Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Georges St-Pierre thinks Weidman won't just beat Anderson Silva, he'll finish him

Quote Originally Posted by Luc1an View Post
    I dont think Weidman has much of a shot at all. Not sure why people are giving so much credit. His wrestling isnt better than Chael's or Okami's, his standup isnt better than Vitor's, his BJJ isnt better than Maia's. So where is the threat to AS exactly?? I dunno, i just dont see it. Chris gets stopped in rd2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rahdizzle View Post
    MMA math.
    not at all, but thanks for coming out.

Im simply stating that whatever Chris Wiedman brings to the table, Anderson Silva has seen and seen much better versions of that particular threat already.
    You are saying...

- If Chael/Okami couldn't beat Anderson in wrestling and their wrestling is better than Weidman's, then there's no way Weidman can be a threat to outwrestle Anderson.
    - If Vitor couldn't beat Anderson in striking and his striking is better than Weidman's, then there's no way Weidman can be a threat to outstrike Anderson.
    - If Maia couldn't beat Anderson using his BJJ and his BJJ is better than Weidman's, then there's no way Weidman can be a threat to outgrapple Anderson.

... that is what you are saying.

If Vitor Belfort couldn't outstrike Chuck and his striking is better than Randy Couture's, then there's no way Randy can be a threat to outstrike Chuck?

If Anderson wins, people are going to talk about the layoff, that Weidman was t ready etc, it's really a no win situation for Anerson, just a payday against a dangerous younger fighter
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.

Oscar Wilde

not at all, but thanks for coming out.

Im simply stating that whatever Chris Wiedman brings to the table, Anderson Silva has seen and seen much better versions of that particular threat already.
    You're missing that Weidman is a more complete fighter than any of them, Belfort included. Sure, Maia has better submissions than Chris, but he lacks the takedowns and striking to set them up. Sonnen and Okami have better takedowns, but they also lack in striking and GnP, as well as Jits and sub defense. Belfort has better striking, but is not an outstanding grappler.

So what Silva has been able to do with each of the guys you've mentioned, is completely disregard various aspect of their game, and focus entirely on defending where his opponent is opponent is strong. Weidman might not be as outstanding in one aspect as each of them, but he's more well rounded, and transitions better into other disciplines.

I'm not saying that Anderson is going to lose, or that Chris is a lock, but he's the most complete fighter and the best defense Anderson has had since he fought Dan Henderson over 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Nevertheless it is my opinion. If this was Soares/Silva saying the samething about GSP getting KTFO by Hendricks you (and those with common interest) would be on the other side of the fence barking up a storm.
    In all seriousness, I believe your opinion is every bit as valid as ed soares' opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by mmafan111 View Post
    If Anderson wins, people are going to talk about the layoff, that Weidman was t ready etc, it's really a no win situation for Anerson, just a payday against a dangerous younger fighter
    some people are, sure.

Some people hate Anderson.

If Chris wins, some people are going to say it was a fluke, or whatever. Because some people love Anderson so much that they can't think of him as human.

Both of those types of people are pains in the ass to be around. But you're not going to do anything to change their opinions.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by roaddawg View Post
    Nevertheless it is my opinion. If this was Soares/Silva saying the samething about GSP getting KTFO by Hendricks you (and those with common interest) would be on the other side of the fence barking up a storm.
    That's where you got it all wrong. I would never tell Silva to STFU if he gave his opinion on any fight. I would state if I agreed or disagreed with his opinion, but wouldn't disregard his opinion disrespectfully like you do. I've been on this forums for 6+ years and you won't find a single post where I've done that.

The thing you have a huge problem is that when someone questions anything about Anderson Silva or any fighter you like, you automatically think they're a hater. You're one of the most biased people on this forums and have trouble seeing things from other's perspective without labelling them as a hater or a fanboy.

I still don't think this fight is going to happen. Anderson will magically get injured. If it does go through I hope Anderson wins.

I remember saying a couple months ago that Weidman was a much bigger threat to Anderson than Rashad was and got flamed into oblivion. Its nice to see people acknowledging Weidman's chances now. It is kind of hard to downplay it now when one of the best MMA fighters ever is saying he is going to not only win but finish Anderson. I think GSP knows more than most people on these boards about MMA.

i don't think anyone who's really a fan of mma can say that weidman isn't a threat to anderson. he obviously is.

with that said, i don't think that's why anderson's reluctant for this fight. i think he wants to get paid. chris weidman isn't gonna help him sell a ppv.

i do hope he wins this fight then finally everyone can shut the fuck up because he truly has cleaned that division out. After that he has no other fight left really but jones imo.

do it at 200lb. no title. just to fight. it will make them both millions. if he loses, go back to 185 and defend the title a few more times and still retire as champ.
    lemme touch your feet

I personally think Anderson does to Weidman what he does to everyone. He will beat Weidman and I think he will beat him convincingly as usual.

I will agree with GSP on one thing, it won't last long. Weidman is a dangerous matchup for Anderson, that's why I think Anderson will turn it up and end it quickly as to not give Weidman too much time.
    Favorite UFC Fighters:

HW-Cigano, Frank Mir, Cain Valasquez
    LHW-Machida, Franklin, Jon Jones
    MW-Maia, Gouveia, Anderson
    WW-GSP, Hazelett ,Diaz
    LW-BJ Penn, Huerta, Lauzon

Quote Originally Posted by mmafan111 View Post
    A champion fighting the number one contender in his respective division is a no-win situation?

Riiiiiiiiiiiight.

That's what the title of champion entails.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    That's where you got it all wrong. I would never tell Silva to STFU if he gave his opinion on any fight. I would state if I agreed or disagreed with his opinion, but wouldn't disregard his opinion disrespectfully like you do. I've been on this forums for 6+ years and you won't find a single post where I've done that.
    What you have wrong is that I also critisize even my favorite fighters. Like Silva not being able to hype fights or like Rampage having crappy foot work and being unmotivated. The bias you speak of doesn't exist and clearly you read what you want to read.

If posting an opinon on comments made by another fighter is a sin then by all means cast the 1st stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    The thing you have a huge problem is that when someone questions anything about Anderson Silva or any fighter you like, you automatically think they're a hater. You're one of the most biased people on this forums and have trouble seeing things from other's perspective without labelling them as a hater or a fanboy.
    It really doesn't take a lot to pick up on people's bias and disdain for Silva/camp included. I haven't called anyone a hater in this thread but I will call them biased and that in itself is no crime.

95.5% of the posts regarding Silva are pretty negative and that is something hard to ignore. The funny part is Silva takes the Cain V approach and does his fighting in the octagon and still catches shit just for having an opinion on whom he would like to fight next (no different than GSP).

Maybe its just me but I see right through people's bs and would respect them more if they just came right out and said they hate Silva (like I hate Sonnen). It is my opinon that GSP should worry less about Silva getting KTFO and worry more about Diaz and Hendricks. The situation he will find himself in later is just as bad to me especially against Hendricks. I believe GSP is getting KTFO like Kampman.

Quote Originally Posted by rivethead View Post
    In all seriousness, I believe your opinion is every bit as valid as ed soares' opinion.
    A compliment... well received.
    Last edited by roaddawg; 03-14-2013 at 04:48 AM.
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Thread Information