Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Off the record' weigh in rules change at UFC 158

Default 'Off the record' weigh in rules change at UFC 158

'Off the record' weigh in rules change at UFC 158 - Mixed Martial Arts News

The convention in mixed martial arts is to allow a one pound weight allowance for all fights, EXCEPT title bouts, where the fighters must make the numbered weight.

A video recently surfaced, taken shorlty before the UFC 158 weigh in, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Senior Vice President of Business and Legal Affairs and Assistant General Counsel for the UFC Michael Mersh conveys news from the Quebec AC to Nick Diaz and his camp that things were going to be a little different at the UFC 158 weigh in.

.9 of a pound different.

Mersch comes up to Diaz and shakes his hand. The audio is inaudible at points, but most of the dialogue is clear.

"Here, they're going to allow you and Georges to have an extra hour," Mersch says. "Just in case somebody doesn't make it."

"But the good news is, they don't count the decimal. If you're 170.2 it's 170. If it's 170.9. it's 170."

A member of the Diaz camp responds, asking "why didn't we know that before?"

Mersch continues.

"Should be fine, hopefully, other than that. Just so you guys are in the loop, if there's …"

Again, a member of the Diaz camps responds, asking "why didn't you tell us that yesterday?"

Mersch continues.

"Well, no," he says. "It's just something to keep in mind. That's kind of an off the record type of thing. But keep that in mind. As long as he's under 171, we should be good.

"But, there is a time period afterwards, for you and Georges only. All the other fighters have to make it the first time. Just letting you guys be in the loop, okay?"

"Good luck."

A member of the Diaz camp quips, "that's a loophole... A Canadian loophole."
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

...? This is news?

Let me get this straight, for title bouts, you need to make 170 pounds, you can't be a pound under or over (169/171) unlike regular fights. However, the Canadians allow you to be anywhere from 170.0 - 170.9.

Holy. Shit. You can fight at nine tenths of a pound heavier than usual!

3. Default

LOL

I give up

The fight is over
    "...for he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." William Shakespeare

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it." Helen Keller

the point is that it was a shady move and in the VIDEO the guy says to keep it on the low.

5. Default

Dumbest shit ever.
    There are many paths to freedom, not all are peaceful

6. Default

My interpitation was regular fights allow+ 1 lb. title fights 0.5 lb not spouting fact just my understanding of it. From posts after the fight it sounds like GSP had some problems that concerned them he might not make weight as it was, and that would of been a big hit the Canadian commission didn't wish to take.
    Now if GSP didn't make weight that would/could of made it a non title fight if it happend. Even if this was a favor for GSP it was in Nicks best interest for it to happen.

Didn't notice this was being already discussed in the media section.. Dbader's thread:http://www.mmanews.com/forums/mma-pi...ml#post1016716
    Last edited by Cat--Smasher; 03-22-2013 at 07:17 PM.
    And if you want beef, then bring the ruckus

not sure why this is a big deal?
    Come check out my video game stream!
    http://www.twitch.tv/el_dpay

Quote Originally Posted by FE_EatsChildren View Post
    not sure why this is a big deal?
    They changed the rules for GSP, not for everyone, just because GSP might have had a problem cutting the weight.
    Like I said before, I know he brings in a lot of revenue but let's keep it clean and fair for everyone.

Lol at GSP fanboys turning a blind eye.

If this were a common thing in Canada then why in the hell would they call it an "off the record thing"?

People inscinuating that people who have an issue with it automatically think Diaz would have won if GSP were allowed to cut .9 less of a pound are idiots. That's not the issue. The issue is that we've never heard of this before until now and that they didn't tell Diaz about it until he was just getting ready to weigh in. Shouldn't somebody let you know about that before your finished cutting all of your weight?

This is obviously shady, whether it made a difference in the fight or not. Which, obviously it wouldn't have.

Thread Information