Thread: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi to be 5 rounder, plus Gustafsson opens as the favorite

1. Default Gustafsson vs. Mousasi to be 5 rounder, plus Gustafsson opens as the favorite

UFC on Fuel TV 9: Gustafsson vs. Mousasi to be 5 rounder - Bloody Elbow

Rest easy MMA fans, the Light Heavyweight top contenders bout between Alexander Gustafsson and Gegard Mousasi that headlines UFC on Fuel TV 9 will be a full 5 round bout rather than a mere 3 rounder. The event takes place in Stockholm, Sweden on April 6. The news was broken by Kimura.Se who got the news from George Sallfeldt, chairman of the Swedish MMA Federation.

Here's a Google translation of Sallfeldt's statement:

Being able to arrange a match in the title length at home is obviously a big deal for SMMAF. However, it is important to remember that this decision does not mean that the overall match time for MMA matches increases. Even in the future, 3-rounds matches will be the norm for professional fights.
    The SMMAF had to get the approval of the Martial Arts Delegation of the County Board of Orebro to secure the extra two rounds for the Gustafsson vs. Mousasi bout. It is the norm for bouts headlining UFC cards to be 5 rounds.
    UFC on Fuel 9: Alexander Gustafsson opens as favorite over Gegard Mousasi - Bloody Elbow

When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

Thats great news.. I wish lyoto vs hendo was a 5 round, good to see this will be one. Those are some good odds to bet on mousasi. I think will be a tough fight, but I got mousasi pulling out the win.

Quote Originally Posted by initial_zen View Post
    Thats great news.. I wish lyoto vs hendo was a 5 round, good to see this will be one. Those are some good odds to bet on mousasi. I think will be a tough fight, but I got mousasi pulling out the win.
    Those are some good odds for Gegard. Might throw down some money on this. Brain says Gus, but the gut says Mousassi. Fight really could go either way, IMO.

I really, really don't like this matchup. There were better opponents to build Gus up with while Jones takes on illegitimate fights.

#4 vs. #11 doesn't make much sense.

Lil Nog, Hendo, Evans or Bader would have made more sense.
    Last edited by Sniggles; 03-02-2013 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    I really, really don't like this matchup. There were better opponents to build Gus up with while Jones takes on illegitimate fights.

#4 vs. #11 doesn't make much sense.

Lil Nog, Hendo, Evans or Bader would have made more sense.
    Little Nog just fought and won a close fight with Evans who Jones has already beat. Hendo (my favorite) lost to Machida and possibly broke his hand. Bader got trashed by Jones. How would those fights have made more sense?

Gus and Gegard are both young contenders.

I have Gegard in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    Little Nog just fought and won a close fight with Evans who Jones has already beat. Hendo (my favorite) lost to Machida and possibly broke his hand. Bader got trashed by Jones. How would those fights have made more sense?

Gus and Gegard are both young contenders.
    Due to where they are situated in the ranking, but I forgot this was the UFC we were talking about.

Why don't I like it?

Same reason I didn't want to see Cain and JDS fight immediately and preferred the time the UFC spent building them up with people equal to their ranking.

Gus' name value would increase much more if were he to fight another of Shogun's calibur, rather than Mousasi who does not have a large following of casuals.

Thread Information