Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tito Ortiz has a (risky) plan for Cris Cyborg

Default Tito Ortiz has a (risky) plan for Cris Cyborg

Tito Ortiz has a (risky) plan for Cris Cyborg - Mixed Martial Arts News

"I made so many mistakes with my career," Ortiz told MMAjunkie.com backstage at UFC 157. "I'm not going to make the same mistakes with my clients."

By clients he means Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos, the former Strikeforce women's 145-pound champion who Ortiz represents as part of his foray into the world of fighter management. And by mistakes, he means signing a contract where there's "no future," which is what he claimed the UFC offered his fighter recently. So he turned it down. He opted to sign her to a three-fight deal in Invicta FC instead.

"The reason I thought it was a better idea is because it's called management," Ortiz declared.

"Our deal right now is to fight the No. 2 contender at 145 pounds (Ediane Gomes), who she's fighting, and then she'll fight for the [Invicta] world title," he said. "She wins the world title, and after she wins the title, she'll defend it once. After she defends it once, let's get New Year's Eve, Ronda Rousey vs. Cris 'Cyborg' at 140 pounds. Champ vs. champ. Let's forget about the title. Throw away the title. Let's get one of the biggest pay-per-views in the history of mixed martial arts and history of women's MMA."

See? It's simple. What could go wrong, except about a half-dozen different things.

It's genius if it works. If, by the end of 2013, Cyborg's chewed up three straight opponents in Invicta all while Rousey has dispatched one challenger after another in the UFC, he may well find himself in an excellent negotiating position.

When your financial future hinges on a plan that has zero room for unexpected developments, you're betting an awful lot on an unwavering belief that you know exactly what the future holds. Again, you look brilliant if you turn out to be right. If not, you look like something else entirely.

Dana White Doesn’t Care About Tito Ortiz and ‘Cyborg’ Santos’ Plans
    Dana White Doesn’t Care About Tito Ortiz and ‘Cyborg’ Santos’ Plans | 5thRound.com
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

lord he sounds like hulk hogan. unrealistic.
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

The plan is what I said it was.

The UFC can keep building challengers for RR, while Cyborg can fight and the majority of fans won't know anything about her career. And at the end of the day the UFC still holds all the power.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

A fight in the future between Cyborg will gross more than a fight at present. It is only intelligent to get the maximal payment you can for your career defining fight. Can't fault Cyborg for moving to Invicta but you can fault her for her silly excuses (that she would die) for not taking the fight....

I dont see any brilliance in this plan even if events start unfolding as Tito is describing. While cyborg is rusting out in Invicta the UFC will be making new female stars to challenge for the 135 title. If the UFC ever bothers to entertain cyborg fighting in the octagon it wont be until they decide to have a 145 women's division. Dana is not going to do the 140lb catchweight fight unless he's desperate. Cyborg will have no drawing power left by the end of the year. She might as well get comfy in Invicta cause theres nowhere else she is desired.

Tito would be really kicking himself if Gomes picks up the upset. I on the other hand will be laughing like a mad man.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Whatever Tito Ortiz is selling, I aint buying...

The biggest 'IF' of this great plan is that the UFC will have any type of interest in co-promoting. I just don't see this happening.

The UFC will build the 135 division and make sure they have good & marketed fighters to challenge for the title.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluck33 View Post
    Whatever Tito Ortiz is selling, I aint buying...

Thread Information