wasn't a 5 round fight. I am starting to dislike Machida's "elusive" style. If it was anyone else it would be called running.
    Not everyone else uses Karate which is a defensive martial art and I don't know too many fighters capable of pulling off knockouts by running.

Anyone that would accuse Machida of running likely has no fucking idea what they are looking at just like they have no understanding of Capoeria.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Not everyone else uses Karate which is a defensive martial art and I don't know too many fighters capable of pulling off knockouts by running.

Anyone that would accuse Machida of running likely has no fucking idea what they are looking at just like they have no understanding of Capoeria.
    I am not a fan of machida's in and out point fighting style. When he backs away from an exchange or side steps an aggressor it looks as if he is running. I understand this is his style and he is not running per say its just not a style I enjoy watching.

Machida is capable of a highlight reel KO no doubt but we are far more likely to see what we did last night and that's a decision victory from him and not a knock out.
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    I had it scored as a draw, exactly the way I thought it would go, down to Machida getting the nod.

I thought Dan did more than rampage did, where jackson got the gift decision...

rh
    Yup, totally agree.
    The fair decision was a draw. I dunno why anyone is complaining how the fight turned out. What do you expect in a Machida fight when he faces someone with KO power?

Rampage landed almost nothing but came forward while Machida was being "elusive", and was gifted the first 2 rounds. Dan came forward but was at least landing strikes. He was making Machida backpedal, not be "elusive".

I dont think the loss hurts Dan that much. He wasn't badly beaten or KO'd. Fight was a split, I can see him getting a shot with a few wins.

Machida won it. He won round 1 and 2, 3rd was for Hendo.

Machida should not be that surprised because of the split decision, the second round was actually very very close. And he did not win the 3rd round. Hendo layed on him for about 2 minutes, landed some (kinda weak) ground and pound, then in the stand up Machida was better but anyone knows that the ground and takedowns have a much bigger impact than the stand up for the judges.

Kinda boring fight, but it is Machida's style and it worked good for him. Hendo has that vicious right hand, he has a granite chin, so Machida used the correct strategy to stay away from Hendo, and just attack him in order to score points.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

He would have won but he just couldn't compete with Machida's 3rd degree black belt in back peddling.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    that is fine as long as you respect his style works.

I thought he won the fight.

there is a lot of fans that want every fight to turn into a bar room brawl and that is not MMA.

His style works.
    Agreed it works great for him just not a style I am a fan of
    Fav Fighters: Penn, Wand, Fedor, Genki, Shields, Rashad, Pulver, Diaz bros, Melendez.

machida fought a perfect game plan against hendo. kept his distance, avoided clinching, used in-and-out movement, and using the brilliant, cheap-as-shit trip in the last ten seconds to win the round.

he had that fight planned down to the minute, and did what he had to do to win. i didn't enjoy it, and i certainly didn't enjoy seeing my favorite fighter lose, but machida did what he had to to win. i can't hold that against him .

and, within the ten-point must system, that was a textbook split decision. as uneventful and frustrating as it was, we can learn a lot about judging fights from something like this.
    Survival is Triumph Enough
    -Harry Crews

I didn't like the fight. Machida should have been much more active. He did exactly what he was supposed to do in terms of keeping away from Dan, but he should have done much more.

That said, Dan brought NOTHING to the fight either. Dan basically spent the entire fight going for the now infamous Bisping Set-up. The same thing over and over again. It didn't work 30 times Dan, go for something else (EDIT: And in all fairness to Dan, he had a big lay off and came from an injury)

Machida should have picked up on this and started picking Dan apart, but he almost never threw a counter shot as Henderson was just throwing the sloppiest shots we've seen. Dan looked slow (and he wasn't even tired yet) and Machida did nothing to utilize his speed because he was worried about that big shot. There was no reason why Machida had to give Dan's striking that much respect. Respect his power...respect his experience...of course...but still.

I don't think either fighter brought it last night. Machida clearly won, but it was very lackluster.
    Last edited by Ramma; 02-24-2013 at 10:07 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information