Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dana White: GSP Wants to Retire Nick Diaz After Diaz Chased Him Around Hotel

There arent many fighters that can say they are going to be extra violent/do even more damage in a fight/ "just watch and see how bad it is", blah, blah, blah , and me actually take it serious. You are supposed to hype a fight, it is a fight so hey anger as a motivator is to be expected, etc. But when Georges Sainte Pierre says it I get a couple goosebumps This guy DOES NOT get angry. He just does what he does. I dont think there is anyone more consistently composed than this guy in the UFC for that matter all of major sportsso when the thought of him doing what he does with a turbocharger of anger and bad intentions comes up? Shit sign me up!!
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

While Diaz outside of the cage is a mess, inside the cage he's exactly what MMA & the UFC need: skilled, aggressive, & fearless. Diaz is a throwback to the early days of the sport & I absolutely love him for it. His ability & mindset while fighting should be admired. He thinks he's the best & goes out to prove it by attempting to finish his opponent in every round.

While GSP is the perfect spokesman for MMA outside the Octagon, in the cage he represents everything bad MMA has become. While immensely talented, he's overly conservative & refuses to take risks. While he obviously believes he's the best, winning & preserving his earning power is more important than fully displaying his skill. His bouts feel less like "fights" & more like exhibitions. It's a testament to his ability that he always wins so easily, but at the same time it seems like somewhat of a disservice to not fully explore what that talent is capable of.

To sum it up, Diaz always shows off everything that makes him strong; GSP only shows how his opponents are weak.

Diaz will more than likely lose this fight, but he may inspire GSP to fight like he's from the 209, & who wouldn't want to see that?
    Last edited by Adambomb; 03-14-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

3. Default

------------------

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    I think he'd be a terrible coach. He's not exactly an articulate speaker and he is also a flake. Who the hell wants an unreliable coach who murmurs and babbles when he is in front of a group of people?

I can't wait to hear Nick's/Cesar's excuses after GSP whoops him.
    Hopefully the marijuana laws have loosened by the time Nick Diaz's future students have to undergo drug tests.

Nick Diaz could retire and we wouldn't know, because he wouldn't show up to announce it.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by H0SS View Post
    To be fair, GSP has been taking on the best fighters in the world, while Nick Diaz has been spoon fed stylistically favorable match-ups for the last 5-6 years...

If he had remained in the UFC, he wouldn't have looked too impressive getting ragdolled by top-level wrestlers at WW.
    Perhaps, but it's not about his specific skillset; it's more about his mindset.
    “Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; an argument an exchange of ignorance.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheKidInside View Post
    I actually hope he retires. I spent some time with him on a few occasions (via Gracie Fighter and once after UFC 118 in Boston) and this is only one of his interests. Triathlons is also not the only other. His bro and him do a lot to give back to the community and I'd rather see him in a coaching and BJJ role because he seems happier doing it, from the way he speaks about it.
    Yeah he obviously is very cool towards the people he knows/works personally with and I'm sure he'd be a good help towards helping those that would want his assistance...and he's very technically sound when it comes to his BJJ game. His boxing isn't very traditional but it's something that works for him and is still pretty crisp. For the right kind of person he could be very helpful in that regard as well.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Wait, the baddest man at 170 got bullied around a hotel and ran from a fight?
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
    Perhaps, but it's not about his specific skillset; it's more about his mindset.
    You can have whatever mindset you want, but if you can't stop a takedown, you are gonna spend alot of time on your back.

I think Diaz's mindset is shit. GSP is at a higher level then Diaz without being a douche. Let's not forget that Diaz didn't earn this title fight.
    USA! USA! USA!

Stealing is wrong!

Because he doesn't have a "win at all costs" mindset and thus coast for the majority of the time?

If every fighter were like GSP, that would be extremely boring. But at the same time, if every fighter were like Diaz, you would question why guys don't fight smarter at times. MMA needs guys like GSP and guys like Diaz both.

I hope this isn't too big, because it's awesome.

Thread Information