Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rashad Evans Confident Chael Sonnen Can Become Champion

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I know you dislike Sonnen, but he is a elite fighter.
    At MW he is good. He will have nothing to do against somebody like Jones though.

His only chance would be if Jones is not training seriously, but if Jones is training as hard or even harder as for his past fights, it will be a walk in the park for him.
    Chael has nothing for Jones. He is not a good striker, he has not submissions at all, he is not as explosive or athletic as Jones. He just has his wrestling, but I doubt he will be able to lay on Jones for 4 rounds like he did with Anderson in the first fight. And even if he takes Jones down, he will get sub'd.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    Now if what Rashad said leading up his fight with Jones is true (about not being able to get up off his back) then Chael has a very good chance of winning this fight.
    Are you referring to the shit that Evans claimed took place 1 time in practice 3 years prior to when he told the story in 2011? That's the story you are referring too right? The story that supposedly took place nearly 5 years ago?

Are you sure that you don't wan't to change you outlook on this fight from "very good" to "highly implausible"?
    Last edited by CtGreat; 03-07-2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Bas Rutten explained via facebook a couple of days ago how there are plenty of guys that are great in training but absolutely suck during a real fight. And there are others that get tapped left and right in training but at the moment of the fight they shine.

What happened in practice does not mean a shit and is not guarantee of anything. "fighting" in practice and "fighting" in a real event are 2 whole different worlds.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Sonnen's wrestling is obviously his best asset, but Jones is so good at using his length to land strikes from the outside that I think that Sonnen will struggle to close the distance. And it's not like Jones is a mug in the clinch himself either.

The one unknown for me is how willing Jones will be to use his kicks against an elite takedown guy like Sonnen. He uses leg and body kicks a lot (especially that oblique kick to the knee) but I wonder if he'll be leery of using them and risking getting taken down.

Still, I think Bones takes this.

Fuck Rashad. He was also confident Vitor would beat Jones. Hell he was confident he could beat Jones. Both Rashad and Chael Sonnen suck at calling fights.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Rashad of present holds no candle to Jones of present.

Rashad has no idea how good Jones is (aside from the whopping he got) anymore, so his word on Jones is entirely irrelevant.

Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones will be a matchup akin to Bonnar vs. Silva in the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Rashad of present holds no candle to Jones of present.

Rashad has no idea how good Jones is (aside from the whopping he got) anymore, so his word on Jones is entirely irrelevant.

Chael Sonnen vs. Jon Jones will be a matchup akin to Bonnar vs. Silva in the history books.
    Rashad's horrible predictions on Jon Jones match ups are a reflection of his state of denial. Evans refuses to believe that Jones really is a legend in the making; a status that Evans will never reach as a fighter. He want's everyone to beat Jones just to show that he is beatable.

In simpler terms

Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Sonnen is not an elite fighter...unless you are one to use the word elite very loosely.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Rashad is right about TUF, at least. Chael is infinitely more of a coach and a team leader than Jones will ever be; he's not comfortable in that role in variety of ways (motivation, cohesion, cornering, etc). Although it could be an age and experience issue but I doubt it. Just the wrong read on the guy.

As far as the fight, I just feel that Chael's inability to finish on the top is the problem and the fight is 5 rounds. If he was a Demian Maia-esque grappler then it would be a different story.

Thread Information