Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UFC 156 Alistair Overeem Testosterone Levels Below Normal

Hybrid View

Default UFC 156 Alistair Overeem Testosterone Levels Below Normal

Results have come back from drug tests administered to UFC 156 fighters, and they indicate that heavyweight Alistair Overeem's testosterone levels were below normal.

The event at the start of the month was Overeem's first since he began his nine-month drug suspension and it was marked by an embarrassing KO at the hands of Antonio Silva in the third round.

But those speculating how a drug-free Overeem would fair already saw the consequences of the low testosterone during the weigh-ins for the fight. One blogger on MMA Freak described him as a much "softer" Overeem to the one that defeated Brock Lesnar more than two years before.

According to MMA Junkie, Overeem not only passed the UFC 156 drug test, but his testosterone levels were in fact well below the lower range for the average male.

"[Overeem's] testosterone total level actually fell below the normal range of 250-1,100ng/dL," said MMA Junkie. "Overeem's total testosterone came in at 179 from the test, which was administered the morning after the fight at 8:25am on Feb. 3."

The low value could explain this "softer" Overeem.

The Dutch fighter, who has spent most of his career fighting untested in Japan at light heavyweight, shocked everyone as he ballooned to a heavyweight behemoth with next to no fat. Speculations of suspected steroid use only grew louder after he missed a drug test in the run-up to his first UFC fight against Brock Lesnar.

The failed test in his next fight confirmed all the suspicions.

But now, following his first loss in over five years, his testosterone levels seem to have fallen far below normal.

The question now is whether this is a sign of his years of steroid abuse, or overtraining in the run up to UFC 156. His languid, almost disinterested performance on the night, hardly suggests it was the latter.

One bit of "good" news Overeem could draw from this, however, is that he could now have a legitimate claim for a therapeutic use exception for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT), allowing him to use steroids legally. But whether a fighter who has been found to be a drugs cheat should be allowed to use TRT is sure to spark fierce debate.
    Alistair Overeem UFC 156 Testosterone Levels Below Normal | Bleacher Report

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

If you abuse it eventually your body adjusts by not making/making less on its own. This is most likely what happened. I'd like to see how a roided Overeem would fare against bigfoot.

Brown Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Lesnar_FTW View Post
    If you abuse it eventually your body adjusts by not making/making less on its own. This is most likely what happened. I'd like to see how a roided Overeem would fare against bigfoot.
    I'd like to see how an average Overeem would fair against Bigfoot. I hope he can get his testosterone levels balanced out before his fight with Dos Santos, otherwise it's going to be a rough night for him.

I don't see anything wrong with Overeem's performance before he got caught; he was landing lots of good shots and looked really strong on the ground and in the clinch. He just has a weak chin and was too lax on his defense.

Zombie is born!

he looked slow and winded and was taking down Big Foot via velocity not actual technique really. On the ground he was doing much either and in the second round when he just rested his head on Big Foot's sternum he was taking VERY deep breaths.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    he looked slow and winded and was taking down Big Foot via velocity not actual technique really. On the ground he was doing much either and in the second round when he just rested his head on Big Foot's sternum he was taking VERY deep breaths.
    To be fair though how many 265lbs-ish HW's DON'T gas by the second round? Brock probably had the best cardio of any HW that size, he just wasn't actually very good at the "fighting" part of mma :-)

Great, now due to years of abuse, AO will get to elivate his T levels legally through TRT.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

all the crank in the world and it cant fix his glass chin.

H.
    Welcome to Sunnyvale.
    No, wait..Fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    all the crank in the world and it cant fix his glass chin.

H.
    In his defence, he hasn't exactly been knocked out by novice strikers.

Thread Information