Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benson Henderson wants to fight Georges St-Pierre after Melendez

Default Benson Henderson wants to fight Georges St-Pierre after Melendez

Benson Henderson wants to fight Georges St-Pierre after Melendez - MMA Fighting

Henderson intends to request a blockbuster match-up against UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre following his upcoming title defense against Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez on April 20, 2013 at UFC on FOX 7. UFC Tonight first reported the news.

"My main focus is on defending my title against Gilbert Melendez on April 20," Henderson told MMAFighting.com in a statement. "That's it. But I am a fan of the sport on top of being a competitor. I see all this talk about super fights and other fighters getting to dictate what weight classes they want to move up and down to in order to get title shots. I'm the UFC's lightweight champion and I feel I should be allowed to make such statements myself.

"I want to fight in the biggest fights and against the best fighters," he continued. "Georges St. Pierre is one of the greatest fighters in our sport's history. Of course I'd love to fight him, and I think the fans would want to see that fight too. It would be an honor to go up against such a great competitor, especially with a title on the line.

"However, I need to beat Gilbert Melendez first before I can actually start thinking about any other fights, no matter who the opponent is. It's going to be a tough battle and I need to stay 100-percent focused on him during my training for the next two months."

UFC president Dana White quickly shot down Henderson's plans on UFC Tonight.

"That's not going to happen. He won just that title not too long ago. There are plenty of guys in the 155 division to defend that title against, and a possible fight with Aldo if he moves up to 155... I don't blame Ben Henderson for wanting to go to 170 that's the big money fight," White said.

*Wow, GSP would school Bendo.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

This definitely deserves to be used twice tonight.

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Dammit Ben, I was really starting to like you! Even though you schooled Cerrone in the re-match... Anyway this is garbage. There is Pettis (likely) after Melendez, who knows what will happen with Miller, Maynard. Stick to the LW division, be above this crap Ben please!!!
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

This weight change title shot bullshit has to stop

Rousey VS Cain make it happen.
    Big Hairy American Winning Machine

7. Default

GSP would make Bendo look worse than Bendo made Nate Diaz look. Or worse than Rory made Nate Diaz look. Or worse than Joe Stevenson made Nate Diaz look.

Or worse than Josh Thomson will make Nate Diaz look.

tl;dr - Nate Diaz has looked like shit a lot in the past.
    ------------------

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Rousey VS Cain make it happen.
    What do you have against cains arms?

Quote Originally Posted by cnlclink View Post
    Dammit Ben, I was really starting to like you! Even though you schooled Cerrone in the re-match... Anyway this is garbage. There is Pettis (likely) after Melendez, who knows what will happen with Miller, Maynard. Stick to the LW division, be above this crap Ben please!!!
    He isn't really even asking for the fight.. he was asked a question and pretty much said fighting great fighters like gsp would be a dream, BUT he has to beat melendez.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information