Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Controversy Surrounds Georges St-Pierre’s Hand Wraps at UFC 158

Default Controversy Surrounds Georges St-Pierre’s Hand Wraps at UFC 158

Controversy Surrounds Georges St-Pierre’s Hand Wraps at UFC 158 | 5thRound.com

Press row became a tad bit distracted Saturday night during UFC 158‘s thrilling co-main event between Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit. The drama began when Jake Shields posted a vague tweet after examining Georges St-Pierre’s (pictured) hand wraps on behalf of Nick Diaz.

“I just checked GSP’s gloves and the wrap looked shady…now commission won’t let me back. Been trying to for the past 30 minutes…. Not saying he’s cheating but wtf?!” Shields wrote.

Before a bout, it is customary to have a fighter’s representative examine the tape job of an opponent alongside a supervisor from the athletic commission. Shields was that man for Diaz prior to last night’s featured attraction.

The controversy was much ado about nothing if you were to ask UFC president Dana White.

“So what happened was, Jake Shields was the one who sat in on the hand wrap,” White said at the post-fight press conference. “After they wrap [St-Pierre's] hands, Jake Shields said, ‘Cool, see you later.’ And then they came back later and said they wanted another guy to look at the hand wraps and the commission said, ‘You already did the hand wraps. He’s gloved up. It’s over.’

“So then they started to freak out. But everything was taken care of. Then as soon as the fight was over, both hand wraps were cut off, put into bags and given to the commission.”

For St-Pierre, he simply chalked it up to a last-ditch effort by Diaz to mess with his noggin.

“Just before the fight, they send some guy to check my hand wrap,” St-Pierre expressed. “It was going back and forth, they were yelling in my locker room. Everything was about head games.

“It was crazy. First time someone played a lot of head games like this with me.”

While White and GSP tried to put hand wrap gate to bed, Diaz insinuated there might have been something funky with “Rush’s” wraps.

“This guy has no punching power, no offense. I’m sorry, you’re a wrestler,” Diaz stated. “I got hit with an elbow too, that didn’t cut me, but something hit me right here (pointing to left eye).

“Jake said he had an issue with his wraps. Maybe something was wrong with his wraps, I don’t know. I ain’t gonna accuse him of anything. I did get hit with one shot that didn’t feel like it was hard, it still opened a cut on my head.”

GSP greased and also ate some roid stew before the fight right after he acquired telekinetic powers from him butter-uppers.

What is the excuse counter up to now? Pre and post fight, it's getting up there, even for the Cesar Gracie camp...

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    What is the excuse counter up to now? Pre and post fight, it's getting up there, even for the Cesar Gracie camp...
    Oh I am sure a few more will still trickle out.

*Edit

Yuup... Nick Diaz insinuates photos of his training led to his defeat at UFC 158
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.

GSP has spinach before the fight which explains his dominant wrestling. He also used his x-ray vision to see what Nick was going to do during the fight through the walls. This is only after showering in vaseline and knowing when to go to bed on time.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

6. Default

The grease wasn't made up just wasn't concidered enough to change the outcome of the fight by the comm. This I believe to be nothing more than head games though.

I wish GSP could run through their whole camp.
    Earth! Fire! Wind! Water! Frankie Edgar!

Quote Originally Posted by The Donosaur View Post
    I wish GSP could run through their whole camp.
    Well, he is 2-0 against them.

I think George did cheat. He clearly had someone lacing Diaz' weed with estrogen pills. That's got to explain all his bitching.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

Every bit of this fight played out exactly as I expected. From how nick got the fight to the build up to the fight itself and now the post fight excuse parade. None of this surprises me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by disposableassassin View Post
    Suisse drunk I'm having the funsies people not like my crazy
    someone should take my phone when I'm drunk.

That whole camp is filled with d-bags. Really, is there a decent person within that group. And what do they do in their daily training and camps? It seems that they are stuck improving the skillset they like but not much evolution in MMA.

Thread Information