Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ben Askren: “I am 100% sure I could beat GSP.”

If Maia is a threat how isn't Askren a threat? Maia isn't about to submit GSP but he could possibly take him down and hold him down for 5 rounds. Wouldn't Askren do the same thing, with a much better wrestling pedigree then Maia.

I am not saying Askren would beat GSP, he probably wouldn't. But anyone that thinks Maia is a threat needs to say Askren is a threat.
    Dude, I’m a wrestler. I’m the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. That’s all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. MMA View Post
    I don't think Ellenberger fights that dumb. In he last few fights, he fought well even though he got caught against Kampmann. He knows what GSP will do; try to take him down which is actually incredibly tough against Ellenberger. We all know that Ellenberger has the wrestling skills, but I think Ellenberger has better explosiveness in his hips than guys like Hendricks or Fitch or Kos to stop the takedown. On the feet, GSP will be very cautious but Ellenberger has been showing some solid technique, speed and power in his hands. He however needs to check the kicks better. I agree with you about his cardio; this has always been a concern.

The reason I like Ellenberger over Hendricks is mainly based on his technique and defense, as other aspects are quite similar. Hendricks has struck gold with his leaping left hooks with his chin out, but one day he may pay for that. Ellenberger doesn't make those mistakes when throwing power.
    I'll concede that Maia is a viable threat to GSP considering how great he's looked since the drop, however I also don't see GSP taking too many more fights after Hendricks at WW, so much of my stance on a GSP/Maia matchup is, like Rory, a fight I don't see happening. That said, I really think GSP's cardio and timing on the feet and constant movement from the periphery are something that Maia won't be able to compete with. I see Maia trying to come in for a trip and eating shots. Maybe I'm downgrading Fitch and Story, but GSP is a far superior athlete and I think he outworks Maia to levels we haven't seen before....

As for Ellenberger, while he looked great in the Nate fight and is probably one of the most dangerous 2 round fighters, he gave away the Kampmann fight and nearly threw away the Diego fight because of his cardio. I think he gives fighters too many looks and I think GSP outworks him and breaks him down to time his strikes, gas him and then score an armbar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Muss View Post
    Wow I wonder how many people wouldn't fall asleep during that fight
    It happened to me during GSP vs Shields. First time I ever fell asleep watching a live fight.
    Gothic flavor
    how I miss you
    if I only
    once could
    kiss you
    I'd be happy
    for one moment
    of my lifetime
    I'd be there.

Weezer
    Burndt Jam.

See Koscheck fights.
    A tiger never loses sleep over the opinion of sheep.

I would love to see mop top fight GSP and get thouroughly schooled and humilated. I'm thinking Aoki vs Melendez, but much more embarrasing.....
    Scarface: Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, you're cool, and fuck you, I'm out!

"I don't call the fighting in my films 'violent', I call it 'action'. An action film borders between fantasy and reality. If I were to be completely realistic in my films, you would call me a violent, bloody man. I would simply destroy my opponent by tearing his guts out. I wouldn't do it so artistically." ~Bruce Lee

I decided to read some of Askren's twitter posts and man that guy trolls hard!

Thread Information