+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jon Fitch Signs With...

Hybrid View

Default Jon Fitch Signs With...

Jon Fitch Signs with World Series of Fighting

Jon Fitch has found a new home.

The former UFC welterweight contender has signed a four-fight contract with World Series of Fighting, the promotion's senior executive vice president Ali Abdel-Aziz confirmed with MMAFighting.com Thursday night. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 35-year-old Fitch (24-5-1) was released from the UFC in February following his loss to Demian Maia. The last time he fought outside of the UFC was in July 2005 when he defeated Jeff Joslin via split decision at an event called Freedom Fight.
    I really thought that the UFC would re-sign him.

BP
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

2. Default

DCdoctr why would you think they would resign Fitch? He hasn't gotten any better, had nothing to show against GSP, Just lost two decesively, making upper end money, not a fan favorite as good guy or bad guy, and mostly DW not a fan of his.

Many have left the UFC some if they did well came back. So just because a fighter is cut doesn't mean they'll never fight in the UFC again.

Quote Originally Posted by _DCdoctr_ View Post
    Jon Fitch Signs with World Series of Fighting

I really thought that the UFC would re-sign him.

BP

For less money??

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    For less money??
    Yup. Which would of course return to their previous levels once Fitch returned to his winning ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    DCdoctr why would you think they would resign Fitch? He hasn't gotten any better, had nothing to show against GSP, Just lost two decesively, making upper end money, not a fan favorite as good guy or bad guy, and mostly DW not a fan of his.
    Fitch has a decently reputable name. I would think the UFC wouldn't want to lose that name. However, I understand why he was dropped, but I think there's more to the story than Dana's tirade regarding Fitch being on a decline.

There have been other fighters on this "decline" who have dropped to lower weight classes in an attempt to prove their worth. Who knows if Fitch was given any options. At this point who cares, because what's done is done.

In Fitch's case, his name pulls him a lot of money regardless if Joe knocks him down to Facebook fights. My thoughts were that ZUFFA was letting Jon go, thusly freeing them to possibly renegotiate a reasonable contract for a fighter of his recent competitive outcomes.

To speculate even further, I feel that Fitch could be performing below his capabilities because regardless he was bringing home the bacon in a big way. We've seen this happen to other pro athletes who receive big bonuses and/or pay raises, which a lot of times results in them getting soft/complacent/loss of hunger.

BP
    Last edited by _DCdoctr_; 03-08-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    Kevo's response regarding Jon Jones' toe injury:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trodden View Post
    At what point did the injury occur?
    Quote Originally Posted by KevoOnTheRadio View Post
    The part where his big toe does a backflip

I don't like Fitch. At all. But I do like WSOF and the name recognition that he brings. I think this is going to be a good deal for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Good signing for wsof
    Just remembered my password for this site

Proud supporter of the Philadelphia Eagles,New York Yankees,San Antonio Spurs,Boston Bruins

fav mma fights roger gracie,jason mayhem miller,jeremy stephens,Robert drysdale

Smart of him to avoid Bellator, I'm sure he hopes to get back to the UFC

Quote Originally Posted by NLRepublic View Post
    Smart of him to avoid Bellator, I'm sure he hopes to get back to the UFC
    More like Bellator avoided him.

Quote Originally Posted by Qball1974 View Post
    More like Bellator avoided him.
    I don't get that one.

IMO, BFC should want to bring somebody in to challenge Askren with top tier cred, not just some fighter who Ben is going to grapplefuck for five rounds. It gives his claim as a top WW more cred, Fitch is a pretty big name and IF Fitch were to have won, I think it spices up the division, as Askren has run unopposed for such a while now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information