Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dr. Benjamin: Struve, Silva should retire

Default Dr. Benjamin: Struve, Silva should retire

Dr. Benjamin: Struve, Silva should retire - Mixed Martial Arts News

Steph Daniels: What are your thoughts on the series of punches Stefan Struve ate that not only dislodged a tooth, but fractured his jaw

Johnny Benjamin: When I saw it, I wasn't really surprised, because when I see a fighter get tired and start mouth breathing, trying to get as much air as possible into their lungs, I always think it's just a matter of time before they get their jaw broken. If you're not clenched down on that mouthpiece, you're very susceptible to what happened. We all know that Mark Hunt punches like a mule kicks, so it wasn't surprising at all, the outcome of that fight.

SD: How long would you personally recommend that Struve stay away from combat activity, considering the severity of his injuries?

JB: Many people think, and Stefan will probably think, 'The doctor said I'm good to go, so I'll get right back in the gym and go at it', but, even though we're great at healing bones, it's not so easy to heal the brain. How many times has he been knocked out? I know he's a young man, but he's been knocked out more than a few times.

At some point, someone really needs to ask the question, should he still be fighting? That many concussions, so quickly, and at this young age ... a person has two types of age, chronological and physiologic age. Stefan's license may say he's 25, but in physiologic years, he's much, much older than that, with all the concussive force that he's sustained.

SD: We just watched Wanderlei Silva go for broke in his fight with Brian Stann and sustain several blows that put him on the canvas, yet he came back for the victory. What are your thoughts there?

JB: Anybody who loves fighting, loves Wanderlei Silva. You just can't not like Wanderlei. It's impossible. Once again, if you like human beings, if you like people who can still remember where they put their car keys or the names of their kids, Then you should have hope that there's a life after fighting for Wandy, because he won't fight forever, and he won't live a long life if he continues doing what he's doing.

The types of concussive force that he's sustained can also lead to depression, which can make it a pretty difficult life in the future. I've been saying it for a few years now, Wandy, I love you, but please stop. Please retire.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Can't argue with logic.

This guy's not wrong, but we're all slaves to the $$$

4. Default

This douchebag is whoring his medical credentials for popularity. I can't stand him. He has said some pretty stupid shit in the past. Women can't fight 5 minute rounds, part of the popularity of the UFC is that it is seen as being one of the last sporting bastions of white male superiority, implying Frank Mir wrecked his body using PEDs, falsely stating that Pat Militech had neck surgery (he didn't, but it forced Pat to have to pay 4k for additional tests so he could be cleared to fight), etc...

This guy is a cocksucking piece of shit that can go fuck himself.
    ------------------

Struves only really bad knockout was to Browne. He didn't get fully knocked out vs JDS, Nelson, or Hunt. As long as he's taking time off in between each one of them, I don't see what the big deal is. And sure a broken jaw is a bad injury but once it heals it'll be fine. He will take his time to come back.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Well it is mma...it's definitely not good for your brain...but this is what he chooses to do and I don't see why he should retire right now. He didn't take much damage at all during his recent win streak, so that was a nice break from getting punched hard for a while. He should take a long break after this fight vs Hunt and see where he's at when he comes back and fights a few more times imo.

i'm inclined to believe the doctor on this one... even if the person doesn't get knocked out cold multiple punches to the head, and going balls out, does not bode well for the fighters. minor brain traumas can add up and can take a significant toll on fighters. that being said... they are fighters... its impossible for them to NOT take punches to the head... so you gotta take some risks.. hopefully they aren't too big of risks and cost you later on in life, but who can promise such things? i'm sure some people can take massive amounts of damage and live a healthy life after fighting, while another guy could take little damage in comparison and be worse off..

i'm not a doctor nor do i know much about medical issues.. i'm just repeating what i've heard about brain trauma. lol.
    Come check out my video game stream!
    http://www.twitch.tv/el_dpay

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    Well it is mma...it's definitely not good for your brain...but this is what he chooses to do and I don't see why he should retire right now. He didn't take much damage at all during his recent win streak, so that was a nice break from getting punched hard for a while. He should take a long break after this fight vs Hunt and see where he's at when he comes back and fights a few more times imo.
    It takes one longer than you would think to recover from traumatic concussions and often the damage is irreparable.

There needs to be more study on CTE... but there is no money in it. So we will see some real information on brain damage and sports in about 50 years, if we aren't living underground like moles by then.

Obviously I don't know for sure, but I'd think that the affects differ from person to person. A person's genetic makeup, precisely where your getting hit, and obviously all of it adding up over time are all things that can determine the severity of the affects imo. One could also argue that damage taken at a later age could end up being worse. It's up to the person to really pay attention to how they feel and to question whether they should think about doing something else or not. Hopefully he takes a long ass break and they give him a less dangerous opponent his next bout.

Thread Information