Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winner of Struve vs Hunt calls for a top-5 opponent next

1. Default Winner of Struve vs Hunt calls for a top-5 opponent next

Mark Hunt wants top-five foe after knocking out Stefan Struve - MMA Fighting

Mark Hunt isn't playing around.

The New Zealand native made the biggest impression of his UFC career Saturday night, both literally and figuratively, when he knocked out 7-foot-tall Stefan Struve with a brutal two-punch combo in the third round of their co-main event bout at UFC on Fuel 8.

The victory at Japan's Saitama Super Arena was Hunt's fourth in a row. After spending a year on the sidelines -- Hunt vs. Struve was initially slated for UFC 146 -- the 38-year old Hunt doesn't want to wait around much longer.

"I'd like to fight as soon as possible," Hunt said at the post-fight press conference. "Top five or whatever, man."
    The Hunt-Struve fight's finish was a bit strange, as it appeared referee Herb Dean wanted the bout to continue after Hunt dropped Struve. After the fight, Struve tweeted "I wanted Herb to take the tooth out of my cheek and continue but then it turned out my jaw was broken."

Hunt gave his version of events at the press conference.

"[Dean] told me to keep going, so I went in to try and finish it," he said. "I don't know, whatever, I was kind of banged up, you know?"
    Either way, Hunt was happy just to be able to get back into the Octagon and figure out an opponent who had over a foot of height on him.

"Look man. after a year without fighting, it was hard to get somewhere even close to Stefan," Hunt said. "It's hard to gauge someone especially with a year off, and timing, and everything was off. ... Timing and a few other things, it went right."
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

Big Struve fan but good for Hunt. Give him a big shot but I don't think he hangs in he top five.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

It was his first fight after a year off. He was starting to get in pretty damn good shape when he was first suppost to fight Struve, then he fucked his knee up and had to have surgery. That's big, that's months of not doing anything but sitting on your ass. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going from this fight and put in a great camp for his next one and be ready for whoever.

You know those guys at AKA are gonna have him drilling his TDD a shitload. That will be the plan for 90% of the people he fights.

Yea he trains at ATT. It probably the best camp to go to if you want to learn the ground game.
    "If a man with no arms and a man with no legs started learning karate, the same light bulb would appear over every head in Japan. That’s right: Glue them together and see if it can kill a panda."

I was literally screaming at Mark to get the fuck up from the ground. I'm sorry I doubted you Mr. Hunt. What a great TKO/KO victory.

And damn, he actually broke Struve's jaw? You just don't mess with the Super-Samoan!

I really like Hunt and Struve but I was happy Hunt won since this is obviously his last big run for a title. There's really not any top 5 guys for him to fight right now, but there's a good chance one of Cain/Bigfoot/JDS/Overeem/Werdum/Nog/Cormier/Mir will be hurt and need a replacement. I would like to see Hunt in any of those fights and I would think he earns a title shot with a win over any of those guys (except for Cain obviously).

I want to see Hunt-Nelson next. If anyone objects to that, then they're crazy. Those guys are both huge punchers with iron chins. It'd be an amazing slugfest.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    I want to see Hunt-Nelson next. If anyone objects to that, then they're crazy. Those guys are both huge punchers with iron chins. It'd be an amazing slugfest.
    Damn right.

rob_bills Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    I disagree, Roy's a smart dude.. I see him looking for a TD and a sub.

Thread Information