Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanderlei Silva: I Know Sooner or Later Im Gonna Need to Stop

Default Wanderlei Silva: I Know Sooner or Later Im Gonna Need to Stop

Wanderlei Silva on Retirement: 'I Know Sooner or Later I'm Gonna Need to Stop" | MMAWeekly.com

Brian Stann is a tough opponent. He has a strong punch, said Silva at the post-fight press conference. I hit him and he hit me, and I felt out a little bit in that moment, but this is the kind of fight I like to do. Hes a strong guy, a warrior; he came to fight, no going away, no run around. Hes there to do the job.

Doing the job fulfills Silva. He may have earned his moniker of the Axe Murder with the way he fights, but the man could hardly be anything further from that outside of the cage.

Silva is an athlete that fights very much for his fans. Its what sustains his youthful energy for the fight game. Its what keeps him going, and what may keep him going beyond the time when he really should like the NFL quarterback chasing one more Super Bowl call it a day.

Silva has been in many wars over the years, his health taking a beating at times.

The day is coming, but the day is not today.

I fight one fight at a time right now, Silva stated. I feel healthy, but I know sooner or later Im gonna need to stop the job, but Im happy for getting this feeling, this energy from my fans, make the show for my fans, make my fans happy.

Saturdays fight with Stann was the realization of one of Silvas dreams, a dream that takes him one step closer to retirement.

Im so glad the UFC gave me the opportunity for me to fight one last time in Brazil and fighting here, he said, but left the door open for more. If UFC gives me the opportunity to come back here, Im happy to fight in Japan again.

I have the best moments of my life here and today is one more.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

A lot of talk about Wanderlei retiring. Wondering if people on this board thinks he should?

I have no problem with him retiring, he clearly has nothing else to prove. As a fan I would actually like to see him retire on such a high note. But as a selfish fan I would want about 3 more fights. I certainly don't think he needs to retire though, Michael Bisping is currently ranked 3rd in the MW division and I think that Wandy could take him out again, I also think he could take Philippou and give Rockhold a run for his money. Honestly I don't know how he would do against a guy like Okami this late in his career but I would not mind watching that fight either.

Wanderlei puts on exciting brawls out of choice, not because he is not technically sound. Both his Muay Thai and his BJJ are very crisp.

Wandy...you just had a KO win in Japan. That's probably the highest note you can go out on at this point in your career. I really wish he would just retire. I can't bare to see him flat out on the mat one more time

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Wandy...you just had a KO win in Japan. That's probably the highest note you can go out on at this point in your career. I really wish he would just retire. I can't bare to see him flat out on the mat one more time
    I agree with this. He's the only fighter who puts me on the brink of a heart attack when I watch him fight these days lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramma View Post
    Wandy's chin sure showed all the keyboard warriors out there.

6. Default

Wandi at this point of his career is more of a vanity fighter. He did great against Stann, but that was almost a scripted fight. That is Stann's fight plan helped showcase Wandi's style. Which is what the UFC should do for him and the fans. A diffrent style fighter Wandi may not of looked so good. He's proved himself repeatably in the past, and any fight now is like gravey for us to watch.

He's going to be a prime candidate for CTE if he doesn't hang it up soon. I love watching him fight but it's not worth seeing him lose his marbles in 10-20 years.

I LOVE watching Wanderlei fight and I especially LOVE watching him WIN!
    I HATE watching Wanderlei fight, because he has taken far, far, FAR too many blows to the head.

Balancing that dichotomy is quite difficult and perhaps, selfish on my part, as I have a horrible feeling in my stomach when I watch Wand fight. But I honestly think he's got a little left in him, that is, IF the fighters is matched up against agrees to stand and brawl. I'm not too sure how many fighters would be willing to do that with Wand.

If he fights again, I want a five rounder vs. Forrest Griffin. That'a a winnable fight for Wand and I think retiring with a walk off against the TUF Golden Boy would be awesome...I also think there's ALOT of money to be made on a FOX card to put on Hendo/Wandy III.....

Other names that I think would be solid matchups for Wand at a CW or LHW include, Manhoef or Vera....

Again, it comes down to balancing being a selfish Wand lover against his personal health, which is a mounting concern...

As a fan you can only appreciate his art.

As a fan you have no right to tell him what he should do, just like he has no right to do the same to you.

Thread Information