Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunnar Nelson Meets Mike Pyle At May's UFC 160 In Las Vegas

1. Default Gunnar Nelson Meets Mike Pyle At May's UFC 160 In Las Vegas

Gunnar Nelson meets Mike Pyle at May's UFC 160 in Las Vegas | News

A welterweight matchup between Icelandic prospect Gunnar Nelson (11-0-1 MMA, 2-0 UFC) and longtime veteran Mike Pyle (24-8-1 MMA, 7-3 UFC) is the latest addition to May's UFC 160 event.

MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps) today learned of the booking from sources close to the fighters. UFC executives have yet to formally announce the contest.

Both competitors have verbally agreed to the matchup, and bout agreements are expected to be finalized soon.

UFC 160 takes place May 25 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook. The placement of the Nelson vs. Pyle matchup has yet to be revealed.

Nelson returns to work quickly following a unanimous-decision win over Jorge Santiago earlier this month. It was the 24-year-old's 11th-straight win after opening his professional career with a draw. A Renzo Gracie black belt, the stoic Nelson is considered by many pundits to be one of the sport's brightest prospects.

Meanwhile, Pyle looks to build on the strength of an impressive three-fight win streak that includes first-round finishes of James Head, Josh Neer, Ricardo Funch. Currently in one of the best stretches of his professional career, Pyle is 6-1 in past seven fights with the lone loss coming to top contender Rory MacDonald.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Possibly a slight step up in competition from Rivera. I guess Pyle is more of a dangerous striker, but I feel like Rivera is better on the ground...Gunnar by RNC rd 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Who are you talking about? lol
    Jorge Rivera...the guy that Gunnar just fought lol

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Jorge Rivera...the guy that Gunnar just fought lol
    you're mixing rivera with santiago . anyway, after how pyle's looked recently i really wouldn't be surprised if he finishes nelson by sub or tko.

I see Pyle taking this. Goon-Ar seems way too relaxed in there it works for some guys but Pyle has been VERY ready-set-go of late and will take it to Nelson in both striking and the ground game. And, I'll be honest, even though everyone touts Nelson as a great grappler (and beating a very tired Monson at ADCC way outside of his weight class), I think American grappling dudes like Pyle are better.

Gunnar had better learn some striking defense for this fight. He got clipped a lot with Santiago.
    FW-Hominick, Weichel
    LW-Stout, Cerrone, Jim Miller
    WW-GSP, Fitch, Goulet, Rory
    MW-Shlemenko
    LHW-Jones
    HW-Carwin, Barry, Russow

RRR=the Rhonda Rousey Resistance

classic - "this is the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. thats like me having a picture of Hitler posted, and saying "I dont believe in his politics, but I like to hear him talk" W.Silva>C.Norris

Pyle takes it in another comeback finish, Gunnar will take control early with his grappling then Pyle sneaks in a KO

Pyle finishes him.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

9. Default

I think Pyle finishes him as well.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Thread Information