+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patrick Cote says UFC 158 is 'the biggest fight of my life'

Default Patrick Cote says UFC 158 is 'the biggest fight of my life'

Patrick Cote says UFC 158 is 'the biggest fight of my life' | News

"It's probably the biggest fight of my life, of my career," Cote said. "The UFC made a pretty clear message with all the cuts they made a month ago. They said they have to cut more fighters in the future, so the message is pretty clear that when you step into the octagon, you have to deliver it and give a good show. It's nothing different for me. I have to go there, and I have to perform."

Cote has certainly found himself in this position before. He's fought sporadically for the company since 2004, but he's endured several returns to the regional level along the way. He earned his way back to the UFC this past summer but was promptly handed a decision loss by Cung Le. In an effort to reverse his octagon fortunes, Cote decided to drop from middleweight to 170 pounds.

"With all the knowledge of nutrition and cutting weight, those guys at 185 are pretty big dudes now," Cote said. "They walk around at 225, 230 pounds. Guys like Yushin Okami, Chael Sonnen, even Alessio Sakara, they're pretty big guys.

"A couple of years ago, I was an average middleweight, but now I was a small one."

In his first assignment at 170 pounds, Cote draws Strikeforce import Bobby Voelker (24-8 MMA, 0-0 UFC), a 33-year-old fighter making his UFC debut. Cote boasts big-show experience over his lesser-known foe, but he's certainly not taking anything for granted.

"The thing is, that's going to be my biggest mistake if I approach this fight by thinking like that," Cote told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "This guy is a gamer. He's going to come in his first fight in the UFC, and he has everything to win.

"He's very aggressive. He's going forward. He's able to punch, and he always comes back in his fights, even if he was in big trouble. He's always able to come back and win the fight. He had a good left hook, and he's pretty decent on his feet, too. But like I said, he's going to come very hungry. This is his chance, and that's why I trained very, very hard."

Also 33 years old, this could very well be Cote's last chance in the UFC. His fan-friendly style makes him a crowd-pleaser, and his role as a French-language commentator makes him extended part of the Zuffa family. Still, as the controversial release of Jon Fitch stands testament, wins are at an all-time premium.

For that reason alone, Cote believes Saturday's fight is the most important of his career. There is no future, only now.

"This is going to put me on the map at 170," Cote said. "It's my first fight at 170. You have to take one fight at a time. Bobby Voelker is going to be the first one."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Cote is basically famous for one good round during a Rocky-esque fight at UFC 50. I think Voelker relentlessly outworks him to a finish or late stoppage unless Cote comes in looking really fast at WW(which I can't remember the last time I would refer to Cote as fast) or if Voelker forgets how to fight and lets Cote punch him square in the mouth.

I think Cote's well and done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Cote is basically famous for one good round during a Rocky-esque fight at UFC 50. I think Voelker relentlessly outworks him to a finish or late stoppage unless Cote comes in looking really fast at WW(which I can't remember the last time I would refer to Cote as fast) or if Voelker forgets how to fight and lets Cote punch him square in the mouth.

I think Cote's well and done.
    False. He's most famous for blowing his ACL during the Anderson Silva fight. Plus, his fights previous to that where he's known for putting on brawler-esque fights.
    "Anger causes many things, baldness, impotence, waking up in the middle of the night with your hands covered in blood and you don’t know what happened. Hey, I’ve been around.” - Bas Rutten (GTA 4)

I think he has a lot of potential to renew his career at WW. I'm pulling for him.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

I would say the Anderson Silva fight was the biggest of Cote's career. He took advantage of it by dancing away until his knee spontaneously combusted. He showed some good moves though, so it wasn't a total loss.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    I would say the Anderson Silva fight was the biggest of Cote's career. He took advantage of it by dancing away until his knee spontaneously combusted. He showed some good moves though, so it wasn't a total loss.
    Funny I remember Anderson doing the dancing, was the fight when I started to dislike him.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information