Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Dan Henderson: I won that fight

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    georgia
    Posts
    562

    Default

    According to those numbers, even if only half of dans landed strikes were significant, and every single one of machida's were... He only had 1 more significant strike, where as Dan then had 20some odd insignificant strikes left over... Shouldn't those count for something? Assuming those numbers were the totals of course.

    Either way the fight sucked. I had it as a draw. I actually like both fighters, it was a huge disappointment.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    Default

    MMA and the UFC specifically needs the judges to start adopting some type of penalties for 'stalling'. In wrestling, its normal for a guy to use defensive tactics to avoid takedowns and such but if the tactics proliferate and the primary behavior/tactic he gets penalized for stalling. I can appreciate good defensive stand-up techniques, but if the referee has no way to penalize a fighter for stalling then we get the stand-up equivalent of Lay-n-Pray that we all complain about so much.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    i had it as a draw, no body really deserved a W, everyone says Machida landed the the most sig hits but considering that those sig hits didn't actually faze the man with the granite chin shouldn't the judging favor Henderson's higher output? I would think so. I don't think Machida has anything for Jones i really wanted to see Henderson take a crack at it. Hopefully dana and co don't count this as a complete lose and if Henderson KOs his next opponent they can put him back into the top spot, or Chael wins.
    Did anyone else find it annoying that Machida wanted nothing to do on his back but hold onto Henderson, I originally thought putting Machida on his back was the best thing for Henderson to try.
    Anyway Machida doesn't deserve his morning piss i hope winner of the Sweden card steals the #1contender slot.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beardown98 View Post
    I am not a fan of machida's in and out point fighting style. When he backs away from an exchange or side steps an aggressor it looks as if he is running. I understand this is his style and he is not running per say its just not a style I enjoy watching.

    Machida is capable of a highlight reel KO no doubt but we are far more likely to see what we did last night and that's a decision victory from him and not a knock out.
    The point I am making is that he has highlight reel knocks outs over Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans, Randy Couture and most recently Ryan Bader. You don't get knockouts like that by back peddling.

    Had Machida gotten KTFO for banging with Henderson we would be talking about why Machida didn't use his normal style which clearly works. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you liking guys like Manhoef, Leben, and Wandy.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmawolverine View Post
    i had it as a draw, no body really deserved a W, everyone says Machida landed the the most sig hits but considering that those sig hits didn't actually faze the man with the granite chin shouldn't the judging favor Henderson's higher output? I would think so. I don't think Machida has anything for Jones i really wanted to see Henderson take a crack at it. Hopefully dana and co don't count this as a complete lose and if Henderson KOs his next opponent they can put him back into the top spot, or Chael wins.
    Did anyone else find it annoying that Machida wanted nothing to do on his back but hold onto Henderson, I originally thought putting Machida on his back was the best thing for Henderson to try.
    Anyway Machida doesn't deserve his morning piss i hope winner of the Sweden card steals the #1contender slot.
    Was that the first time Machida was put on his back via takedown? Shogun did it with a KO, but I believe Dan was the first guy in the UFC to take Machida down and hold him there for some time. Couture, Ortiz, Evans never came close.

    Kudos to Dan for doing the impossible. He can still surprise us at 42. I hope he gets a great fight next and another after and be a contender again.

    Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    The point I am making is that he has highlight reel knocks outs over Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans, Randy Couture and most recently Ryan Bader. You don't get knockouts like that by back peddling.

    Had Machida gotten KTFO for banging with Henderson we would be talking about why Machida didn't use his normal style which clearly works. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you liking guys like Manhoef, Leben, and Wandy.
    I agree to an extent. You dont put somebody out cold running away. But those KO came due to the opponents playing right into Machida's style.

    Thiago Silva came in close with his guard down and paid for it with a surprise KO in the closing seconds of the round.

    Evans thought he could strike with Machida and his cockiness got him KO'd.

