+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UFC 162 odds: Anderson Silva opens as -215 favorite against Chris Weidman (+165)

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    The odds are pretty close. To bet on Weidman I would want to see the odds favor him a little more. Long layoff as well could hamper him. Might be good odds to belt on Silva. Arguably greatest of all time and hasn't appeared to have any decline in his older age.
    I'm a Weidman fan, I can't see taking anything less than 2.5 to 1 for him to win. I'd jump at 3.5 to 4, which is where I thought it would come in at.

I just think Anderson has the skills and the experience to exploit Chris's weaknesses.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

wait....did you just say Genki Sudo unretired?

Quote Originally Posted by MIZjitsZOU View Post
    The odds are pretty close. To bet on Weidman I would want to see the odds favor him a little more. Long layoff as well could hamper him. Might be good odds to belt on Silva. Arguably greatest of all time and hasn't appeared to have any decline in his older age.
    If these odds stay the same come fight week I will definitely be putting some money down on Anderson.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I really think Weidman has a good chance at winning and Vegas sees it too. I was going to put some decent coin on this fight but the odds aren't nearly as favorable as I thought they would be.

It's a true testiment to a fighter's greatness when so many are waiting for the day he finally falls....that being said. I don't see Chris as even being able to beat Bisping let alone Anderson Silva. Not sure how he got to the #1 spot to begin with. His biggest win was who again? Munoz? and who had Munoz beaten? sorry but I don't see him as anything special, the only way he wins is if Anderson has a bad night. But if he's 100 percent on like he was in his last fight, I could see Anderson's defense taking weidman's heart away before he gets finished....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

Weidman has that tall frame with those long arms, it's possible Anderson won't be able to enter Chris's range as easily as he has against some of his other opponents. Chris isn't going to be looking to strike much, as he obviously wants to take the fight to the ground...so between Anderson not possibly getting as many counterstrike oppurtunities as he'd like, and Chris's size, it may actually be a difficult fight for Anderson. But if Chris can't bring Anderson down somewhat early, Anderson will most likely be able to land some good shots and hurt him.

Anderson usually shows up in such good shape and so ready in these big fights, though...and Chris has had a long layoff and is still inexperienced. All things considered I definitely favor Anderson by a considerable amount...but at the same time I see Chris as a very talented fighter and possibly a bad match up for Anderson, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see him win.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Very surprising! I expected Anderson to be at least a 3 or 4 to 1 odds. This is the closest odds in an Anderson fight since he faced Hendo more than 5 years ago.

Yeah, Anderson is already up to -380 at 5dimes. lol

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Anderson is getting old. Weidman is a strong wrestler in his prime with everything to gain and nothing to lose... and then there is the age difference.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

I'll +1 that these odds are waaay closer than I expected. Just for comparison, here are the opening line odds from the past 5 years or so:

-215 Silva/+165 Weidman @ UFC 162
    -1350 Silva/+850 Bonnar @UFC 153
    -235 Silva/+175 Sonnen (Rematch) @ UFC 148
    -425 Silva/+325 Okami @ UFC 134
    -325 Silva/+250 Belfort @ UFC 126
    -450 Silva/+300 Sonnen @ UFC 117
    -425 Silva/+325 Maia @ UFC 112
    -240 Silva/+190 Griffin @ UFC 101
    -275 Silva/ +215 Leites @ UFC 97

As far back as I can tell, the only two times he has opened with worse odds as of 2007 were against Hendo where he was favored -140/+100 and against Nate Marquardt as a -190/+155 favorite

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information