Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nick Diaz calls GSP pampered, and that he's the real hero in this story

Quote Originally Posted by YukonJordan View Post
    - I believe Hendricks is a more legit #1 contender however I'm not too concerned about Diaz jumping the queue. He's still a legit top 5 and many people myself included believe he won the Condit fight. Hendricks will get his shot but I don't see him showing Georges anything that Koschek hasn't already tried.
    -It was a close fight and whether he should have got the win against Condit has no relevance. It wasn't a Shogun/Machida 1 type robbery.
    -Hendricks may not get a shot. He is facing Condit now who is an amazing fighter that can beat anyone on any given night.
    -Hendricks beat Kos when he was sick. Hendricks has better striking then Koscheck who throws telegraphed right hands over and over and Hendricks has way more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakara=Excitement View Post
    So on a scale of 1 to 10, what are Diaz's chances of actually winning the fight? I'm being serious, no nut huggers with their 10's (eyeing you dbader).
    I'd say 3 to 4 out of 5, depending on Georges' plan. If Georges comes to engage, Nick's chances go up, considerably.

Nick is a better boxer than Georges, and St. Pierre isn't used to someone of Nick's length. Barring landing lightning in a bottle, Georges' doesn't have the power to threaten Nick's chin, so I would imagine Nick is going to look to take a shot to land a combo, as he is won't to do. Georges doesn't have good head movement, so I would imagine Nick will look to soften the body early, but then shift to the head.

Georges has the skills to win, obviously. He can employ Condit's peck-and-run gameplan better than Condit did. He's a highly versatile striker who mixes in kicks with his combos better than anyone else in the game...but he has to realize he's more vulnerable to strikes than Nick is. He's going to need to depend on footwork rather than wooden head movement.

His other option is to simply employ the same gameplan he did against Penn and focus on a takedown-athon, and look to work the blood out of Nick's shoulders to take the pop off his strikes. Georges' submission defense is the base of his blackbelt, Nick would be hard pressed to submit him from his back.

Those are two strategies Georges has employed successfully before. He's been able to come in and put any emotional concerns aside and simply do work. If he's able to maintain composure, I see him as winning 7 or 8 times out of 10.

But it's MMA, and anything can happen. That's what makes it exciting.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

rob_bills Guest

So on a scale of 1 to 10, what are Diaz's chances of actually winning the fight? I'm being serious, no nut huggers with their 10's (eyeing you dbader).
    I would say his chance to win is maybe a 4/10. I want him to win but hes gonna have to do something new to make it work.

3/10 at best.
    Realistically, GSP wins this on every level, aside from gettin caught with a flash lucky punch or something to that affect.
    Favorites: Fedor, Lytle, BJ, Tito, Wandy, Shogun, GSP, Belcher, Leben, Sonnen, Rutten...
    Most Hated: Cerrone, Maynard, Fitch, Rashad, Lesnar, Shields, Kos, Jon Jones....

I want to tell myself that Nick has a better chance than he actually does to get pumped up for this fight, but the truth is, realistically I give him a 1-2 shot at it. Nick can either overwhelm someone with strikes or catch them with a submission, but I don't see either working out for him.

His striking mostly works when he lands in bunches but that is very hard to do against a guy like GSP who will take you down as soon as you start throwing combos. Once the fight goes to the ground I think GSPs top game is too good and not offensive enough for Diaz to find a crack and land a sub.

If Diaz had one punch KO power I would give him a better chance, but right now, given I find it impossible that he outstrikes GSP into a decision win, the only way I see him winning is catching GSP with a sub, also very unlikely.

Hope I'm wrong, but I'm calling it a 49-46 UD GSP.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIFTboy View Post
    I rode a horse. Banged in a hot spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Is he bigger then WarMachine?

7. Default

There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

I thought Nick made a lot of valid points about scoring and rules. I also loved the backflip statement.

That being said, GSP's style is his kryptonite. Top control, explosive takedowns, cardio, and won't make many mistakes for Nick to capitalize on. 2/10 chance to win if GSP fights to win.
    You say shark I say hey man, Jaws was never my scene and I don't like Star Wars

"I don't get a lot of recognition for what I have to do here," said Diaz (26-8) in one of his long venting rants. "A lot of these guys go to red carpet events, are in magazines I think I'd be pretty upset. I'm coming to whip this guy's a**."
    What in the hell does he expect? How does one get recognition in this sport? Hmmm...let me think, maybe answering questions, doing press conferences, not flipping every single person off... just some small steps.

"This fight is happening and nobody knows who I am. Well, everybody does. But as far as mainstream magazines, and Nike and Adidas, I'm left out of that. I just think I should be given the credit that I deserve, and that Georges St-Pierre (23-2) should be given the decorated opponent that he deserves. And I'm hardly that from the fans' perspective and people's perspective. And that makes me pretty angry. And I come off on a video pretty angry. You can't say I'm disrespectful because I'd like the acknowledgement that I've gotten over the last months or weeks from Georges St-Pierre, because he'll tell you he believes I'm the right guy to be in this position."
    Again, what do you expect? Hardcore fans will obviously know him well, but the mainstream media won't display someone who is so disrespectful to the media and the sport doesn't want to showcase someone who is a bad image for the sport. If you don't go to press conferences, do the media requirements, and constantly complain about the sport as a whole there might be a reason that you aren't given respect. You must give it to receive it. Then when you do happen to do SOMETHING the company asks you, you complain about it also, I just don't know how one would think that they would deserve anything more.

"People will see mixed martial arts for what it is and what it used to be," he said. "They've manipulated it, the scoring, the judging system. I think they should take the elbows out, too. It nullifies the action. That's how it works. One day people are going to realize it, and realize that this motherf**** was saying it the whole time."
    Elbows = nullifying action. DAFUQ? If you're going to argue against the wrestling aspect, because your biased to JJ mind you, I can somewhat understand that. I believe that people who lie in guard without advancing or raining down blows or submission attempts should be either stood up or have points taken. On the same note, TRAIN TAKEDOWN DEFENSE. But to say that elbows are nullifying the action... I think you meant it nullifies the guy getting hit every now and then from being conscious. Also, I believe he could be biased as a guy who gets cut rather easily, that part I can feel some sympathy for. You could hit Diaz with a couple elbows and he bleeds, it would take a shit ton for BJ to bleed, just happens with some people.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

He has much less of a chance than Condit IMO. 3 tops.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Thread Information