+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hendricks' hand not broken, wants GSP in August

Default Hendricks' hand not broken, wants GSP in August

Hendricks' hand not broken, wants GSP in August - Mixed Martial Arts News

However, three days after the event, Hendricks revealed his hand is free of major injuries and he will be ready to challenge reigning 170-pound kingpin Georges St. Pierre for the title whenever the champion is ready to return to mixed martial arts (MMA) action (he prefers August).

Ariel Helwani provided the following update on Hendricks' health on Tuesday's (March 19, 2013) edition of "UFC Tonight" on FUEL TV:

"Of course he had the big win on Saturday night, and after the win over Carlos Condit, he told us that he was afraid he may have broken his dangerous left hand. Well, that does not appear to be the case. I spoke to him today and he said he thinks what happened was he dislocated a couple of fingers early in the fight and then as the fight went on --of course it went the full 15-minutes-- it popped back into place. That's why he was feeling so much pain after the fight but right now he doesn't think he broke his hand and he's going to have an x-ray just to make sure everything's okay, but he's pretty confident there was no break. He's hoping that he'll get the title shot against GSP in August. He says he'll take it anywhere, anyplace, anytime. He's really still on cloud nine after getting the shot, he's in such a good mood right now."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

I think Johny can beat GSP. There I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by AnchorPunch View Post
    So if I don't sin, when I die, I go to Canada? Right?

That's very good to hear, because his wrestling and punching power is much better than GSP's and I can see him taking the belt.
    He lacks technicality, reach, and speed, but if he catches GSP with any of the punches he caught Condit with it's Night Night for the Champ.
    Sorry Fedor, but Dan Henderson is the G.O.A.T.

Favorite Fighter: JIM MILLER.
    Scariest Dude on the Planet: TYRONE SPONG.
    Other Favorites: Chris Lytle, Martin Kampmann, Joe Lauzon, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Conor McGregor, Paul Daley, Ross Pearson, Donald Cerrone, Renan Barao, Glover Texiera, & Alistair Overeem.

"He doesn't write his own material. Some homo in Queens living in his mother's basement in his underwear is writing Chael's material for him." - DON FRYE.

I just want to see how GSP handles a guy like Hendricks. Hendricks is going to come forward and try to take GSP's head off all 5 rounds. No one has really had the skill set to try and do that with GSP. I am sure GSP will find a way to win but with the way Hendrick fights all he needs is one to land and it could be all over.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

In my head I want to think that Hendricks poses a legit threat to GSP like I wanted to think that Diaz did. But in reality I knew that GSP was going to grind Diaz down and I think that GSP will break Hendricks mentally within the first two rounds. First Hendricks will find out that he can't land a power shot on GSP because of his quick jab and a really good outside game, that will lead him to try and grapple GSP and will also soon find out that GSP can out grapple him. By the third round he will look paralyzed as he is running out of ideas on what to do.

Honestly I think the WW that poses the biggest threat to GSP is Maia, because Maia is outstanding in one aspect of the game, for the first time we would see someone who would actually want to take the fight to the ground with GSP. Hendricks is a great fighter with all around skill but not better than GSP in any one are (except punching power), so I dont give him much of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bork_Lazer View Post
    In my head I want to think that Hendricks poses a legit threat to GSP like I wanted to think that Diaz did. But in reality I knew that GSP was going to grind Diaz down and I think that GSP will break Hendricks mentally within the first two rounds. First Hendricks will find out that he can't land a power shot on GSP because of his quick jab and a really good outside game, that will lead him to try and grapple GSP and will also soon find out that GSP can out grapple him. By the third round he will look paralyzed as he is running out of ideas on what to do.

Honestly I think the WW that poses the biggest threat to GSP is Maia, because Maia is outstanding in one aspect of the game, for the first time we would see someone who would actually want to take the fight to the ground with GSP. Hendricks is a great fighter with all around skill but not better than GSP in any one are (except punching power), so I dont give him much of a chance.
    How come we are just assuming GSP will take Hendricks and Hendricks will not be able to take GSP down? I know history has shown GSP has an uncanny ability to put anyone on their back but Hendricks has shown the same thing.

They both fought Koscheck and both scored around a 35% takedown success rate against him. Koscheck also has a 25% success rate against both of them. So at least with one single common fighter they had the same success.

Hendricks on paper is probably the best wrestler GSP has fought. 4x All-American, 2x Champion and 3x Finalist. I would not just assume GSP is going to take Hendricks down at will. If Diaz can stuff GSP, you better believe Hendricks can.
    Dude, Iím a wrestler. Iím the best wrestler in MMA. Wrestling IS, was and always has been the most dominate form of mix martial art on the planet. Thatís all there is to it. We all know it, some people want to fight it, some people want doubt it but wresters rule the MMA world. -
    Ben Askren

Hendricks better step up his cardio if he wants to have a chance to deal with GSP, if Hendricks can't pull it out in the first 10 minutes, I think GSP wins another decision.

I think Condit would have beaten Hendricks had their fight gone 5 rounds. Hendricks was still securing takedowns in the 3rd, but his punches didn't have nearly as much on them, and he looked to be fading.

Based on the Condit fight, if GSP ties up with Hendricks for the first 2 rounds, makes Hendricks defend the takedown, puts him against the cage like he did to Penn in their 2nd fight, GSP should be able to safely win 3, 4 and 5 by circling left with his jab.

Quote Originally Posted by Masscore View Post
    How come we are just assuming GSP will take Hendricks and Hendricks will not be able to take GSP down? I know history has shown GSP has an uncanny ability to put anyone on their back but Hendricks has shown the same thing.

They both fought Koscheck and both scored around a 35% takedown success rate against him. Koscheck also has a 25% success rate against both of them. So at least with one single common fighter they had the same success.

Hendricks on paper is probably the best wrestler GSP has fought. 4x All-American, 2x Champion and 3x Finalist. I would not just assume GSP is going to take Hendricks down at will. If Diaz can stuff GSP, you better believe Hendricks can.
    I just don't see this fight being much different then GSP v Koscheck or Fitch. Sure, maybe Hendricks' wrestling is better than Koscheck, but if so, not by much, as illustrated by their fight which was very close, probably more of a draw then a win for Hendricks. I don't think Hendricks is really bringing something new to the table, something that GSP hasn't already taken care of. I think Hendricks is very comparable to Koscheck, even if he is better, he still has the same game only slightly better. In no way am I hating on Hendricks, I think he is great and can destroy most of the division, just don't think he has what it takes to take down George.

What I have not yet seen though is GSP against someone who in my mind is clearly one of if not the best BJJ practitioner in the sport, in Maia.

Hendricks is going to have the Chris Weidman affect here. Where people think he can actually beat GSP but when the fight actually happens Hendricks becomes just another stat on GSP's record and another W in the win column much like Weidman will be for Silva and his record.

Whatcha gonna do Brother, when the New World Order destroys you?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information