Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben Askren: “I am 100% sure I could beat GSP.”

Hybrid View

Default Ben Askren: “I am 100% sure I could beat GSP.”

Ben Askren:

Bellator welterweight champ Ben Askren has never lacked confidence in his career and rightfully so. After all, the decorated amateur wrestler is 11-0 since taking his talents to the cage, beating the likes of Lyman Good, Jay Hieron, Douglas Lima, and Karl Amoussou along the way. However, he may have actually bitten off more than he can chew this time around.

Like countless others, Askren tuned in to UFC 158 last night where he watched Georges St-Pierre successfully defend his title against Nick Diaz. Rather than praise St-Pierre’s performance in a one-sided decision win over Diaz, the approach GSP employed left a different impression on Askren.

“I am 100% sure I could beat GSP,” wrote Askren on Twitter. “GSP is no longer an aggressive striker. He will not out wrestle or grapple me. He gets tired.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I am 100% sure he couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I am 100% sure he couldn't.
    LOL my exact words.

Askren is a joke next to GSP. Fight some top 10 opponents then come talk about fighting GSP.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    LOL my exact words.

Askren is a joke next to GSP. Fight some top 10 opponents then come talk about fighting GSP.
    Funny thing is, Askren is praying for attention lately and has trolled Bisping recently, which was a fail on Ben's part.

This is the same guy who absolutely barely-squeaked by Jay Hieron, his biggest challenger to date. GSP's biggest and basically, last threat at WW is Hendricks, Askren isn't even a pimple on GSP's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    GSP's biggest and basically, last threat at WW is Hendricks, Askren isn't even a pimple on GSP's ass.
    Hendricks the biggest and last threat? Currently, there are 4 threats left: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Maia and Rory. I think Ellenberger and Rory are bigger threats than Hendricks (not that Hendricks isn't, because he definitely is).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Hendricks the biggest and last threat? Currently, there are 4 threats left: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Maia and Rory. I think Ellenberger and Rory are bigger threats than Hendricks (not that Hendricks isn't, because he definitely is).
    I think Maia is a huge threat. If he can take Fitch down and handle him like that then GSP could be in for a fight. Maia took five rounds of Anderson's standup, so you would think he could at least hang in the stand up long enough to get it to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I love Maia to death, but I think GSP keeps it standing, sprawls the night away and just uncorks on him for five rounds with his jab and awesome movement. Maia won't be able to velcro himself to GSP's back like he did Fitch(which while impressive, didn't really show me he could close the striking distance against GSP) and I think his striking is STILL too rudimentary for somebody with GSP's versatility.

Ellenberger has awesome power, but he fights dumb and gasses after two. That's a perfect recipe for someone with GSP's fight IQ to simply eat alive. GSP will take him down, drain him of his power and then pick him apart. I could really see GSP sneaking up for an armbar in the third on an exhausted Jake. Not a matchup I'm concerned about....

As for Rory, I didn't even entertain a matchup between the two because they train together and in all honesty, by the time Rory gets his shot, I see GSP either retiring or relinquishing the title to fight Anderson.

I think this version of gsp... he could give him a damn good run for his money.

dimerules28 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Big Country View Post
    I think this version of gsp... he could give him a damn good run for his money.
    Then you sir, are retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by dimerules28 View Post
    Then you sir, are retarded.
    I wasnt impressed with GSP in the Diaz fight. Call me retarded then and sign me up for the short bus.

Thread Information