    Couture and Bader just kept coming forward to no avail. Couture cant strike. He needs the clinch for dirty boxing. Machida picked up on his movement and the moment Couture came in range, kick to the face. Bader was just an idiot thinking he can rush forward at Machida with a punch LOL.
    Last edited by MMA4EVERRR; 02-24-2013 at 11:12 PM.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Was that the first time Machida was put on his back via takedown? Shogun did it with a KO, but I believe Dan was the first guy in the UFC to take Machida down and hold him there for some time. Couture, Ortiz, Evans never came close.

    Kudos to Dan for doing the impossible. He can still surprise us at 42. I hope he gets a great fight next and another after and be a contender again.
    I think Jon Jones took Machida down after he staggered him with a standing elbow. And if you believe Machida, he claimed that Dan capitalized on a slip and didn't actually take him down.


    Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    I agree to an extent. You dont put somebody out cold running away. But those KO came due to the opponents playing right into Machida's style.

    Thiago Silva came in close with his guard down and paid for it with a surprise KO in the closing seconds of the round.

    Evans thought he could strike with Machida and his cockiness got him KO'd.

    Couture and Bader just kept coming forward to no avail. Couture cant strike. He needs the clinch for dirty boxing. Machida picked up on his movement and the moment Couture came in range, kick to the face. Bader was just an idiot thinking he can rush forward at Machida with a punch LOL.
    Thiago Silva was knocked out with ground and pound after Machida tripped him in the dying seconds of the round.

    All in all it was a tough fight for both guys. Machida did his thing and none of us should be surprised by that. It might not be the most crowd pleasing style but I enjoyed it for the chess match that it was. I'm a Machida fan so that doesn't hurt either.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    I think Jon Jones took Machida down after he staggered him with a standing elbow. And if you believe Machida, he claimed that Dan capitalized on a slip and didn't actually take him down.




    Thiago Silva was knocked out with ground and pound after Machida tripped him in the dying seconds of the round.

    All in all it was a tough fight for both guys. Machida did his thing and none of us should be surprised by that. It might not be the most crowd pleasing style but I enjoyed it for the chess match that it was. I'm a Machida fan so that doesn't hurt either.
    Ah, but what caused the slip? Dan aggressively coming forward prob threw Machida off balance, and Dan got the takedown. Still, he took Machida down using wrestling, and not with a strike, which is the point I was trying to make.

    And yea, I believe I'm one of the few who enjoyed the match. I knew what to expect given both guys' style. The chess game is fun to watch if you appreciate all aspects of MMA, and not the brawling side of it.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MMA4EVERRR View Post
    Ah, but what caused the slip? Dan aggressively coming forward prob threw Machida off balance, and Dan got the takedown. Still, he took Machida down using wrestling, and not with a strike, which is the point I was trying to make.

    And yea, I believe I'm one of the few who enjoyed the match. I knew what to expect given both guys' style. The chess game is fun to watch if you appreciate all aspects of MMA, and not the brawling side of it.
    Agreed. Dan gets credit for the takedown regardless of Machida's footing. I'd still say Jon Jones gets credited with a takedown on Machida before Dan. Whether he's the first, that's to the best of my memory. He might have set up the takedown with a strike but the double leg tequnique he used was all wrestling.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    2,317

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by travtera View Post
    I think Jon Jones took Machida down after he staggered him with a standing elbow. And if you believe Machida, he claimed that Dan capitalized on a slip and didn't actually take him down.




    Thiago Silva was knocked out with ground and pound after Machida tripped him in the dying seconds of the round.

    All in all it was a tough fight for both guys. Machida did his thing and none of us should be surprised by that. It might not be the most crowd pleasing style but I enjoyed it for the chess match that it was. I'm a Machida fan so that doesn't hurt either.
    The chess match was good until they both revealed all their moves. Then when neither one was having any real success Hendo backed off, then the exchanges became even less frequent.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    16,371

    Default

    Rewatched it. Saw it as 29-28. Hendo winning the 3rd.

    In reality, no fighter truly won. Poor showing for both of them. They respected each other too much and were too cautious.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •