Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rick Story: I want to fight Jake Ellenberger!

Default Rick Story: I want to fight Jake Ellenberger!

Rick Story: "I want to fight Jake Ellenberger!" - Five Ounces of Pain : Five Ounces of Pain

Welterweights Rick Story and Jake Ellenberger are two of the UFCs higher-profile fighters at 170 pounds. However, in 2008 both were relegated to the regional scene as potential-laden talents trying to stamp their names on the sport of MMA. And, as chance would have it, the two faced off at a SportFight event with Story emerging as winner thanks to a Unanimous Decision nod.

Now, nearly five years later, Ellenberger is seen by most as the superior scrapper thanks to stumbles in three of Storys last five fights despite a solid six-fight streak prior to the rough patch. Supporting the notion, both men fought last weekend at UFC 158 where Ellenberger battled Nate Marquardt on the PPV portion of the card while Story was relegated to the prelims where he mixed it up with Quinn Mulhern.

The situation coupled with their history has apparently gotten Story thinking and, as he made clear in a recent post on Facebook, he wants to get his hands on Ellenberger again to prove he deserves the spotlight currently planted on The Juggernaut.

I want to fight Jake Ellenberger, Story exclaimed. It pisses me off that hes getting all of the accolades when I already beat him. Its annoying that people keep making the excuse for Jake well that was earlier in your guys career. OK, even back then he had 3X times the amount of fights that I had.

When the two initially tussled, Story was 4-2 in comparison to Ellenberger being 16-4. Of course, Story isnt just looking at the past when it comes to his rationale behind the rumble with Ellenberger.

Also, lets look at more recent times he got knocked out by Martin Kampmann in the second round where as I went the distance with Kampmann with one leg, added Story. The bottom line is I want to be in the position he is in right now and if I have to beat his ass again to get there then lets do it!
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

2. Default

The two are in the top 3 who haven't faced GSP yet, but with GSP up in the air after Hendricks not sure if a good idea or not. If some of the GSP talk is true and becomes the vanity fight queen than retires may change if the two want to fight now or later for the interuim belt. Of course some of GSP's talk was he was going to beat the heck out of Nick and all's we got was a jab and control match from him as before. I know he's being smart using the rules of judges the best and don't blame him just not a fan of it. To me GSP uses 90% control and 10% on finish, and may be high on the finish rate. Wasn't Hardy his last real attempt at a sub and Hardy was/is a pour ground guy.

Quote Originally Posted by lwbrewer View Post
    Of course some of GSP's talk was he was going to beat the heck out of Nick and all's we got was a jab and control match from him as before. .
    You're just fishing here aren't you! GSP did stand with Nick, laid down some nice shots, and controlled a lot of the exchanges. He controlled the bottom and landed shots while avoiding any type of sweeps and subs.

I would have liked to have seen more GnP with GSP throwing more knees, ala Serra & Penn. He battered those guys! And that's what I had hoped to see.
    Wasn't Hardy his last real attempt at a sub and Hardy was/is a pour ground guy
    St. Pierre has numerous subs to his record and a few are well known for who he put them on in the UFC. Not trying to sound like a smartass, I just think you're baiting for a debate.

Edit: As soon as I responded I reread that quote. I don't want to edit my reply, it's was said so it's there. I stand corrected on you saying his 'last' real attempt.

What Rick means to say is "man, I really don't like winning"

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

What bothers me about a guy that wins most fights by decisions and that make it pretty apparent that they are not in there to finish the fight but indeed to win it by decision, is that it hinders the guy going in there with a different mentality (the mentality to finish the fight). I think it takes away from the sport. I think a decent comparison would be to fouls in a game of basketball, they are abused (like with Shaq), people are benefiting from a weakness in the games rules. Fouls weren't implemented in the game of basketball to help teams stop the clock at the end of the game, they were also not implemented for people to pick on players with low free throw accuracy, those are just ways in which they are exploited.

The judges are there in case the fight does not end, that doesn't mean a fighter should go in there and try to fight each round with the mentality of winning it in the judges eyes. I'm definitely not going to call that cheating, but in my book, its certainly cheap.

I am not speaking specifically about GSP here, as he in my mind is not the only one who fights this way.

Also, "boring" fights are not my issue. I was defending the Machida/Hendo fight, as I thought it was actually pretty cool and very technical.

I see Maia/Ellenberger getting the next matchup since Kampmann probably still isn't awake from the Hendricks obliteration.

If Nate doesn't get cut, an original matchup of the bout that he got pulled from against Story could work. Aside from that, I see Story more in the Kos/Pierce/Lawler/Tarec/Stungun post top ten level matchups to rebuild that momentum to make another run at the top ten....

Quote Originally Posted by TBEAR View Post
    IHe needs to let loose and throw powershots. WHile jabs are effective they are not the end a fight shot
    Wouldn't disagree at all. He put himself in position to deliver knee strikes to the body and he gave one good one. He should have been more aggressive.

I wasn't for it going to a decision. I wanted to see both guys lay it all out there and someone finish. I'd prefer to see GSP get beat than to watch another decision.

When you have two wins in your last 5 fights, and those wins were against Brock Jardine and Quinn Mulhern, you shouldn't be getting the #2 contender in the division. Both Ellenberger and Maia have way too much hype behind them with their recent wins (and in the fashion they did it) to not face each other for the next #1 contender.

I don't mind if Story gets Marquardt though.

9. Default

I forgot about Maia being in the div. and his udder control he had over Fitch. My question on GSP after hendricks is what is he going to do fight wise? Everything he said going into the Daiz fight was just talk no action in terms of trying to finish. So is he going to take time off to make a run a Silva?

No I wasn't troll fishing before, but I do like to read others opinions as things I miss they point out as Dr.MMA did with Maia.

Thread Information