Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anderson Silva vs Chris Weidman CONFIRMED for UFC 162 Main Event.

And this is the last time Chris Weidman will be relevant.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

I understand all the arguments about having the number 1 guy getting the shot. But I can't help but have a gut feeling that if Bisping had beaten Belfort and moved up to the number one spot and gotten the title shot, some of the same people making the case for Weidman to get a shot would be the people saying that the rankings are bullshit and that Bisping didn't deserve the shot even if he was "ranked" as number one.... Riv, before you say that I am wrong in my assumptions, I am not, because we had threads about how it would be bullshit if Bisping got a shot with a win over Belfort. But I am pretty sure that win would have given him the number one spot on most rankings...

I just hope that 2 years down the line, when people look back at this fight, they give Silva credit for beating Weidman, no matter how easy he makes it look. That people will refer to Weidman as they do now, as the clear cut number 1, a great wrestler with great BJJ, a dominant force in ADCC, a wrecking machine who steam rolled Munoz, an undefeated contender. But I am afraid he will be referred to as an inexperienced new comer with only 9 fights to his name who was coming of a year long layoff due to injury.

I think its pretty funny with all the Weidman is going to get murdered and he is going to be irrelevant after this fight type shit being said here. I think its going to be a close one and is up for grabs.
    Favorite Fights: Jonny Bones Jones, Wandy, Hendo, Cain, Matt Hughes, Melvin.

Most disliked fighters: Michael Bisping, Spankie Edgar, Alistair Overeem, Anderson Silva, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Homeboy is getting destroyed. Period.

The Spider 2nd round KO.
    sig bet?

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    I understand all the arguments about having the number 1 guy getting the shot. But I can't help but have a gut feeling that if Bisping had beaten Belfort and moved up to the number one spot and gotten the title shot, some of the same people making the case for Weidman to get a shot would be the people saying that the rankings are bullshit and that Bisping didn't deserve the shot even if he was "ranked" as number one.... Riv, before you say that I am wrong in my assumptions, I am not, because we had threads about how it would be bullshit if Bisping got a shot with a win over Belfort. But I am pretty sure that win would have given him the number one spot on most rankings...

I just hope that 2 years down the line, when people look back at this fight, they give Silva credit for beating Weidman, no matter how easy he makes it look. That people will refer to Weidman as they do now, as the clear cut number 1, a great wrestler with great BJJ, a dominant force in ADCC, a wrecking machine who steam rolled Munoz, an undefeated contender. But I am afraid he will be referred to as an inexperienced new comer with only 9 fights to his name who was coming of a year long layoff due to injury.
    I think you may be missing a few things...I don't know that a win over Belfort would give Bisping the #1 contender spot.

Yes, if Bisping were to beat Belfort, it would have been his first win over a solidly ranked top 10 MW. Sure, he eked out a decision against Stann when Brian was softly ranked as high as 7 on some rankings. But it wasn't a decisive fight, and it didn't do anything to illustrate that Bisping is anything but a points-fighter.

At the time of their fight, Belfort wasn't a top 5 MW, although he was riding some hype from taking the short notice fight with Bones and almost exposing a mediocre submission defense in the champion. Belfort wasn't in danger of dropping out of the top 10 entirely with a loss to Bisping [meaning he wasn't as softly ranked as Stann was at 152] but he wasn't in contention for a title rematch or anything.

So essentially, in the minds of a lot of people, Bisping would have to controll the fight wire to wire, and finish Belfort decisively to truly be in contention for that #1 spot, and not win it for being a loudmouth who North Americans want to see lose--consequently buying his PPVs.

Weidman had beaten Maia on 10 days notice, and won all three rounds. Maia wasn't a world beater either, he was about as softly ranked at top 10 as Stann was. Then he went on to absolutely destroy Munoz. Munoz was softly ranked at top 5, sure--because the loss plummeted him from top 3 to about 8--but the performance could be argued to be a better win than a decision over Belfort.

So again, Bisping would have had to destroy Belfort in the same way that Weidman had destroyed Munoz in order to be considered a legitimate contender.

But he didn't, so it's a moot point.

Again, I don't believe Weidman is going to win. I've said repeatedly that Anderson probably wins this fight 7 out of 10 times. But he's earned the fight, and he has legitimate skills. I don't think he's going anywhere, unless the loss effects him mentally--and sometimes, with undefeated fighters, that's a possibility.

I'm pleased Anderson is facing him, even though I'm a Weidman fan and I think he'll lose.

Very simply, I believe a champion is obliged to defend against the #1 contender, and not look for easier fights that would make more money. I'm fine with the vanity fights, as long as he's defending at MW a minimum of one time a year.

There are going to be some people who will immediately hate on Weidman if he loses, because there are a lot of people who hate Anderson. I'm not one of them. To me, that's as blind as saying Anderson will never lose, ever, against anyone in the world or whatever inflated nonsense the blindest of his fans come up with. Some people are going to dismiss him as a newcomer, or blame the layoff, or whatever. I'm not that guy. I wish he'd didn't have a layoff, I wish he'd gotten in one more fight at the elite level, but he signed a contract. It is what it is.

Anderson is one of the greatest fighters to ever step in a cage or ring. Weidman is a great fighter, and regardless of the outcome, I'm hoping for two healthy fighters to come in and give us their best performances to date.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    sig bet?
    Sure. Ive never done one before so just in case the slim chance that im wrong, I might need a little assistance putting one up.

1 month?

Quote Originally Posted by 0mega1 View Post
    Sure. Ive never done one before so just in case the slim chance that im wrong, I might need a little assistance putting one up.

1 month?
    sure. what terms? No finish, Weidman wins, what have you?

Well would you look at that, now lets stfu about the drama behind this fight happening.
    Jones Era >> Machida Era
    Favorite fighters: Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Michael Johnson, Jose Aldo, Chris Weidman.

Quote Originally Posted by JPeezy View Post
    Another intelligent contribution by CTGreat.

Quote Originally Posted by Luc1an View Post
    And this is the last time Chris Weidman will be relevant.
    Highly doubtful.

Quote Originally Posted by CtGreat View Post
    Well would you look at that, now lets stfu about the drama behind this fight happening.
    You STFU
    Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

Thread Information