Thread: Darren Elkins replaces Clay Guida, fights Chad Mendes at UFC on Fox 7

Default Darren Elkins replaces Clay Guida, fights Chad Mendes at UFC on Fox 7

Darren Elkins replaces Clay Guida, fights Chad Mendes at UFC on Fox 7 - Bloody Elbow

on Saturday, stopping Antonio Carvalho at UFC 158 in the first round. A 5-0 record certainly merits a step up in competition, and with Clay Guida injured, Elkins will be fighting one month later in San Jose against Chad Mendes. MMA Junkie reported the story earlier today.

Elkins (16-2 MMA, 6-1 UFC) is the only man with a 5-0 FW record in the UFC, and the win over Carvalho marked his first UFC finish at either LW or FW. Mendes is unquestionably the best opponent he's faced to date, and an upset victory would vault him into the title picture.

Mendes (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is crossing his fingers that Elkins can actually stay healthy for this one, as the former title challenger has lost Manny Gamburyan, Hacran Dias, and Guida to injuries in a 3 month span. He was left off of UFC 157 entirely and rescheduled for UFC on Fox 7 when Gamburyan withdrew and officials couldn't find a suitable replacement.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

Elkins is getting dusted. Wonder where Frankie and Cub were on this matchup? Maybe a little too late notice, but goddamn, Mendes is a top ranked guy.

Finally they're matching Elkins up against someone that'll put a stop to his boring ass style. Mendes finishes this in the first.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

^HAHA

Mendes is as boring as anyone.

Sure he may have tko'd Mckenzie, but at least Elkins did the same to Carvalho. Both guys are just grinders against anyone mid-top level. Though Mendes is the better grinder. I'd love to see Elkins find a way to win, but I doubt it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dbader08 View Post
    ^HAHA

Mendes is as boring as anyone.

Sure he may have tko'd Mckenzie, but at least Elkins did the same to Carvalho. Both guys are just grinders against anyone mid-top level. Though Mendes is the better grinder. I'd love to see Elkins find a way to win, but I doubt it happens.
    Against top tier fighters, Mendes isn't as dominant, because there isn't such a disparity in skillset. Guys like Meza and McKenzie got owned because they aren't in Mendes' league and by the looks of Elkins' striking, he's going to get merc'd....

Quote Originally Posted by Fedorlei Gomipierre View Post
    Against top tier fighters, Mendes isn't as dominant, because there isn't such a disparity in skillset. Guys like Meza and McKenzie got owned because they aren't in Mendes' league and by the looks of Elkins' striking, he's going to get merc'd....
    ^this.

I hate it too because I was interested in a fight between him and guida.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Elkins deserved to draw a Nik Lentz, this fight is way too deep end for him...

Yeah I agree. I've kind of though Elkins' style of grinding is decently entertaining, though...and that last fight was pretty sweet.

But he's pretty basic and stiff with his striking and just kind of walks forward. Mendes should definitly be able to beat him up on the feet.

Elkins deserved to draw a Nik Lentz, this fight is way too deep end for him...
    Elkins/lentz would be a nice fight.

move one's bowels to a chicken coop. Kill chickens and pick up feathers. They blow the whistle on for 10 ea on forums. Also bury the bones you find.

Thread Information