Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitch surprised and not surprised by UFC release, he ‘always felt there was issues

Default Fitch surprised and not surprised by UFC release, he ‘always felt there was issues

Fitch surprised and not surprised by UFC release, says he ‘always felt there was some kind of issue'
    Jon Fitch surprised and not surprised by UFC release, says he ?always felt there was some kind of issue' - MMAmania.com

On Friday's (March 8, 2013) edition of "Inside MMA" on AXS TV, Fitch was interviewed by hosts Kenny Rice and Bas Rutten and was asked to share his thoughts on his release for the first time since it happened.

Here's what he had to say:

"It was a surprise, but not really. I've always felt there was some kind of issue between the UFC and me; I never understood what it was. I felt like - I never really felt like they were happy with me, they never talked to me or explained anything to me about how they felt or where they stood, so it was a surprise in that sense, but it wasn't a surprise in that I kind of felt it coming."
    Outside of the assurances of getting multiple fights a year in WSOF, Fitch's contract allows him to compete in grappling tournaments and perhaps even overseas, where he has only had the chance to compete once in his 11-year career.

"They're going to keep me busy, I should easily be able to fight three or four times a year with them. And if they don't keep me busy I'll be able to find work outside of the organization. I'll be able to - as long as it's not within 45-days of a fight I'll be able to grapple and compete in submission wrestling and other grappling competition and I think I might be able to fight overseas if time permits."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

He never knew what the UFC's problem was? really!?!?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Fight Club View Post
    well now I've seen War Machine's dick. fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by GL Jeff View Post
    Ill go against the grain.
    Werdum via triangle
    Someone needs to cheer for those poor souls.

he cant be that dumb
    Goodbye Mr. Burton

All in the reflexes
    Anderson Silva 5: TRT USERS 0 Hendo - Forrest - Nate - Chael... twice

Yeah it's his fault that it doesn't make any sense to him that winning doesn't equal praise and respect. He must think he is in a sport or something and not pure entertainment. I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    Yeah it's his fault that it doesn't make any sense to him that winning doesn't equal praise and respect. He must think he is in a sport or something and not pure entertainment. I don't wanna live on this planet anymore.
    Even as a sport, it's still entertainment... And as talented as Fitch is, he's abiut as exciting to watch as paint drying. I respect Fitch. I can respect how difficult it is to completely grapple fuck someone for 15 minutes... But that being said, when Fitch came on to fight I though "gee, I've got a quick fifteen to grab more beer/take a dump/ whatever else I might need to do." Because a Jon Fitch fight was pretty much a snoozer... If there were any other exciting moments.... it was probably the other guy doing something. I dot think he should have been cut, but I get it, and if he had his ear to the ground and was paying attention he should if got it too. I'm not saying its right, or he Should change his style, but it is what it is.

MMA shouldn't have any grappling so that we can only watch standup fights. Boohoo... a fighter that made it to the pinnacle of the sport by grappling and GNP.

You act as though Jon Fitch is Jake Shields.

I thought Fitch was entertaining. His style was something I learned from in a grappling sense. If I just wanted to watch stand up; I would watch K1 or an organization like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniggles View Post
    MMA shouldn't have any grappling so that we can only watch standup fights. Boohoo... a fighter that made it to the pinnacle of the sport by grappling and GNP.

You act as though Jon Fitch is Jake Shields.
    Nah, I respect Fitch, and though I don't enjoy his fights I think he's a great fighter. I hate jake shields. He fights like a one pile of laundry lays on another pile of laundry. I just think you have to be realistic... Most viewrs by definition are casual viewers, they don't get nor enjoy what Jon Fitch brings to the table. I like grappling when it's mixed up with other techniques, I don't enjoy a aolid fifteen minutes of it... Maybe it's my ADD.

i'm not really gonna miss fitch. and if he's not in bellator i don't really see what matches at 170 really make sense for him in any rankings type of way.

and he can't be that dumb. he knows damn well why ufc cut him. the video game shit plus his style. he can't sell ppvs and he beats all the top contenders.
    lemme touch your feet

I'll miss Fitch. I've never found his style boring, I've looked forward to his fights.

Part of that is because he goes against the mold of the current trend in zuffa...to talk smack, to oversell abilities and work the hype angle more than the actual skillset, etc. I don't think he's necessarily on the decline, either. I think it's funny, you've got a guy like Fitch whose topgame is 150% better than Diego or Guida, and yet these guys get FOTN bonuses because they shoot for TD's constantly...but can't submit fighters and can't keep their opponents down. So essentially they're being rewarded for being less skilled than Jon...

Plus I like that he's a good litmus test for fans who love the discipline of the sport or fans who just want to be entertained. I find I respond more favorably to the former, rather than the latter.

It would be hard to convince me that he didn't get fired over the video game nonsense. dana comes off as so incredibly insecure and emotionally childish, it's actually hard not to imagine it played a huge role in the decision.

rh
    All manner of men came to work for the News: everything from wild young Turks who wanted to rip the world in half and start all over again -- to tired, beer-bellied old hacks who wanted nothing more than to live out their days in peace before a bunch of lunatics ripped the world in half.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
    The Rum Diary

Yeah, Bye.

Thread Information