+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dan Henderson: I won that fight

I think Lyoto is getting too much flack for doing exactly what he needed to do to win the fight. Granted he didn't hurt Henderson, but if just one of those kicks to the body folded Hendo and Lyoto finished the fight in the 3rd round with 10 seconds left, it would be a different story. I thought Lyoto fought the fight that he should have and neutralized most of Hendo's offense. I would not see the Jones fight with Hendo going any deferentially. Now if Machida can do this against Jones.....well He did dominate with his style in the first round of their first fight...now lets see if he can stretch that for 5 rounds.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Fight was whatever but I liked it. Regardless if Hendo would have won with that horrible performance, he'd be an easy win for Jones. Its like he forgot how to throw a punch with his left.

Hendo needs to get himself a good boxing coach at least if he wants to keep knocking ppl out

I enjoyed the fight. I grew up around karate and taught it for a few years so it's easy for me to appreciate Machida's style more than most. That being said, I was a bit surprised that Machida did not step up his attack as the fight continued. Usually he trie to get a sense of spacing, timing, etc...and then escalates his attack gradually. Against Dan it just seemed a continual 3 round feeling out process. That was a little disappointing but enjoyed the fight for the most part.

I thought Machida won 29-28 but not too surprised to see giving Dan rd 2. Since Machida does not have the most palatable style it can be expected that close rounds can be more easily lost.

I am more disappointed in Hendo than I am in Machida.

I enjoyed the fight, but it didn't live up to my expectations.

Don't understand how a guy can press the action, out strike the other fighter by a margin of 54-28, score the same amount of takedowns and lose.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

This article states that Lyoto is the the number 1 contender but Dana isn't sure that it will be Lyoto getting the next shot at Jones.

Fortunes changed for five at UFC 157 - MMA Fighting

LYOTO MACHIDA - Machida, who came into Saturday's fight with Henderson as the No. 2 contender, beat No. 1, and White pointed out those numbers to say Machida would get the next title shot at the winner of the April 27 bout with Jones vs. Sonnen.

But he hardly sounded thrilled saying it. When it was later suggested, given Machida's performance, if Gustafsson picks up an impressive win on April 6 in Stockholm, Sweden over Gegard Mousasi, could it be Gustafsson getting the shot, White didn't really give an answer. But he certainly made it clear he hadn't closed his mind to that possibility.

Machida already lost via second-round guillotine to Jones on Dec. 10, 2011, in Toronto. The show did weaker numbers than most Jones fights. Jones made it clear Machida is a guy he would prefer not to fight, noting he's the most difficult opponent to have a good fight with, and to prepare for, and he can't make the same level of money with him.

Machida did look impressive on FOX with a win over Ryan Bader. He was criticized for turning down a short-notice shot at Jones in September. He probably shouldn't have been, given the magnitude to his career a second loss to Jones would have had, and he'd be foolish to try and fight someone as talented as Jones when he wasn't in his best condition.

But the reality is, while Machida has a chance to befuddle and frustrate anyone, including Jones, and win a close decision, it's hardly the match-up, nor the kind of match, that the public wants to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    This article states that Lyoto is the the number 1 contender but Dana isn't sure that it will be Lyoto getting the next shot at Jones.
    What does it mean to be the #1 contender then? lol confusing distinction
    LJS-NEMS

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    Hendricks knows.

I kinda messed up that sentence. You're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    Don't understand how a guy can press the action, out strike the other fighter by a margin of 54-28, score the same amount of takedowns and lose.
    Well, I know you're being rhetorical, but obviously it depends on which round those strikes and takedowns occurred. I'm surprised at how many people gave Dan the third round, I'll have to watch it again...I'd given him the first round, Lyoto the second, and had the third as 10/10.

But I think the concept of significant strikes is an odd one...is the criteria the same across the board? Does it have to land with some degree of pounds per square inch that the judges can judge from their crappy seats? Even if they the perspective and/or ability make an accurate judgment [pause for laughter] is the criteria for significance the same for fighter to fighter regardless of their ability to take a punch? So a strike that doesn't even faze someone with Henderson's chin, but would wobble someone without it is given the same point-weight that it would against someone like, say Bisping?

I'm not busting on Machida, I've always liked his elusiveness, and I figured this would be where he reverted even more to his old form--I felt he probably felt that he lost the rampage fight [inappropriately, I'd add] because he gave jackson too many opportunities to engage, and he'd get on his bike for this fight. It literally went exactly the way I thought it would.

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    I think anyone who has been following dana's nonsense for the last 5 years knows not to take his word as any type of bond. He'll say anything at all...if his v-logs were 2 hours long, he'd be contradicting himself by the end of them.

rh
    Last edited by rivethead; 02-25-2013 at 08:59 PM.
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

They are trying too hard to make sure every card is a financial winner.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information