Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex 'Bruce Leroy' Caceres planning early retirement

Default Alex 'Bruce Leroy' Caceres planning early retirement

UFC on FUEL TV 8's Alex 'Bruce Leroy' Caceres planning early retirement | News

"I want to retire at 30," Caceres (8-5 MMA, 3-3 UFC) told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps). "My goal, ultimately, is to be better tomorrow than I am today. It's a growing experience as a person. I don't want to define myself as just a fighter. I don't think that we should.

"This is not it for me. If anything, this is a small stepping stone that will elevate me to my true purpose and goals in life. Fighting is just one small aspect of my life, and I choose not to define myself just with fighting."

It's an intriguing philosophical approach from the former wild child who has matured significantly during his six-fight stint in the UFC. But Caceres insists it's one he believes to the core of his being and will adhere to when the time comes.

"Most people say, 'Oh, you'll see when you're 30,'" Caceres said. "No, I know when I'm 30 I don't want to do this anymore. Fighting is for the young. Even though at 30 I'm fairly young and in my prime, while I'm in my prime there's so many other things I want to do in life. I want to go and chase those dreams, as well.

"I don't want to be all beaten up by the time I'm 35 and still trying to get one more fight. That's just not me."

It's interesting to note that Caceres' stance has been developed during the midst of a two-fight octagon win streak. Were these the words of a fighter certain for a release from the promotion, it might be understandable, but Caceres' consecutive wins are the first such back-to-back results of his UFC career.

Caceres said there's a simple explanation.

"I personally do not like fighting," Caceres said. "I like martial arts, and I love training every day. I like to teach people, and I love to learn. Fighting is just a way to show what I'm doing is correct, just and righteous, and it works so that when I teach it to people I won't be giving them bad water."

Caceres fights this weekend at UFC on FUEL TV 8, which takes place Sunday at Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan, and airs in the U.S. on Saturday night due to the time change. He meets promotional newcomer Kyung Ho Kang (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on the night's Facebook-streamed preliminary card, which precedes the evening's FUEL TV-televised main card.

A victory would give Caceres a three-fight win streak and solidify his standing as a legitimate prospect at 135 pounds with a 4-1 mark in the division. But truth be told, Caceres isn't all that interested in such talk. In his mind, there are much more important things to consider.

"It's not about winning," Caceres said. "It's the performance. That's what I've always held dear. As long as I'm getting better in every fight, that's the only goal I'm looking at. I'm not looking at goals far in the future.

"I'm living for the walk down the street, not what's around the corner. As long as I'm trying to get better, that's the only thing I can hope for. As long as I can grow every day as a person, then I've won."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

At 30? I predict he'll have been brutally KOd many times before 30, leading to a much earlier retirement than anticipated.

Yea, I don't like this guy one bit.
    "I don't want them to like me, because when I'm in the ring, punches fly to the face. It is not a tenderness time. I am not falling in love. And he knows that when the fight starts I kick faces."
    "I think you should be able to kick in the head, it’s a fun thing to do."

Good idea. Most guys who start young are pretty much spent by their early 30s, and unless you are already one big money makers by then, you probably never will be.

Hes still young, another 6 yars in the sport could do WONDERS. Not like I see him getting a title or anything soon, but you can never tell what the MMA scene is going to be like in 6 years from now.

Forrest has been in the UFC for what 8 years? He started 9-2, then went 10-5 in the UFC, has held a belt at one of the most competitive divisions, and has beat a good handfull of top talent.

My point is ALOT can happen is 6 years. Hs just saying he doesnt want to ONLY be know for fighting.

God hates me, never keep my banger on safety
    My mother raised me alone, you can't break me
    Like my hearts pumpin the blood of Royce Gracie!

13-4-1 in sig/av

And he will be broke 6 months after he retires.

Do us all a favor and retire today...

What's with all the hate? I think he's pretty entertaining and it's good that he doesn't want to end up being beat up after he retires.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    What's with all the hate? I think he's pretty entertaining and it's good that he doesn't want to end up being beat up after he retires.
    seriously.. I really like Leroy and what he is saying is pretty intelligent as well.. if your interest is not to train to be the best in the world but to just train and prove to yourself that you can do it... why not move on to something else at that point in your life.. your body starts to fail you and your brain starts to become way more functional??

It seems really smart to make money while your body can handle it and recover and move on to something else when you body might not...

I don't like him or root for him but his last few fights in the UFC have been entertaining. Hopefully if he wins this win he gets a much deserved televised fight.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    I am insinuating that he is not bright based on what I saw on the reality show.

Thread Information