Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben Askren: “I am 100% sure I could beat GSP.”

he's 100% delusional but im more interested in what the UFC would be willing to pay for him when its happens someday. The guy isnt very entertaining though he can finish fights I wonder what he's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by kingrobert View Post
    Gsp would use the same gameplan he did against Shields and Kos... He would keep the fight standing and beat a below average striker in Askren
    Too bad GSP is getting KTFO by Hendricks in the 1st round. I kid... maybe
    Anderson Silva:
    Best Fighter on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    I am 100% sure he couldn't.
    LOL my exact words.

Askren is a joke next to GSP. Fight some top 10 opponents then come talk about fighting GSP.
    Fedor Emelianenko is the Greatest P4P MMA fighter to ever walk the earth, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by stpierrecanada View Post
    LOL my exact words.

Askren is a joke next to GSP. Fight some top 10 opponents then come talk about fighting GSP.
    Funny thing is, Askren is praying for attention lately and has trolled Bisping recently, which was a fail on Ben's part.

This is the same guy who absolutely barely-squeaked by Jay Hieron, his biggest challenger to date. GSP's biggest and basically, last threat at WW is Hendricks, Askren isn't even a pimple on GSP's ass.

GSP's biggest and basically, last threat at WW is Hendricks, Askren isn't even a pimple on GSP's ass.
    Hendricks the biggest and last threat? Currently, there are 4 threats left: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Maia and Rory. I think Ellenberger and Rory are bigger threats than Hendricks (not that Hendricks isn't, because he definitely is).

6. Default

Nope. Not Ben

There are three people that have a shot at GSP and they are

Jake E--HUGE KO POWER
    Johny--HUGE KO POWER
    Maia--GSP does not want this on the ground
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    Hendricks the biggest and last threat? Currently, there are 4 threats left: Hendricks, Ellenberger, Maia and Rory. I think Ellenberger and Rory are bigger threats than Hendricks (not that Hendricks isn't, because he definitely is).
    I think Maia is a huge threat. If he can take Fitch down and handle him like that then GSP could be in for a fight. Maia took five rounds of Anderson's standup, so you would think he could at least hang in the stand up long enough to get it to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by VimyRidge View Post
    Funny how people talk like GSP was fighting a couple of bums instead two of the top contenders in the division.
    I'm I must have missed when GSP fought Johnny hendricks after he beat carlos Condit. Because those were the two top contenders. Not Diaz . Not by a country fucking mile my man.
    Thats right bitches, gonna have to bling out the other hand soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I love Maia to death, but I think GSP keeps it standing, sprawls the night away and just uncorks on him for five rounds with his jab and awesome movement. Maia won't be able to velcro himself to GSP's back like he did Fitch(which while impressive, didn't really show me he could close the striking distance against GSP) and I think his striking is STILL too rudimentary for somebody with GSP's versatility.

Ellenberger has awesome power, but he fights dumb and gasses after two. That's a perfect recipe for someone with GSP's fight IQ to simply eat alive. GSP will take him down, drain him of his power and then pick him apart. I could really see GSP sneaking up for an armbar in the third on an exhausted Jake. Not a matchup I'm concerned about....

As for Rory, I didn't even entertain a matchup between the two because they train together and in all honesty, by the time Rory gets his shot, I see GSP either retiring or relinquishing the title to fight Anderson.

I love Maia to death, but I think GSP keeps it standing, sprawls the night away and just uncorks on him for five rounds with his jab and awesome movement. Maia won't be able to velcro himself to GSP's back like he did Fitch(which while impressive, didn't really show me he could close the striking distance against GSP) and I think his striking is STILL too rudimentary for somebody with GSP's versatility.
    Although that's exactly how I would've imagined it when Maia said he was dropping to WW, his wrestling and strength at this weight class have just been incredible. He's taking guys down like Fitch, Story and Kim, which is something I wouldn't have thought. Sure, GSP does have better TDD, but people have rarely tested it in the last few fights. Koscheck was able to get a TD on GSP and if Maia did that, I don't think GSP gets up as easily. Also, if he just tries to pop up when he's taken down, that leaves him quite vulnerable to lose position. I also don't think he fears GSP's standup like he did against Anderson, so he's not going to slow his aggression.

Maia has been really showing his strengths to a different level at WW, and until he gets shut down before he faces GSP or when he faces GSP, I still think he's a viable threat.

Ellenberger has awesome power, but he fights dumb and gasses after two. That's a perfect recipe for someone with GSP's fight IQ to simply eat alive. GSP will take him down, drain him of his power and then pick him apart. I could really see GSP sneaking up for an armbar in the third on an exhausted Jake. Not a matchup I'm concerned about....
    I don't think Ellenberger fights that dumb. In he last few fights, he fought well even though he got caught against Kampmann. He knows what GSP will do; try to take him down which is actually incredibly tough against Ellenberger. We all know that Ellenberger has the wrestling skills, but I think Ellenberger has better explosiveness in his hips than guys like Hendricks or Fitch or Kos to stop the takedown. On the feet, GSP will be very cautious but Ellenberger has been showing some solid technique, speed and power in his hands. He however needs to check the kicks better. I agree with you about his cardio; this has always been a concern.

The reason I like Ellenberger over Hendricks is mainly based on his technique and defense, as other aspects are quite similar. Hendricks has struck gold with his leaping left hooks with his chin out, but one day he may pay for that. Ellenberger doesn't make those mistakes when throwing power.

As for Rory, I didn't even entertain a matchup between the two because they train together and in all honesty, by the time Rory gets his shot, I see GSP either retiring or relinquishing the title to fight Anderson.
    Good point, but who knows what can happen. Until then, I've just kept him as a viable threat. Rory just needs to get some bloody fights in.

Thread Information