Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Overeem injured, out of fight against jds

2. Default

Dana White: Alistair Overeem, not Mark Hunt, will fight Junior dos Santos next - MMA Fighting

Mark Hunt will not be replacing Alistair Overeem against Junior dos Santos after all.

Less than a day after news broke that the much-anticipated UFC 160 heavyweight fight was canceled due to an Overeem injury, UFC president Dana White told MMAFighting.com that dos Santos and Overeem will happen at a later date.

"It's not gonna happen," White said when asked about the possibility of Hunt fighting dos Santos next. "JDS vs. Overeem will."
    White said a date for the dos Santos vs. Overeem fight had yet to be determined.

Overeem announced on Thursday that he suffered a quadriceps tear, which will sideline him for four-to-five weeks.

On Wednesday, Hunt proclaimed he was "down" to fight dos Santos, if the UFC asked. Apparently, they will not.
    *Just a hunch, but I don't think the UFC wants Mark Hunt anywhere near the top HW's.
    When you're down.... you're down 4-Life

JDS ain't scared. The UFC is scared for JDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    Dana White: Alistair Overeem, not Mark Hunt, will fight Junior dos Santos next - MMA Fighting

*Just a hunch, but I don't think the UFC wants Mark Hunt anywhere near the top HW's.
    Certainly not trying to pick a fight, but why not? Hunt is marketable, he's an "every man", he can take a shot and certainly dish one out as well. He has an exciting style. Sure his ground game is fairly weak and can be easily exposed by fighters like Mir and Cain, but it's the same with a lot of HW fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by the_dark_angel_4ever View Post
    Certainly not trying to pick a fight, but why not? Hunt is marketable, he's an "every man", he can take a shot and certainly dish one out as well. He has an exciting style. Sure his ground game is fairly weak and can be easily exposed by fighters like Mir and Cain, but it's the same with a lot of HW fighters.
    Will the fight draw nearly as much as Horsemeat vs JDS? No. Difference is in the millions.

Quote Originally Posted by BonesKnows View Post
    UPDATE:

AO out with a slight tear in his Quad.

I suppose fight will only be postponed til late summer/early fall. Injury doesn't sound super serious.

Well I don't understand why some fighters can have the fights they want even if those fights make no sense at all and others do not have the same privilege.

In this case, we can not say that Hunt vs JDS is the fight that makes most sense, but it is not as ridiculous as Chael vs Jones or another dozen of examples that I can name.

I think that UFC is indeed scared that Hunt may beat JDS.
    Not only brazilians can do this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha K View Post
    Well I don't understand why some fighters can have the fights they want even if those fights make no sense at all and others do not have the same privilege.

In this case, we can not say that Hunt vs JDS is the fight that makes most sense, but it is not as ridiculous as Chael vs Jones or another dozen of examples that I can name.

I think that UFC is indeed scared that Hunt may beat JDS.
    You understand well enough.

In the UFC... money talks while credibility of competition walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    Will the fight draw nearly as much as Horsemeat vs JDS? No. Difference is in the millions.

I suppose fight will only be postponed til late summer/early fall. Injury doesn't sound super serious.
    Agreed, but the question was about keeping Hunt away from other top HW's, not about what would draw more JDS/Hunt or JDS/AO. Why would they "protect" the other top HW's from Hunt so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    Mark Hunt is the black sheep of the UFC family.
    Mark Hunt is the real-life embodiment of the fighter AO would like to be.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information