Thread: Jake Ellenberger not sure where he fits in after UFC 158 KO, but pursuing title

Hybrid View

Default Jake Ellenberger not sure where he fits in after UFC 158 KO, but pursuing title

Jake Ellenberger not sure where he fits in after UFC 158 KO, but pursuing title | News

Ellenberger (29-6 MMA, 8-2 UFC) on Saturday knocked out former Strikeforce welterweight champ Nate Marquardt (32-12-2 MMA, 10-5 UFC) in the first round. The only problem is, where does that put him in the division.

Champion Georges St-Pierre was victorious over Nick Diaz. Johny Hendricks moved to next in line for GSP with his unanimous decision win over Carlos Condit at UFC 158 in Newark, N.J.

So where does that leave Ellenberger, who has won two straight and eight of his past nine? Even he's not sure.

"I'm not really sure right now," Ellenberger said. "I was just so focused on Nate Marquardt tonight and winning the fight. I've never turned down anyone in the UFC. Anyone they've put me against, I've matched up. I'm focusing on that title shot myself.

At the very least, Ellenberger's boss,UFC President Dana White, took notice. Ellenberger got a $50,000 "Knockout of the Night bonus for his win.

"It was awesome," White said of Ellenberger's performance. "One of the things I said to him in the back, he didn't go for a takedown. He stood right in there with Nate Marquardt and banged and finished him."

Marquardt had gone more than five and a half years without being knocked out – until Ellberger did what he did on Saturday night.

White said after the post-event news conference that the fact Ellenberger didn't rely on his wrestling prowess to beat Marquardt was of particular note.

"I think Ellenberger looked awesome," White said. The thing that was most impressive about Ellenberger was he didn't wrestle with him. He stood up with him."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I would like to see jake vs maia for number one contender and rory vs condit.
    "DO YOU THINK I'M JUST GOING TO SIT THERE AND LET YOU KILL ME JON???"

Nate looked so much bigger than Ellenberger and I thought that he might get the advantage on the feet...

but then Jake knocked him the fuck out.

Such a great KO, too. Ellenberger is stepping up.
    In the end, the only prize a fighter keeps is you. I only ask that you continue supporting all athletes. Keep supporting them, because in the end your applause is the only thing that remains. The rest is only an illusion. - Wanderlei to fans

He pretty much knocked him out twice in one fight... Lol

Jake vs Rory is what I want to see.

GSP vs. Hendricks
    Ellenberger vs. Maia (#1 contender)
    Condit vs. Rory
    Marquardt vs. Diaz (if he doesn't retire/go to jail)
    Kampmann vs. Woodley
    Saffiedine vs. Lawler

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Thread Information